Midi din ports being fazed out?

For the modern ones among us.
Post Reply
Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 am

I recently been in the market for a low cost keyboard arranger. What I am noticing, the new ones like Casio, Yamaha no longer have midi din ports, just USB host for computer. Will this be the future for the Digital Accordion connectivity? How then can we hook with just a USB host to a BK-7m? Without going through a computer or IPad for live performance...?
A recording studio situation, no problem...
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by jozz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am

which ones are you looking at?

I find little arrangers without midi i/o

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 am

jozz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am
which ones are you looking at?

I find little arrangers without midi i/o
Yamaha psr e463. Casio ct-x5000...
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 pm

jozz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am
which ones are you looking at?

I find little arrangers without midi i/o
You are probably right. Seems the arrangers under the $800 Range? Like PSRs670 Yamaha. Only USB for midi. I am just looking for a portable, low cost backup plan if My accordion fails to work on a gig. Hopefully this will never happen! I found this but another piece hardware to plug in and power, not for me. I am just curious on the direction of those MIDI ports?
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by jozz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 am

Well it says: "MIDI data received at the MIDI In socket will be sent to the USB device. MIDI data received from the USB device will be sent to the MIDI Out socket."

So if both systems are compliant it should work?

Maybe try the microArranger from Korg. Highly portable, midi i/o and cheap.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 am

jozz wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 am
Well it says: "MIDI data received at the MIDI In socket will be sent to the USB device. MIDI data received from the USB device will be sent to the MIDI Out socket."

So if both systems are compliant it should work?

Maybe try the microArranger from Korg. Highly portable, midi i/o and cheap.
I had a microarranger, the mother board died...they discontinued this model...an awesome keyboard for the price. Probably get a used one for less then the mother board. I am seeing a couple older models, used ones online that I will look at.
It is interesting the new Roland GoKeys has built in midi over Bluetooth (low energy)? But it is not an arranger?
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

torch
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 am

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by torch » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 am

The Kenton USB host supports only one USB midi device. Here is one cheaper and it supports multi USB midi devices. http://compasflamenco.com/usb-host-midi ... anguage=en I have the red one a bit more expensive but it comes with a PC editor and you can do a lot more. http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb- ... yPzhtrycZ3

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm

torch wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 am
The Kenton USB host supports only one USB midi device. Here is one cheaper and it supports multi USB midi devices. http://compasflamenco.com/usb-host-midi ... anguage=en I have the red one a bit more expensive but it comes with a PC editor and you can do a lot more. http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb- ... yPzhtrycZ3
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems us users have more knowledge on equipment then many sales people at music stores. I have decided on buying used older arranger with the midi din. Nothing I will probably ever use, but a backup in the event of my accordion or arranger failure. I found a couple I will be looking at this week, nothing fancy.
I am still curious on the interface of the Roland Go Keys though? An interesting concept on wireless Bluetooth/midi built in. If built in a VAccordion, wouldn’t it be an interesting innovation...?
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by jozz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

isn't there a universal midi over wifi being developed already? Should be embraced by all the instrument manufactures.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:54 pm

jozz wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm
isn't there a universal midi over wifi being developed already? Should be embraced by all the instrument manufactures.
I am not up to knowledge on midi over WiFi difference from MIdi over Bluetooth. But I think streaming WIFI may be less reliable then Bluetooth? But then again, nothing like a solid wired connection!
I have been very successful with Yamaha UD-BT01 MIDI to Bluetooth (which I have plugged in my BK-7m). I would like to see this built in all newer instruments as a standard. I do not get excited on new accordions or keyboards, unless this is a feature. I found a local store that has a Roland GoKeys in stock, I am going to try it out this week...just curious on the midi over Bluetooth feature?
Many ask why do I need this? I owned a Korg PA1x for several years, playing many gigs. This required depressing switches for sound and style selection. It ended up some of those switches started failing and had to replace many. With my Songbook+ App, I am able to change registration without touching the keyboard switches. Using my iPad as the the controller to select. This can be accomplished with the VAccordion, but you need that extra MIDI to Bluetooth hardware connected. Which is discussed in another thread.
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 pm

