folk tune

Any non accordion related chat & banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!
Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

folk tune

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Wonderful, how he speeds up this folk tune on the english concertina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrM45PT9nRE
English Folk Tunes on English Concertina by Simon Keegan-Phipps Whitby Folk Week. #Tunesday

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: folk tune

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 am

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for posting this; it is a fine example of simple folk music.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 am

I had to turn it off when he said the title of the tune.... that donkey is my Bete Noir! ;)

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Stephen,

If only I had more time to play all these trad folk tunes on my accordion and EC...
Have hundreds of sheet music leaves waiting for me, but I keep playing the same tunes. No more than fifty.
In Belgium we don't have these great pub sessions like they have in Ireland, England, Scotland, ...
We have folk groups performing in pubs, but only every few months.
If we had such pub sessions, I would go there every week. Pub sessions by professionals or amateurs can be heart warming experiences.

Pleasant to read Simon Keegan-Phipps also plays the piano accordion:
"I'm interested in the organology of free-reed instruments, and am an experienced performer on the English concertina and piano accordion. I also perform regularly as a jazz pianist, and less regularly on trumpet, guitar, ukulele, tenor banjo, double bass and percussion."
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/music/staff ... eganphipps

kind regards,
Stephen

cat
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by cat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Fine playing. I really enjoy EC but need an upgrade instrument in order to spend more time with it. Posts like these always inspire me - thanks!

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello Stephen,

I am not telling you this to make you jealous, but we have eight or ten Folk Clubs within a fifteen minute drive of our home. These are of the play around/sing around kind, and are very welcoming and informal.

We also have an extremely large "not for profit" venue which supports music and arts. Prices range between £0 and £5, with separate rooms/floors staging a wide variety of musical genres. The old stable block is now a music workshop (run by a dear friend of mine) which is used to help less experienced folk musicians to progress.

I honestly don't think it would be possible to live in a better location for folk & acoustic music venues. Every Folk Club is well attended, and at least one club is open every night of the week.

At our club, we always say that people arrive as strangers, but leave as friends. Long may this continue.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:50 am

I'm always hungry for more trad and folk music in my area. On the other hand, attending one pub session with trad music is an energy boost that I can live on for months.

Keep up the good work in your folk club(s), those live trad sessions in pubs are vital for people and communities.

"people arrive as strangers, but leave as friends. Long may this continue."
Absolutely, I feel the same way about pub sessions.

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Hello Stephen,

I am sorry to learn that you do not enjoy the folk music infrastructure that I do, and wish it could be different for you. If you could find enough like-minded people in your area, perhaps you could collaborate with them to form your own folk club.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

boxplayer4000
Expert
Expert

Post by boxplayer4000 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 am

Stephen,
The tune on the concertina has parts and phrases which sound very like the well known mainstream Scottish tune known as 'Highland Laddie'.
Examples are common on YouTube. Here's one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjbrqcQ5Sw