Hello from Holland

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
debra

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by debra » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm

wout wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am
Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west
Actually there are two provinces, called "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland". There is no province called just "Holland".
Since you refer to north west that would then refer to Noord Holland.

But when far abroad it is often easier to just say you're from Holland than from The Netherlands.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

wout
Expert
Expert

Post by wout » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

I know just trying not overcomplicate things :)

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Glenn wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 am
I think the point Paul was making was that what non Dutch call Holland is in fact only a part of the Kingdom of The Netherlands. It’s like an American asking where you are from and you say cardiff and they reply, “Oh, you’re from England then?”
I am guessing/hoping that the above is a typo - the non Dutch people over here on the other side of the world may not be very well versed in the exact whereabouts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (in fact, I admit that the Kingdom part is news to me), but I'm quite sure as soon as we knew where it is, we'd be calling it Holland. (Is it funny that in, say, German, that sounds a bit like "high land", the opposite of "netherlands"?) Of course, I make no claim that we'd all recognize Wales as separate from England, either. I have a vague impression from talking to a long-ago expat that the popular usage even over there in past eras might have occasionally used England a great deal more broadly than would be strictly correct.

RandomJohnny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RandomJohnny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

debra wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm
wout wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am
Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west
Actually there are two provinces, called "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland". There is no province called just "Holland".
Since you refer to north west that would then refer to Noord Holland.

But when far abroad it is often easier to just say you're from Holland than from The Netherlands.

Main reason why I stated Hello from Holland :D