Usb Stick for Roland FR3X

For the modern ones among us.
Francisco SC
Novice
Novice

Re: Usb Stick for Roland FR3X

Post by Francisco SC » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am

JerryPH wrote:...

BTW, do NOT boot your V-Accordion with these USB sticks! Roland uses Linux as the OS and Linux commands to prepare the eeprom and then to upload and write firmware updates to the EEPROM. If you ever try this and by accident do the wrong thing, basically, the accordion is effectively killed and the only fix is to send it to Roland for a $2000 repair, if you ever want to use the accordion again, that is.
Thanks Jerry for the heads-up!

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Tue May 16, 2017 2:56 pm

JerryPH wrote:That is a very huge thing to forget... lol

When creating a Linux boot disk, it writes to sections of the media that identify it differently to the host. Some hosts can get past it, others, like V-Accordions, cannot. Basically, you need to reinitialize the USB stick and then format it again before it will work.

BTW, do NOT boot your V-Accordion with these USB sticks! Roland uses Linux as the OS and Linux commands to prepare the eeprom and then to upload and write firmware updates to the EEPROM. If you ever try this and by accident do the wrong thing, basically, the accordion is effectively killed and the only fix is to send it to Roland for a $2000 repair, if you ever want to use the accordion again, that is.
My FR8X has just asked me to pay $300 in bitcoins to access my user programmes. Have I been hacked? :(
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 am

Glenn wrote:My FR8X has just asked me to pay $300 in bitcoins to access my user programmes. Have I been hacked? :(
Basically, you are a victim of ransomware. Let's hope you have backups somewhere safe and off computer that are not infected?
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com