Hello from Holland

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
Post Reply
RandomJohnny
Novice
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm
Location: Rotterdam/Holland

Hello from Holland

Post by RandomJohnny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Peter and I live in Rotterdam, Holland. I'm learning to play button accordion for a year and a half now. B-system. I've played piano accordion for 7 years and made the switch as mentioned 1.5 year ago. Haven't felt sorry for a second :D
I'm studying a book called Steps to Crafmanship by Aleksandr Dorenskiy. I like it very much. In the future, when I have more technique I'd like to play cumbia and vallenato. I like these styles a lot because I play percussion for a long time.
But for now I stick to the Russian method. :D
Kind regards and have fun playing!

User avatar
debra
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by debra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Welcome! I too am from the Netherlands (not Holland). My wife and I switched from piano accordion to button accordion 10 years ago (C system). No regrets. No study books either. We just learned to play everything we played before. It's hard in the beginning because you go from being a decent player to a complete noob, but we regained our old level more or less after about 6 years.
Have fun!
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

User avatar
Glenn
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by Glenn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 am

Hi Peter. Welcome to the forum.
I am in Holland (not from Holland) and am too lazy to convert from PA to CBA. I have a B system lounging behind the sofa but only get it out occasionally to make sure it’s still working. There appeares to be plenty of B system accordions in The Netherlands so that was the natural choice I guess. What make do you have?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

User avatar
debra
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by debra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Glenn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 am
Hi Peter. Welcome to the forum.
I am in Holland (not from Holland) and am too lazy to convert from PA to CBA. I have a B system lounging behind the sofa but only get it out occasionally to make sure it’s still working. There appeares to be plenty of B system accordions in The Netherlands so that was the natural choice I guess. What make do you have?
Hmm... subtle difference between "in Holland" and "from Holland". I said I am from the Netherlands, but if that is to mean born in then I guess I am only "in" the Netherlands.
Many people start a move from PA to CBA and give up. It is hard. Took us 6 years to get back to our original level. The fact that both my wife and I made the switch meant that we could encourage each other. That certainly helped.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by donn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm

debra wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm
Hmm... subtle difference between "in Holland" and "from Holland". I said I am from the Netherlands, but if that is to mean born in then I guess I am only "in" the Netherlands.
This is all very confusing. Could one be "from Holland" but not "from the Netherlands", and "in the Netherlands" but not "from Holland", or vice versa? And if not, would one then be from the Neitherlands?

RandomJohnny
Novice
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm
Location: Rotterdam/Holland

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by RandomJohnny » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Glenn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 am
Hi Peter. Welcome to the forum.
I am in Holland (not from Holland) and am too lazy to convert from PA to CBA. I have a B system lounging behind the sofa but only get it out occasionally to make sure it’s still working. There appeares to be plenty of B system accordions in The Netherlands so that was the natural choice I guess. What make do you have?
Thanks Glenn :D
I've recently purchased a Crucianelli CBA and I own a Hohner study CBA and a tiny Busilacchio Ricordia CBA (32 bass, that small) All B-system.

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by jozz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 pm

donn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm
This is all very confusing. Could one be "from Holland" but not "from the Netherlands", and "in the Netherlands" but not "from Holland", or vice versa? And if not, would one then be from the Neitherlands?
I think so, but once you're in the Neitherlands, there is no way out. {}

User avatar
Glenn
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by Glenn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 am

donn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm
debra wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm
Hmm... subtle difference between "in Holland" and "from Holland". I said I am from the Netherlands, but if that is to mean born in then I guess I am only "in" the Netherlands.
This is all very confusing. Could one be "from Holland" but not "from the Netherlands", and "in the Netherlands" but not "from Holland", or vice versa? And if not, would one then be from the Neitherlands?
I think the point Paul was making was that what non Dutch call Holland is in fact only a part of the Kingdom of The Netherlands. It’s like an American asking where you are from and you say cardiff and they reply, “Oh, you’re from England then?”
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

wout
Star
Star
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by wout » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am

Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west

User avatar
JeffJetton
Star
Star
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by JeffJetton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 pm

wout wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am
Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west
And the people there are not called Hollanders, or Netherlanders, but rather "Dutch". However there is no "Dutchland", but there is a "Deutschland", only the people there are German...

It's all very confusing. :lol:

User avatar
debra
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by debra » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm

wout wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am
Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west
Actually there are two provinces, called "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland". There is no province called just "Holland".
Since you refer to north west that would then refer to Noord Holland.

But when far abroad it is often easier to just say you're from Holland than from The Netherlands.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

wout
Star
Star
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by wout » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

I know just trying not overcomplicate things :)

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by donn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Glenn wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 am
I think the point Paul was making was that what non Dutch call Holland is in fact only a part of the Kingdom of The Netherlands. It’s like an American asking where you are from and you say cardiff and they reply, “Oh, you’re from England then?”
I am guessing/hoping that the above is a typo - the non Dutch people over here on the other side of the world may not be very well versed in the exact whereabouts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (in fact, I admit that the Kingdom part is news to me), but I'm quite sure as soon as we knew where it is, we'd be calling it Holland. (Is it funny that in, say, German, that sounds a bit like "high land", the opposite of "netherlands"?) Of course, I make no claim that we'd all recognize Wales as separate from England, either. I have a vague impression from talking to a long-ago expat that the popular usage even over there in past eras might have occasionally used England a great deal more broadly than would be strictly correct.

RandomJohnny
Novice
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm
Location: Rotterdam/Holland

Re: Hello from Holland

Post by RandomJohnny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

debra wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm
wout wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am
Yes technically speaking holland is a province inside the netherlands in the north west
Actually there are two provinces, called "Noord Holland" and "Zuid Holland". There is no province called just "Holland".
Since you refer to north west that would then refer to Noord Holland.

But when far abroad it is often easier to just say you're from Holland than from The Netherlands.

Main reason why I stated Hello from Holland :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest