Accordion Repair Course

Know of a good gig? Want to promote your club meetings? Let the rest of us know here.
Happy girl
Expert
Expert

Accordion Repair Course

Post by Happy girl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

30th - 31st March 2017 - Cost £98 per person.
This follows the first repair course organised last year and once again Paul Flannery is the tutor. Paul handles repairs for the Music Room accordion department in Cleckheaton Yorkshire. Paul is thinking of retiring or semi retiring in the near future and is happy to pass on his knowledge. He is a piano tuner who got involved with accordion repairs and tuning some years ago and initially received tuition from a Hohner technician but he is mainly self-taught. The location is The Adelaide, 57 Park Road. Teddington TW11 0AU. The Travelodge in Teddington is only a short walk away. Peter can provide other accommodation options if required depending on budget.

Thursday 30th March
Morning session 9.45am – 12.45pm Refreshments provided during the morning 12.45pm-2pm lunch break. Afternoon session 2pm – 5pm Refreshments provided during the afternoon. Today’s session will explain the working parts of the accordion and how the treble and bass switches work and common problems. Also reed block configurations, voices, how to undertake minor repairs, including valve replacement, sticky keys and switches, changing bellows gasket and general fault finding. If anyone wishes to bring along an instrument which is need of some attention to use as an example then this will be ok providing it is not requiring major work. During the course some practical work will be possible. Materials are provided. Participants should bring a note pad for their own reference notes.

Friday 31st March
Morning session 9.30am – 12.45pm Refreshments provided during the morning 12.45pm-2pm lunch break. Afternoon session
2pm – 4.30pm Refreshments provided during the afternoon
Today’s session will follow on from the previous day and will include an overview of instrument tuning. Questions can be fielded throughout the course. Approx 4.30pm Finish Coffee /tea/biscuits are included Cost for the 2 days - £98pp (based on min 10 attending)
To book and for more information contact Peter Le Geyt of PLG Marketing Associates – Tel: 020 8977 6680 or email: plg@plgmarketing.com

This information is courtesy of Leyland Accordion Club Newsletter - March 2017

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Accordion Repair Course

Post by JerryPH » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank-you for sharing!
Me, I'd be very interested if I was at least on the same side of the pond. Too bad they don't do something similar like this in the USA or Canada, I might be pretty easily convinced to attend such a course as I know this interests me. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

geoff45789
Superstar
Superstar

Post by geoff45789 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks for sharing. I tried to sign up today but the course is already full :( (max 12) with a waiting list. I've given my email in case they run another

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 pm

JerryPH wrote:Thank-you for sharing!
Me, I'd be very interested if I was at least on the same side of the pond. Too bad they don't do something similar like this in the USA or Canada, I might be pretty easily convinced to attend such a course as I know this interests me. :)
AFAIK they don't do it this side of the pond either, Jerry.. it's the only one I've heard of, and only the 2nd time it's been run ..maybe Scotland but I still didn't hear?

Shame it's fully subscribed.... but the good news if it is that popular they'll surely run another soon.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing indeed, HG.
If anyone else is interested I'd suggest an email (plg@plgmarketing.com) to them expressing your interest - if they get enough maybe another one could be sooner rather than later.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 pm

just a couple of quick points.

Paul used to handle repairs. tuning etc for The Music Room but they have now closed down. He still does repairs and at one time he looked after my boxes . He has his own website for contact purposes

george

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 am

george garside wrote:just a couple of quick points.

Paul used to handle repairs. tuning etc for The Music Room but they have now closed down. He still does repairs and at one time he looked after my boxes . He has his own website for contact purposes

george
I was also going to say about the Music Room closing but I couldn't remember where I heard it...

b]

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Shame this is full I have emailed hoping for extra dates to be added too, I don't suppose there are any similar courses that are taking place in the UK that anyone knows of?

wout
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by wout » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

I am currently in castelfidardo going to do a course here as well! starts wednesday :)

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 am

Nice one Wout.
Do keep us informed how it goes.
A few pictures may be nice. Don't forget your selfie stick :D
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA