Greetings from Denmark

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Greetings from Denmark

Post by debra » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am

Mityr wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 pm
I'm hopefully playing this accordion for many years to come, but when time comes, and I might want to upgrade to an Akko - like yours, right? - or Jupiter or Pigini, would it be possible to order it in this rare design?
Our world revolves around money. The accordion world is no exception. Every accordion brand makes C-griff, B-griff, C-griff with C on the third row (Finnish system), B-griff with C on the second row (was popular in Belgium), Balkan B-griff with 6 rows, ... anything the customer wants. And for the bass side it's the same: C-griff, B-griff, low notes at the top or low notes at the bottom. And of course any keyboard side can be combined with any bass side as the internal construction of the body and reed blocks does not change when the keyboard changes so they all fit together.

So much depends on coincidence. I keep on saying that I (and my wife too) should have started with CBA at least 10 years earlier than I did, but at that time I was living in Belgium in an area where most people play B-griff so I would probably have ended up playing B-griff. As it happened, after moving to the Netherlands and seeing few CBA players, but all with C-griff, we ended up starting on C-griff. This was an expensive choice because I have seen many excellent used accordions for sale that were all B-griff, and at the time no C-griff so we ended up with the expensive choice of buying new. Later the situation started improving.

A used Akko or Jupiter or Pigini should be relatively easy to find in B-griff, but with that C-griff bass side, not a chance. However, the good news is that when you master your current instrument a Russian B-griff should not be too hard to learn as it is just your bass side rotated by 180 degrees (not mirrored which is a harder conversion to learn).
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Mityr
Novice
Novice

Post by Mityr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:49 pm
All I would advise is that you stick to one system, as you will only confuse yourself by attempting different systems.

Good Luck,

Stephen.
Hi Stephen
This seems like good advice. It has to be since everyone is repeating it.
Right now I am totally content with the system, and I hopefully will be for a long time.
Your Arietta looks to be a wonderful old instrument - I just fell over the post

Cheers
Happy owner of a cba-b Ellegaard Special with cba-c freebass
Longingly learning

Mityr
Novice
Novice

Post by Mityr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:35 pm

debra wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am
And of course any keyboard side can be combined with any bass side as the internal construction of the body and reed blocks does not change when the keyboard changes so they all fit together.
A used Akko or Jupiter or Pigini should be relatively easy to find in B-griff, but with that C-griff bass side, not a chance. However, the good news is that when you master your current instrument a Russian B-griff should not be too hard to learn as it is just your bass side rotated by 180 degrees (not mirrored which is a harder conversion to learn).
Paul, you have a scary amount of knowledge about accordions. I wonder, if I will ever be able to amass the same amount of expertise in the world of accordions.

These are very useful pieces of information, thank you!
I have a follow up question, because I spent 5 minutes wrapping my head around your last sentence: Is it disadvantageous to have the lower notes on the button of the accordion?
I figure the deeper notes tend to use a bit more air and the bellow must be harder to operate from the bottomside, and your weaker fingers will be the main movers on those notes.

Is my speculation wrong?

Thank you!
Happy owner of a cba-b Ellegaard Special with cba-c freebass
Longingly learning

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Mityr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:35 pm
These are very useful pieces of information, thank you!
I have a follow up question, because I spent 5 minutes wrapping my head around your last sentence: Is it disadvantageous to have the lower notes on the button of the accordion?
I figure the deeper notes tend to use a bit more air and the bellow must be harder to operate from the bottomside, and your weaker fingers will be the main movers on those notes.
It's a good question, but hard to answer.
The reasoning I heard for having the low notes at the bottom of the bass side is that you can press a low note with your little finger and then play a bit of melody or changing chords with the stronger fingers. Playing a low note with the index finger and then a melody with the other fingers may be a bit harder. When you just play a melody or a chord it doesn't make too much of a difference.
Something that plays a role here is that a Russian bayan only has the L+L register and so there is no way to make Stradella chords sound lower or higher. When you watch Russian players you'll see that they often use the melody bass for chords that are available on Stradella, but they play them higher or lower than their Stradella chord would be. On a typical Italian accordion you have many registers to make Stradella chords sound differently.
I have no experience with the Russian bass orientation, having C-griff (keyboard and bass side). I'm not good enough at it (yet) to try what the Russians do, so I cannot tell for sure how hard it is to pretend playing standard bass while really playing melody bass.

See, I really don't know much about accordions... but I have learned that when you want to know what a manufacturer can do you have to ask instead of look at a catalog. When I bought a Bugari ARS/289/C5 that model did not exist in the catalog, but a phone call to Roberto and sure enough it was possible. (The model now appears in the catalog again.) And I have also seen an ARS/289 without convertor, so 45 notes keyboard but only Stradella bass and I have never seen that in a catalog. My wife's accordion also no longer appears in the catalog but I'm sure that it can still be ordered... It never hurts to ask. If it's impossible they will tell you.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Mityr,

Thank you for your kind words with regard to my recently acquired Arietta. It is, as you say, an old instrument (possibly 65 years) but it is still younger than I am. I guess the Arietta and I suit each other, both of us having seen better days.

The Arietta actually sounds better than it looks, with a sweet tonal quality.

Take Care,

Stephen.