The first S England CBA Rally, and the second?

Know of a good gig? Want to promote your club meetings? Let the rest of us know here.
TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

The first S England CBA Rally, and the second?

Post by TomBR » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Very big thanks from me to everyone who came along to last Saturday's Rally. I really enjoyed it and I hope others did too.

A really nice bunch of people, all interesting to talk to, a number of fine players, (and perhaps more importantly musicians) and lots of lovely boxes to see and try. Amazing to have so many CBAs in one room!

We had 16 people there, from as far as Suffolk, Shropshire, Somerset, Essex, Worcestershire and Devon, and other places a bit nearer.

Particular thanks to Greg and Juliet Dunn of Black Diamond accordions, and Martyn Hutchins of Accordion Lounge for coming. It was very interesting to hear their perspective on sales of CBAs in this country.

It was very nice to see the happy group of Black Diamond players for their group photo.
Many thanks to the "recent converters" who came - very best of luck on your CBA journey!

With a number of people having to leave for evening gigs the informal "seminar" after lunch didn't have that much time, but we played a couple of tunes en masse and there were more interesting topics to discuss than we really had time for.

I think this one gave lots of useful pointers as to what a future event might be like. Several people said that waiting a year would be too long, April 2018 was coming to mind?

I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts on how a future event should go, either as comments here, or by email.
A few questions that come to mind...
- How about a bit more structure - times and spaces set aside for groups interested in a particular question?
- "Workshops" if those can be found to run/teach them?
- Sheet music/recordings sent out in advance so that those interested can spend time on something specific?
- Would a Sunday be better - less likelihood of evening gigs so making more of the day and the travelling?
- Everyone would like it to be nearer home but any suggestions on where would be better than south Oxfordshire?

Please do make suggestions - I won't be offended where a suggestion basically indicates that I got it wrong this time!
Obviously suggestions are equally welcome whether or not you were able to come this last Saturday - a number of people got in touch to say they would have loved to come but for prior engagements.

To participants from last Sat - I'll get the contacts email that was promised out as soon as I can.

Anyway, very many thanks to all concerned, (Apologies for the bits I've forgotten and will have to add later...)
Tom

PS - Brian from Shropshire brought along a vintage V Soprani 120 bass CBA. Full restoration needed but it's on sale at a realistic price, so if anyone fancies taking on a project with a CBA as the prize, do get in touch for contact details.

PPS - The note that wouldn't stop on my Fratelli Crosio turned out to be a crumbled foam pallet mounting. Oh dear, repaired for now, but a sign of work I'll need to do.

JonathanC
Novice
Novice

Re: The first S England CBA Rally, and the second?

Post by JonathanC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

It was a great day Tom, thanks for organising this, and thanks to Joan too for the lovely lunch!

It was a great to meet up with other CBA players and share experiences as well as try other boxes.
Also good to finally meet up with Greg and Juliet from Black Diamond!

Looking forward to the next one, and with reference to your ideas ..

1. A Sunday might be better, as like you say there is chance of it clashing with an evening gig.
2. Some tune ideas/sheet music in advance would be great too.

Well done on a really successful event!

Cheers
Jonathan

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm

There is not a lot of room for improvement as it was already very very well organised, very welcoming, and enjoyable.
I was impressed by the turnout! Jolly good show ;)
JonathanC wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

1. A Sunday might be better, as like you say there is chance of it clashing with an evening gig.
2. Some tune ideas/sheet music in advance would be great too.

I have no strong feelings on no.1, but am happy to fit in with whatever suits most people - and no.2 was the only suggestion I was going to make; maybe we could circulate an arrangement in parts, so that we're not all playing the same thing?

GOM
Novice
Novice

Post by GOM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm

May I endorse those who have said what a great day it was, my only regret was that I had to leave early. Personally I have no preference for a day, precirculated sheet music would be great and venue was no problem 1 1/2 hours travel time.
A thoroughly enjoyable day out even for a complete novice CBA player like myself.
Public thanks to Tom for organising a successful 1st SECBAR
[align=center]V Soprani 120 bass - Black Diamond B CBA[/aligncenter]
[align=center]so many melodies so little time[/aligncenter]

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Gutted to have missed the first...how about asking black diamond if they wanna host the second....mostly cos Mersea is beautiful and i live nearby
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 am

losthobos wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 pm
Gutted to have missed the first...how about asking black diamond if they wanna host the second....mostly cos Mersea is beautiful and i live nearby
Always glad of a chance or excuse to visit the east coast! :D (Probably need somewhere a bit more central out of all round fairness..... Worcestershire -> Essex?) As mentioned, I'm looking towards a Sunday in April 2018 and if possible will poll on dates so that as many as possible can make it.
Venue for #2 is a bit trickier as it would clearly be desirable to have two, or three, rooms to make the best of different interests.

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 pm

TomBR wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 am
Venue for #2 is a bit trickier as it would clearly be desirable to have two, or three, rooms to make the best of different interests.
Brilliant call TomBR
Best wishes
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...