I did find an app
https://audeonic.com/midifire/
It works to connect 2 devices Bluetooth through IPad. I tried it and it works. The app finds the two Bluetooth instruments and a block diagram is created for each. Then you interconnect with virtual wire. An interesting concept? Wireless midi through the ipad? Without midi jet or other hardware midi devices? 🧐
If the VAccordion had Bluetooth function built in, this would be an awesome upgrade...
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by jozz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

Could you post some feedback about the Roland Go Keys when you get to it? I've considered it as a portable stage piano once, but never got the chance to really test one. Would be nice to hear the opinion of a performer.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 pm

jozz wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am
Could you post some feedback about the Roland Go Keys when you get to it? I've considered it as a portable stage piano once, but never got the chance to really test one. Would be nice to hear the opinion of a performer.
I just bought one at a local electronics store. Fryes Electronics. The key bed is nice and large for the compact size. With the Bluetooth built in makes so easy to connect to iPad apps. In my opinion, I would look at the GoPiano first. The GoKeys has the looping feature which is useless to me. The gopiano is 10%+ higher in price for some reason?

The sounds are not too bad. Not much sound editing features, you get what you get. Organ and piano are the main ones that I think are best. The horns, strings, brass, synths are ok? No split keyboard function available which would be a nice feature.

If I were to just look for a stage piano/synth, I would consider this Roland model. Main reason, compact, light and decent sound for the low price. And the GoKeys, being red, looks nice on stage! The gopiano, in black.
This Bluetooth technology and USB may be the the future to interconnect. As stated before, will not be surprised if a VAccordion will come out with this technology.
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:07 am

Keymn wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 pm
jozz wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am
Could you post some feedback about the Roland Go Keys when you get to it? I've considered it as a portable stage piano once, but never got the chance to really test one. Would be nice to hear the opinion of a performer.
I just bought one at a local electronics store. Fryes Electronics. The key bed is nice and large for the compact size. With the Bluetooth built in makes so easy to connect to iPad apps. In my opinion, I would look at the GoPiano first. The GoKeys has the looping feature which is useless to me. The gopiano is 10%+ higher in price for some reason?

The sounds are not too bad. Not much sound editing features, you get what you get. Organ and piano are the main ones that I think are best. The horns, strings, brass, synths are ok? No split keyboard function available which would be a nice feature.

If I were to just look for a stage piano/synth, I would consider this Roland model. Main reason, compact, light and decent sound for the low price. And the GoKeys, being red, looks nice on stage! The gopiano, in black.
This Bluetooth technology and USB may be the the future to interconnect. As stated before, will not be surprised if a VAccordion will come out with this technology.
As further playing, I am finding the GoKeys a useful instrument. Experimenting with the built in Bluetooth and able to connect to the bk-7m with the Quicco mi.1 midi to Bluetooth. I was thinking of the possibilities if there was a Blue tooth accordion similar? Through an app on iPad, I was able to split the keys and use the left hand to control the Bk-7m style chords. The go keys has limited sounds but I think are quality especially piano, strings and organ. You can also control Leslie effect with a function pad. I can put batteries in this keyboard and the wireless line 6 g10 and nothing to connect! And under 10 pounds!
Maybe Roland will come out with a new model called Go:Accordion? :lol:
Maybe a stripped down version of the FR4x but under $1000.00? Just a dreamers thought 🤔
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by jozz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 am

thanks for the feedback!

so you found the keys okay? i thought they were spring-loaded but they are not that bad then?

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Midi din ports being fazed out?

Post by Keymn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm

jozz wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 am
thanks for the feedback!

so you found the keys okay? i thought they were spring-loaded but they are not that bad then?
Yes, action in my opinion is very good. The keys are large almost like piano keys. I compare the key bed more like expensive models. I think Roland did a good job on this. You might call it spring action? But, they are mechanically quiet.
I Use an App on IPad called Midiflow. It connects this Roland to my arrangers through Bluetooth. Check it out! I use the Mi.1 Quicco on my arranger to get the Bluetooth on the other end. You can use Yamaha Ud-bt01 too.
Looking forward to future on this technology, keyboards or perhaps on a VAccordion. .
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests