daydreaming

Any non accordion related chat & banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!
henrikhank
Intermediate
Intermediate

daydreaming

Post by henrikhank » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:44 am

I have read that people (including me) often daydream while doing something.
I have seen people who just grab an instrument and play. It's like they put their daydreaming ability into music.
Then you could say that practicing is focused daydreaming (which coyld lead into analysing as well).
Have any of you experienced this when doing something you really like (which doesn't have to be music)?
Would you speak about it in different ways?

lmschgo
Beginner
Beginner

Re: daydreaming

Post by lmschgo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I believe the focused daydreaming that you described is the result of the release of endorphins, the body's natural opiates. Physical exercise often produces this effect. Long distance runners often refer to the "runner's high" produced by this chemical release in the body during a run. In addition to exercise, other potential triggers can be eating your favorite food (comfort food -mine is homemade chicken soup), a pleasant scent, socializing with friends. and even a hearty laugh. So, I imagine accordion playing can do the same.

In addition to running and sometimes accordion playing when I am playing a favorite or well practiced song, I often experience the focused daydreaming when performing a simple, and often repetitive acts or motions: reading a good book, watering the garden, long walks, painting, and even long drives in the car.

lmschgo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lmschgo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:00 pm

I believe the focused daydreaming that you described is the result of the release of endorphins, the body's natural opiates. Physical exercise often produces this effect. Long distance runners often refer to the "runner's high" produced by this chemical release in the body during a run. In addition to exercise, other potential triggers can be eating your favorite food (comfort food -mine is homemade chicken soup), a pleasant scent, socializing with friends. and even a hearty laugh. So, I imagine accordion playing can do the same.

In addition to running and sometimes accordion playing when I am playing a favorite or well practiced song, I often experience the focused daydreaming when performing a simple, and often repetitive acts or motions: reading a good book, watering the garden, long walks, painting, and even long drives in the car.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:31 pm

isn't this pretty natural for all human beings?

I have two activities which I associate with daydreaming the most : riding a motorcycle and any lengthy repetitive chores. For me this creates some feeling of detachement. The mind wanders.

With the instrument I experience playing by heart as 'daydreaming', the mind wanders, but this time still attached to the music. The other way around : in most basic chords/keys I can play simple folksy tunes while improvising them in my head.

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm

That's pretty much the same for me jozz. Making up bits of music "on the fly" when you're miles away.

They told us not to daydream when we were driving buses full of passengers, as the local hospital couldn't cope with more than one full bus load of casualties at a time. Never managed to collide with a motorcycle, but I did get a pedal cyclist once. Cost me a week's wages on unpaid suspension, plus £100 fine and 3 points on my licence. He actually hit my bus on a roundabout where I had priority, but UK law classes cyclists as "vulnerable road users" and bus drivers being "professional drivers" are supposed to do everything in their power to avoid colliding with them. Difficult when you're daydreaming. (Actually, I was blinded by the tropical Scottish sun, otherwise I'd have seen him).

Sometimes dream I can play the accordion very well, but it never lasts long!

henrikhank
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by henrikhank » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm
That's pretty much the same for me jozz. Making up bits of music "on the fly" when you're miles away.

They told us not to daydream when we were driving buses full of passengers, as the local hospital couldn't cope with more than one full bus load of casualties at a time. Never managed to collide with a motorcycle, but I did get a pedal cyclist once. Cost me a week's wages on unpaid suspension, plus £100 fine and 3 points on my licence. He actually hit my bus on a roundabout where I had priority, but UK law classes cyclists as "vulnerable road users" and bus drivers being "professional drivers" are supposed to do everything in their power to avoid colliding with them. Difficult when you're daydreaming. (Actually, I was blinded by the tropical Scottish sun, otherwise I'd have seen him).

Sometimes dream I can play the accordion very well, but it never lasts long!
So the runner's high is alright but not the bus driver's high?
I laughed when I wrote this but it's a serious question.

In my original post I mention daydreaming but I didn't just mean like thinking thought like if you were öooking outside the window on the train. Rather I meant letting your music be the daydreaming and your finger or vocal fold expressing this. Has this ever happened to you?
I saw a video with a blues pianist and the played through the full accompaniment while talking to the audience. But he wasn't too focused on the music I guess since je was able to speak and played at the same time. I wish I could do this.

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm

I can breathe and play at the same time, but not much else.

I regularly used to just pick up the accordion and make up little bits of tunes as I played along. Yes, I supose I was pretty much detached from everything else around me, but there is no way I could hold a conversation with anybody while playing, and don't think many pro players could do it either.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm
I can breathe and play at the same time, but not much else.
Well, you beat me in that department. I rerecorded something with the mic pointing differently to get less breathing noise. Apparently I was too stupid to breathe and play at the same time and thus had to breathe exactly when switching bellows direction. Specifically when having long phrases and overextending the bellows apparently I was holding the breath.

WaldoW
Expert
Expert

Post by WaldoW » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 am

I have not yet experienced this phenomenon with my accordion, although I look forward to it happening. I suspect experience (muscle memory) plays a big part.

I rode dirt bikes (motorcycles) for over 50 years. I grew up in southern california, an hours drive from unlimited riding grounds (the Mojave desert). Once I reached a sufficient level of competence, I would find myself flying across the dez at 60-70 mph (100-110kph) without a care in the world and thinking of something completely different. Taking jumps, crossing whoop-de-doo's, dodging desert tortoise's ( tortoisi?) all while somewhere else mentally. Interestingly, we referred to it as "Finding our rhythm", a nice tie to music. I had the same experience with racing Karts at up to 140mph (225kph). An hour race is a long time to stay focused.

I believe the brain steps in when required, and circumvents the mind. Back in 1968 I raced in the second running of the Mexican 1000 (now Baja 1000) off road race from Tiajuana to La Paz, Mexico, a full 1000 miles (1600km). The good news is we won our class. Yeah!, The bad news; it took us 36 hours to finish. The first 24 were OK, but then the visual hallucinations began, minor at first, they got more vivid and lavish as time wore on. I remember my co-driver coming to a stop on a stretch we should have been making 70mph on. I figured he was stopping to adjust himself, or something. But he just sat there, hands on the wheel, staring forward like a zombie. I finally yelled at him, "Johnny!", he looked over at me and I hollered, "Why are you stopping?" He yelled back "For the train." Well... there were no trains in Baja in 1968, and I'm pretty sure there are no trains in Baja to this day! When Johnny looked back, the train, crossing guards and flashing lights had all disappeared and off we went. There was no shortage of hallucinations for the rest of the race. We did manage to finish, but It wasn't our minds doing the driving, it was our brains. We were both pretty much incompetent at that point.
It's this same disconnect that I experienced riding motorcycles, and would love to achieve with my box. It provides some sort of freedom, to let the brain drive while the mind composes.

Press on...
Waldo

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

It is a trick of the mind? think you nailed it

Like when you're in the car driving, but only afterwards you notice that you haven't been paying attention up until then...or was it a trick and you actually were paying attention all the time...

When I perform, I play everything by heart and I sometimes surprise myself that I actually hit the right notes without thinking about it, but only notice afterwards. And then the next phrase already comes up and I'm focused again.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am

but if you start playing everything by heart and over and over again, eventually you'll reach some sort of detachement...or boredom :mrgreen: