Do We Need all those "Bells and Whistles"?

For the modern ones among us.
Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Do We Need all those

Post by Keymn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I think it boils down to whom we want to please, ourselves or the audience. There is always going to be replacement accordions/arrangers, etc. Those that spend money on new technology gives them that "temporary happiness". Like buying a new car!
When I bought my fr7, 2 months later, 7x then 8, 8x years later. Never thought of buying, buying like some were doing after a new model came out. I only considered fr3x, but never seriously (because it was smaller).
The only thing that sold me on the FR4x was the sound engine like FR8X . And of course the lighter weight.

As an full time entertainer, rely on audience eye contact and connection. That is what pays my bills. To be buried in to many "bells and whistles" could lose this connection.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Keymn wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:45 pm
I think it boils down to whom we want to please, ourselves or the audience.

To be buried in to many "bells and whistles" could lose this connection.
Well, if you don't please yourself, you don't get any pleasure from it. No pleasure from it and after a while, you won't even want to touch it. Actually, I think pleasing people is easier than pleasing yourself. For me, in the past, there was no harder person to please than me and trying to meet my standards. People... never had much issue pleasing them, just play the songs they like.

Technology... this is like a bell curve, a little adds a lot. A little more adds complexity. A bit more and you start to increase in the possibility of losing connectivity with them... but in the example that I gave, the most recent and highest tech absolutely adds to the experience for you AND the audience!

For example, the time it takes you to turn a page (press a foot pedal), and you are TOTALLY reconfigured in to completely different sounds and rhythms so zero time lost preparing for the next song! Now, toss in some quality wireless audio and MIDI, and you not only can concentrate on keeping eye contact, you can go and walk amongst the very people that you want to establish contact with! :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm

I have 23 gigs starting tomorrow through Nov. 1st. Some of them Assisted Living. Will not let my guard down to perform these gigs then at Country Club or Restaurant. Lots of energy will be spent on something I enjoyed for almost 50 years. Yes these are Oktoberfest gigs. What would you play 1-3 hours? Polka, Waltz, Oompa? How about Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"? One of the the many American songs that never fail. Why not open up your best songs the first set, close with "Up the Lazy River" heavy Gospel beat! This is my self satisfaction...getting the audience charged! A winner on both sides.

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 am

JerryPH wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm
Keymn wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:45 pm
I think it boils down to whom we want to please, ourselves or the audience.

To be buried in to many "bells and whistles" could lose this connection.
Well, if you don't please yourself, you don't get any pleasure from it. No pleasure from it and after a while, you won't even want to touch it. Actually, I think pleasing people is easier than pleasing yourself. For me, in the past, there was no harder person to please than me and trying to meet my standards. People... never had much issue pleasing them, just play the songs they like.

Technology... this is like a bell curve, a little adds a lot. A little more adds complexity. A bit more and you start to increase in the possibility of losing connectivity with them... but in the example that I gave, the most recent and highest tech absolutely adds to the experience for you AND the audience!

For example, the time it takes you to turn a page (press a foot pedal), and you are TOTALLY reconfigured in to completely different sounds and rhythms so zero time lost preparing for the next song! Now, toss in some quality wireless audio and MIDI, and you not only can concentrate on keeping eye contact, you can go and walk amongst the very people that you want to establish contact with! :)
Jerry, remember this song? This was written after Ricky Nelson was booed off the stage in 1971. But all went good, made this hit song...you are so right in many ways...

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 am

YI not only remember, I love this song!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com