Any diatonic players here ?

Any non accordion related chat & banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!
Corsaire
Star
Star

Re: Any diatonic players here ?

Post by Corsaire » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:47 pm

The box I was interested in was the little Hohner 2195. But recently I've been advised by a several players that the Hohner Morgane 2 (G-C) would be a far better bet. There are two or three inconveniences with the 2195 that the Morgane doesn't have. And it's a better sound.

Jazz - you're right about the air button. That's one of the inconveniences of the 2195 - it's awkwardly placed. The bass hand strap is also fixed. Neither of these things can be changed. Getting to know where the notes are will be a challenge !

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:03 pm

The whereabouts of the notes will be easy to follows by downloading a keyboard chart available on melnet (melodeon.net) website.

While the bass strap on the hohner is not readily adjustable it can be shortened or lenghtned by taking out the scres at one end and repositioning the strap.

As to whether or not to go for a GC it depends on type of music you want to play. CG is particularly popular for French music [tab=][/tab]
george

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Thank you, George. Yes, a chart would be most useful - and I would also have some lessons.
The GC is the logical one to go for as I will be playing French music. Many of the easier melodies sound very similar - I think it would be quite easy to start off with one tune and finish up with another !!
I'm very much looking forward to it.

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 pm

The great thing about the diatonic boxes is that one learns the tune on, say, a DG box (in D or G or their relative minors) ....pick up a GC box, play the same buttons and it comes out in G, C /relative minors.

***if only it was that simple ...the majority of GC players use the upper octave on the G row of a GC box so different fingering is required.
There are some tutor books around, none of them cheap ....at least I had a packet of salt included from Yann Dour :)

The bass strap is best replaced with the more modern velcro adjustable type from such as Charlie Marshall (http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical ... lcome.html)

...or do as I did, make one with stuff from ebay ....stapled until I can get me sewing machine working (!)

Which type of GC box are you looking for? Erica/Pokerwork/Corso/Corona ll or lll/ GCF Vallenato 3 voice (El Rey del Vallenato to give it its proper name)

...I just happen to have one of the latter for sale, as new, in black ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ9Bj1720Yk

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:44 am

The Vallenato certainly has a nice sound but I want a wooden box ! The Morgane 2 GC be a much better buy than the 2195 and I understand it's easier to play too. I'll get the chance to try them out and compare when I visit the accordion shop in Rennes at the end of next week.

There are plenty of diatonique teachers in this area which is fortunate.

hais1273
Star
Star

Post by hais1273 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:36 am

My wife is lucky enough to own and play A Castagnari Tomy, an older Hohner 2915 Pokerwork and a Hohner Merlin all C/G. The Castagnari is far and away the better instrument, responsive with a superb soft action, the dryer tuning sounds great, but she tells me, she finds the position of the accidentals at the end of the two rows "awkward".

The Pokerwork apparently needs a lot more effort to play. (The very assertive bass gives me headache, I might say.)

The Hohner Merlin is her go to instrument, she tells me it's easier to play because of the position of the two extra accidental buttons. It's slightly "dryer" tuned than the Pokerwork, but "wetter" than the Castagnari. It was bought at St Cecile the large music shop in St Brieuc, a bit of an impulse buy, she was slightly put out when she found they were a bit cheaper here in the UK! PM me if you want more info.

Brittany is just the place for diato lessons. Lucky you! We've seen diato classes "pour debutantes" advertised all over France. Brittany has many fine players, Yann Dour, Alain Pennec, Mike James.....!

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 am

Regarding where all the notes are, funny story:

When I started out a couple of months ago with some simple tabs for C/F I was convinced something was off...

After 1 month in I became aware I had "Club" layout.

