For more detail Click Here

Concerto Review

For the modern ones among us.
Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Concerto Review

Post by Rhelsing » Thu May 18, 2017 3:07 pm

I promised a review once I picked up my Concerto. I haven't picked mine up yet - it was delivered to Accorion's International from the manufacturer of the accordion itself (Pierremarie) las week and the electronics are bing installed now. However, I did spend a week at "Camp Concerto" which is an event Accorions International sponsors to get an intense introduction to the instruments capabilities. Paul Pasquali was kind enough to loan me one to take home until I can go back and get mine - so this review is based on the loaner instrument and what i learned last week.

First comment - absolutely impressive!!! Like nothing I have ever seen. There a bunch of "this is the only instrument that will..." that will follow if i can remember them all.

I am not sure where to start - so i will just go with thoughts as they arrive. Each register allows for three sounds on the bass side and three on the keyboard side. Base can have a sound for bass, and two sounds for Chords. Keyboard one sound for solo, and two sounds for chorus. Sounds can be selected from over 400 onboard sounds and each of those six sounds can be individually set for volume, pan, verlocity, reverb, and octave (6 octave spread). Selections for that entire register than can also be set and saved for reverb, touch control, bellos control and more. You can also saver settings for a rhythm machine with that register, although I have not worked with that feature yet. In addition, the solo instrument can be turned into a "phantom sound" so it can be included or excluded by a foot petal. This is different than the "split" function that is present on this and most midi instruments.

There 16 banks of 8 registered a that can be stored in the instrument at one time with flash memory (not dependent on batteries(. So that is 128 registers on board at one time. You can also store over $1000 registers in the archives on the generator in groups of 8 (meaning 64 registers). So, for example you can have a bank of 64 registers for "Christmas" music suborganized into 8 major groups of eight and bring them up from the archives for seasonal or special gig use. So, 128 registers on board and over 1000 available relatively quickly..... should be more choices than any mortal needs.

In addition, you can organize the registers so you can step through them (forward or backwards) with butterfly switched on the left and right side of there volume pedal. YOu can certainly also reach up and pick any of of gthe 128 from the grill. In addition, while a register is being played, you can reach up and select from 32 sounds on the grill and replace a sound in the register with another instrument (say solo oboe to trumpet) as you play. These selections are arranged in 8 rows of four categories (piano, organ, reeds, horns, etc) to make them easy to find. There are also the typical split choices, range settings up and down for chords, and arpeggio selections but these are typical with most midi--instruments.

One unique feature is that when you make a change on the Concerto it does not take place until the NEXT not in the selection your have made takes place. So, if you are playing strings with a phantom oboe and the oboe is turned off, at the end of a phrase you can turn the one on but it won't sound with the note you are currently holding, but rather when the next solo not is played. This allows you to make changes while holding a note with the new sound not showing up artificially.

There are four foot pedals, one controlling the Phantom, the next controlling sustain, the next sustanuto, and not programmed. (Labeled Phantom, A, B, and C). Pedals A, B, and C can be programmed with thre register to bring in special effects or to act separately (for example if playing guitar over strings maybe you only want the sustain to sustain the guitar but not the other instruments.

There is much more, but I probably need to give some thought as to what to explain next (or maybe it is better to answer questions if I get any). I should mention that both my instrument and the loaner have hand made reads and a tone chamber so you still have an acoustical accordion form a quality producer (Pierrmarie) playing at the same time, or with out the midi, or when appropriate the midi without the reeds (but then it is not really an accordion is it ;) ?

Anyhow, I am glad now that I have played it for a couple of weeks that this is the instrument I decided to go with.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Concerto Review

Post by Soulsaver » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Piermaria. This may be an aid: http://www.accordionfactory.com/Portals ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it based on one of these models?
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Fri May 19, 2017 5:55 am

Soulsaver wrote:Piermaria. This may be an aid: http://www.accordionfactory.com/Portals ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are correct, Piermaria (my bad). It is the gold model modified (meaning I want with silver rather than gold) but everything else the same and I went with the marbled keys like in the professional and some color pattern in the bellow, hand made Binci Artisan Trangulated reeds and mahogany tone chamber.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

Does the Concerto use an external tone generator like the Elka did?
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 am

Rhelsing wrote:
Soulsaver wrote:Piermaria. This may be an aid: http://www.accordionfactory.com/Portals ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is the gold model modified (meaning I want with silver rather than gold) but everything else the same and I went with the marbled keys like in the professional and some color pattern in the bellow, hand made Binci Artisan Trangulated reeds and mahogany tone chamber.
Very Nice... :ch
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm

JerryPH wrote:Does the Concerto use an external tone generator like the Elka did?
It has a generator - but much smaller than the ElKA. The tones are all stored in the Concerto, not the generator. The tones and related informations is sent to the generator for processing, and then back to the Concerto. For reasons beyond my electronic understanding, that is part of the reason it can receive input from the player (like a change in register, or turning on or off phantom) while a note is being held, but the sound does not get heard until the the next note. That makes changing registers or tones much more realistic (and usually at a more reasonable pace). The tone generator also is where you can archive over 1000 registers and swap out in groups of 8 the 128 stored in the generator. The tone generator would take one slot in a rack (it is less than 2" think and very light). However, no one seems to put the great realtor in a rack. Accordions International sells a separate soft case for it and is designed so that the volume pedals and the bank of four other pedals also get strapped into the back. It is a really slick arrangement because you can put the pedal in on top of the generator without unplugging them and zip the case shut. Basically, you unplug the cord to the accordion and everything else stays connected, close the case, and put the accordion in its case, and short of the speakers and stuff - the accordion and its electronics are in two easy to carry cases. the ElKA generator seemed to need a fork lift to carry it around (plus all the sounds were in the generator, not the accordion).