For more detail Click Here

Speakers

For the modern ones among us.
JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Speakers

Post by JerryPH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Rhelsing wrote:Paul, does the ToneMatch come with accordion presets?
No, at least not in the documentation, and if you have enough disposable income to get an L1, I still would suggest you look elsewhere, for the simple reason that I know exactly how much better an Elka sounds in a stereo environment (I still have my Elka 83!).

The Bose L1's are fantastic for straight accordion in a MONO environment, but for the same money or less you can have a true stereo image and an excellent sound for accordion and other digital instruments... unless you want to purchase 2 L1's with ToneMatch, perhaps? In that case, I'd point you to a pair of Bose F1 if you want to pay for the Bose brand if you are considering new, or if you are convinced Bose is what you want, but at a budget level, a pair of Bose 802's with the equalizer is the sonic equal of the L1... just in stereo. This is what I use, a pair of Bose 802E's and I am on the lookout for a steal on another pair of 802's to add to the collection. I just recently missed a pair of "like new" 802's for $350Cdn, they were gone 30 minutes after being put on the local Craigslist. The deals are out there!

If you want good powered speakers, the QSC K12 are excellent and Electro-Voice 15in Live X is even better, for about 1/2 the price or less, of the Bose L1's and you'd have to have near magical ears to be able to tell which is better sounding. ;)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 am

OK - dumb question but will ask it anyway. I assume powered speakers are better?

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 am

Rhelsing wrote:OK - dumb question but will ask it anyway. I assume powered speakers are better?
No such thing as a dumb question, and no, powered speakers are not better nor worse, just different.

Where a powered speaker means added cost thanks to needing one amp per speaker, therefore one less thing to carry.
Upgrading to a better amp is not possible. If amp blows, you replace speaker and amp = more money. In the case of a Bose L1 or any single speaker unit, if it fails, you are totally screwed. In the case of a stereo setup, you go mono, but at least are functional.

External amp means you can upgrade amp when desired or get a higher quality one. Cost per speaker is less as you purchase a single stereo amp and speakers with no amp. You carry one more item, an amp. I prefer and chose the separate amp as amp technologies improve and prices drop over time.

Each side has advantages and disadvantages. Make a choice and enjoy the music. :)

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks. Got time to make the choice as new accordion doesn't get here until May. Meanwhile, getting back in shape with a really old, but really nice, Panjet. Love the Midi stuff, but sometimes just a good, reed instrument is the right instrument.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:31 am

New accordion AND new electronics... Happy days! :D :D
Looking forward ti seeing and hearing it in the future!

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Watkins Songbird all the way...hand made for the job
Anyone who doesn't know who Charlie Watkins was run a Google search...some character :D
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Rhelsing wrote:Paul, does the ToneMatch come with accordion presets?
Yes, the ToneMatch engine comes with an accordion preset. When I am amplifying an accordion I always use that preset as it sounds better than the default neutral "bypass" setting. I don't know exactly everything this preset does, but it for instance increases the volume for high frequencies, which does not sound so good up close but when you are at a distance, meaning where the audience is, it sounds great, very natural, like the sound of a real accordion but a really loud one. When I play the bass accordion I do not use the preset as I then don't want the emphasis on higher frequencies.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

torch
Improver
Improver

Post by torch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am

JIM D. wrote:You can use a subwoofer but the whole idea here is the portability of this one unit and it's performance in a small package.
I must say it look's small but the little bugger weigh's in at 40 pounds and it pumps a great bass.
They have a new model 32 pounds or so. It is exactly the same as the old model in terms of sound quality. The SS3 is a very interesting animal. If one needs a stereo setup, this does it very well. I think it really shines when you play with stereo backup music or an arranger. All the various instruments are are nicely "spread" around in a 3 demension.

Keymn

Post by Keymn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 pm

:b I have Qsc K12 powered speakers. 1000 watts each, a channel to plug in mic and other for accordion. Although, I would recommend a small mixer. On larger setups I have 2 and a 12 channel mixer. Play any size event. Yes a keyboard amp may be more compact, but these speakers only weigh 30 pounds. These do a nice tight bass punch too. I think the newer model has a mixer built in ? Just released. Pricy $800 but well worth the 6 year warranties.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 pm

torch wrote:If one needs a stereo setup, this does it very well. I think it really shines when you play with stereo backup music or an arranger. All the various instruments are are nicely "spread" around in a 3 demension.
True stereo requires 2 speakers that are far apart (6 feet or more. I prefer more like 15-20 feet if I can manage it), and can create an image on stage of distinct musical instrument separation from side to side. One speaker, no matter how incredible is never going to be stereo, The SS3 introduces phase variances and delay to make the image sound wider, but its only good if you are in a specific singular location. In a stereo image, I can place all accordion sounds clear on the right side and orchestral instruments on the left side of the stage with a clear gap in the middle and no matter where I am, the instrument is clearly still within a well defined area on my stage. I've just heard the SS3, and it's a great mono speaker or even a pleasant "fake" stereo, but it cannot do a true stereo image at all, not even close, at least not to my ears. :)