Accordion Player Salary

Know of a good gig? Want to promote your club meetings? Let the rest of us know here.
Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Accordion Player Salary

Post by Keymn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 am

It has been a month here in Scottsdale. Been very interesting for accordion players. There seems to be a couple around doing gigs and I already booked a couple gigs. To start anew in a new area is challenging. How do we know how to set a price?
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

rbs
Improver
Improver

Re: Accordion Player Salary

Post by rbs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 am

You could ask the client to pay you what they think you're worth, at the end of the gig.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Accordion Player Sala

Post by Keymn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

rbs wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 am
You could ask the client to pay you what they think you're worth, at the end of the gig.
If this is your main salary, you still need to set a price ahead of time. Would we do this at the end of the day with a day job? We work so hard as musicians and many are a Rare breed. It is just the economy would pay a lawyer $300+ an hour over a musician.
I just come across a sports bar started looking for a Celtic band yesterday on St. Patrick’s Day. And only paying max. $150.00, 4 hours. A good Celtic musician would probably be booked and very valuable this close to date?
At this time I am generating a salary range for gigs on a sheet, which I think is a good idea. Keep it consistent. In the long run it works out. All you Accordion players, do not sell yourself short. Have fun and make a couple bucks!

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm

$150 for St Patrick's Night indicates "a lack of seriousness" - we'd say "taking the Micky" if that crosses the Atlantic OK!
Tom

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 pm

TomBR wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm
$150 for St Patrick's Night indicates "a lack of seriousness" - we'd say "taking the Micky" if that crosses the Atlantic OK!
Tom
I agree, maybe per hour for 1 performer? I think some clients think we are a little lacks in negotiation. Do not get me wrong, I have been in this business 50 years and know the value of a musician, especially a good accordion player.
I was told from an older accordion player when I was a teen, late 1960’s, we should get a minimum of $100 per gig. That was good money back then!

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 pm

My rule of thumb generally measures up to a fair slice of the pie....
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

A one time 4 hour gig for 150 dollars ?

:lol:

Ok, give it to the other guy then.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am

jozz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am
A one time 4 hour gig for 150 dollars ?

:lol:

Ok, give it to the other guy then.
That was a "Celtic band", so it would be the "other guys and colleens". This doesn't even make sense. Wait, this is St Patrick's? It could be some "drinks are on the house" arrangement in which case they expect the actual expense to be a whole lot more.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I've seen bands from up close, that generated a bar tab so insane, they actually had to pay a share.

But normally, a glass on the house is something completely different than someone who buys you a drink, financial-wise... :D

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm

By 'fair slice of the pie'...i meant that fees are variable....and I'll set my fee fairly alongside the venues profit margin...
So if they're making good cash by me being there they can pay me more...
If a bars struggling to get itself of the ground sometimes play for drinks and get the staff to police a musicians tip hat....sometimes this realises way more than your flat fee would have been...
Afternoon gigs in nursing home I tend to price so I get the same as the nursing girls get on there afternoon shift (even though I'm working less hours I think that's fair given these staff are working teal hard on minimum wage)
Had another regular outdoor gig by funfair where paid a small retainer by landowner as people spent more at food stalls if listening to the band while we also collected tips and sold cds...
Fair slice of the pie suits me...every bodies gotta make a living..
But I don't do open mics for exposure...feels like the only thing I'm exposed to there is a free loading landlord
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 am

losthobos wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm
By 'fair slice of the pie'...i meant that fees are variable....and I'll set my fee fairly alongside the venues profit margin...
So if they're making good cash by me being there they can pay me more...
If a bars struggling to get itself of the ground sometimes play for drinks and get the staff to police a musicians tip hat....sometimes this realises way more than your flat fee would have been...
Afternoon gigs in nursing home I tend to price so I get the same as the nursing girls get on there afternoon shift (even though I'm working less hours I think that's fair given these staff are working teal hard on minimum wage)
Had another regular outdoor gig by funfair where paid a small retainer by landowner as people spent more at food stalls if listening to the band while we also collected tips and sold cds...
Fair slice of the pie suits me...every bodies gotta make a living..
But I don't do open mics for exposure...feels like the only thing I'm exposed to there is a free loading landlord
There is nothing like public exposure to become a good performer. When I first moved to Florida, I was a bit rusty since from not playing many public gigs. So I booked a coffee house gig to build up my chops. Paid minimal, but sometimes the tips were great. This experience eventually got me some nice paid bandshell Shows and Country Clubs gigs.
You could practice all you can and if you do not connect to an audience, you might as well not be paid.

Morne
Star
Star

Post by Morne » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am

And here I was thinking accordionists get paid to stop playing...
Or does that mean the less you get paid the better you are because nobody wants you to stop?

rbs
Improver
Improver

Post by rbs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

There's a band in my area that consists of two people, both very good musicans (a man and a woman). He really enjoys playing, so he does it for free. She charges something a like £100. So, for £100 (or thereabouts) you get a very good band. They're very busy! - and good luck to them.

It's a free market, and you can only charge what the market will bear, so if you're very good you can charge a lot, if you're not, you have to be cheap.

Unless you're very good or very lucky, you'll never make a lot of money as a musician, but you'll have a lot of enjoyment, which should compensate.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm

rbs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm
There's a band in my area that consists of two people, both very good musicans (a man and a woman). He really enjoys playing, so he does it for free. She charges something a like £100. So, for £100 (or thereabouts) you get a very good band. They're very busy! - and good luck to them.

It's a free market, and you can only charge what the market will bear, so if you're very good you can charge a lot, if you're not, you have to be cheap.

Unless you're very good or very lucky, you'll never make a lot of money as a musician, but you'll have a lot of enjoyment, which should compensate.
If you enjoy performing, it is better to set a salary comparable to the market. Probably, lower than what you want, but in the long run you could average a good monthly salary. Otherwise, just sit home and listen to yourself if that is what you want. Many of us had or have another paying career and secondary is music. We feed/raise our families. Until you get retirement age you begin to realize how that job you had is not important anymore. It is quality time spent with family is what is important (and secondary your music as self enjoyment or to share your talents with others). Keep on jamming! :b

JEBrown
Improver
Improver

Post by JEBrown » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm an amateur musician, and luckily I don't need to rely on music fees to supplement my normal income. However I do expect to get paid if I'm playing at an event that people have paid to attend, and I like to be offered money if I'm asked to play for other events. In the band I play in we don't have a fixed fee for a gig, it depends on the nature of the event. So if it's someone's wedding, and it's a small affair and they're friendly, we might ask EUR500 to play for a couple of hours. If it's a huge wedding in an expensive venue (or if the people aren't very friendly) then we'll ask more like EUR700-800, depending on how long they want us to play. And of course we can then decide how many people to play in the band, which affects our individual take.

Recently I've played for a couple of ceilidhs where I've received EUR120 - 150 for playing all night, I've received EUR120 and a good dinner for playing at a Burns' Night, but I've also played a Burns' Night where I've only asked for a decent meal, since the event was for charity (in both those last cases I've managed get a decent bottle of wine or whisky as well - I never drink before or during playing).
John

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:18 pm

rbs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm
This makes sense, but bear in mind...it pays to invest in a bit of marketing or at least be aware of some do's and dont's.

Under-pricing = under-mining (yourself).

and

If the beer flows, the bill grows.

(ok, I made that last one up, but it's hard to translate from dutch) :ch

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Investing in marketing is a good thing, Internet advertising, etc.
I am not a fan of Social Networks...think we spend too much time on Facebook, etc. just to tell the world what we did or doing in our life.
But if you have opportunity to sell yourself by doing a charity, sometimes a better advertising investment.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am

Senior Homes are sometimes hard to get decent pay. These afternoon gigs are good fillers from higher paid evening gigs. And they are only an hour usually in afternoon with enough time to get to a 6 pm/7pm evening gig.
I perform as hard on these gigs as a evening gig. Not let your guard down and play lazy. In the long run, it averages out a good monthly salary.

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Our group normally charges for events but during July and August, we play once a week for a couple of hours in aid of the French lifeboats (SNSM). We raise money for them by selling our discs on those evenings which are always good fun, in an area of old Saint Malo with great acoustics.

We generally charge about 300€ for a 2 hour gig and a bit more for longer sessions. Those that are prepared to pay never argue about the price. We sometimes play for free in the open air to get ourselves known and occasionally get offered a free meal or a drink ! But in principle, we don't play for free because if you do, everyone will try to get you to play for free and you aren't valued. Earnings get ploughed back into the group for sound equipment and the like, and the odd jolly.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:03 am

Corsaire wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Our group normally charges for events but during July and August, we play once a week for a couple of hours in aid of the French lifeboats (SNSM). We raise money for them by selling our discs on those evenings which are always good fun, in an area of old Saint Malo with great acoustics.

We generally charge about 300€ for a 2 hour gig and a bit more for longer sessions. Those that are prepared to pay never argue about the price. We sometimes play for free in the open air to get ourselves known and occasionally get offered a free meal or a drink ! But in principle, we don't play for free because if you do, everyone will try to get you to play for free and you aren't valued. Earnings get ploughed back into the group for sound equipment and the like, and the odd jolly.
I agree, not to play free. I did a Music Performance Trust Fund Gig in 2017 which cost the client nothing.
http://www.musicpf.org/home.php
I was paid scale to perform at this event, fully funded from MPTF. Gave a good show and Client asked me back, but for free again. Which I said “I will need scale” (Logically, if they paid me scale on the second gig, they would get 2 Shows for price of one). Their accounting department never understood this?
I think if you offer to play free, you are never appreciated as much. Us accordion players are a rare breed and we should not sell ourselves “short”. Get what you feel you are worth, nothing less.