{}

dunlustin
Superstar
Superstar

Post by dunlustin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 am

I'm a bit surprised that you are leaning towards a new Hohner.
I had a Morgane for a few years but was never comfortable with it.(Afterthought: it was a G/D and shrill -maybe the reason)
Years ago there was a trend to 're-reeding' (then) German Hohners for a more Italian sound but given the number of makers around now, that's not a likely option. You are in the land of plenty for the diatonique - I wonder why you'd not look at the used market. There seems to be loads (eg: https://diatoccaz.fr/Offres_diatonique.html ) and at good prices.
I might have mentioned diouflo before; half of which is diatonic and much of it very Breton.
Any how - the start of a great new (ad)venture
Last edited by dunlustin on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:03 am

I always use my thumb for the two chin end accidentals for the simple reason that the thumb is designed to move much further sideways than are the fingers ! To use the thumb two properly adjusted shoulder straps are best rather than one long strap

george

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 am

Some interesting things to think about there. I'm not completely sold on the Morgane - the accordion shop has a very good selection (including of course Castagniari !) so I can at least have a feel for the instrument. The ideal would be to find a decent secondhand one ...

Interesting point about the thumb. I'm surprised to see many players resting the thumb of their left hand on the side of the box. When I queried it with a friend, he said it was to help close the bellows. I was a wee bit surprised - I've never needed to do that with a PA, so why should a diatonique be any different ? Apart from anything else, my arthritic thumbs would object strongly. I've noticed some players using their right hand thumbs to play - why not ?

It's interesting how even in a short time, my views on the 2915 Pokerwork have changed. I liked its wet sound to begin with but have now come around to preferring something a little drier. The drier sound is much better for Breton dance music. We'll see ...

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:25 am

Have a chat with Dave Jolly, he's not far from Rennes, he's on facebook and has a website 'Jollybox'
The Morgane suffered with buttons falling off when it was first introduced, it was never massively popular.

you could always have a run up to the late Bernard Loffet's shop but do check when it's open ;)

https://davejolly.bandcamp.com/releases

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am

There's always the option of stripping off the celluloid ...

https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com ... -over.html

Bear in mind that it's a DG, a GC would sound less strident

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 pm

bocsa wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:25 am
Have a chat with Dave Jolly, he's not far from Rennes, he's on facebook and has a website 'Jollybox'
Thanks Graham. I tried to find him when I first joined this forum but failed miserably - I got the feeling he no longer lived in France ! I've found him on FB so will try and find him !

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Corsaire wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 pm
Thanks Graham. I tried to find him when I first joined this forum but failed miserably - I got the feeling he no longer lived in France ! I've found him on FB so will try and find him !
If you have any problem I'd be happy to pass on your email address if you send it via private message :)

***I've mailed him a link to this thread ;)

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Sally, I've just woken up :roll: to the fact that I have your email addr. ...let me know if you'd like me to pass it to Dave ...

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks for that Graham ! Don't worry, I've found his website and it has his contact details. It's aways good to know someone for repairs. I was also interested to see you can buy separate reed blocks - I didn't know such a thing existed. But then I know no more about the inner workings of an accordeon than I do about a car !!

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:59 pm

bocsa wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am
There's always the option of stripping off the celluloid ...
https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com ... -over.html
Bear in mind that it's a DG, a GC would sound less strident
I notice that there's the ABC tablature below - I downloaded Tunebook a while ago and it's a great place for storing tunes I like for playing later.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am

for any diatonic players who are not aware of it and indeed for anyone wanting to find out more about push pull boxes go to melodeon.net which is a very lively forum and a great source of expert advice etc, keyboard charts and more( I think there is a link from this forum)

That does not mean that diatonic stuff is irrelevant to this forum as 'diatonics' are just as much accordions as aare piano and continental boxes. I fact the first accordions c1829 were indeed ''diatonics''

george

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 am

george garside wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am
(...) the first accordions c1829 were indeed ''diatonics''
george
Not to be confused with Diet tonics ... which may help stop putting a few pounds on although the other will help you lose a few £s

Have coat, going now......