The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

Accordionly Afflicted...

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
Mr Mark
Novice
Novice

Accordionly Afflicted...

Post by Mr Mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 am

Greetings from Calgary Alberta, my name is Mark, and I have an Accordion Affliction. It is not a problem.

I've played piano accordion just over a year now, during which time I sustained multiple fractures to my right arm so it was the perfect opportunity to learn the bass buttons. Once the right arm was good again I endeavoured to self teach myself some piano. I then realized I never gave myself enough credit for how hard it was for me to play the guitar. I find this instrument so much more natural to me. And so much more fun, the best vocal accompaniment, and truly the best dance partner.

I play what I presume to be mainly a folk style, however my roots have been rock and heavy metal, so it's a little heavier than some folk might appreciate.

I love how dynamic and diverse this instrument is, how I can still be heard during an out of control acoustic jam, and how truly genius it is.

I hope to do the craftsmen and women of my instruments justice.

I have certainly found useful and helpful information here, with any luck I may be able to contribute some back.

Squeeze on.

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Accordionly Afflicted...

Post by Glenn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 am

Welcome to the forum Mark.

I sincerely hope that the multiple fractures were not a result of playing the accordion. If indeed they were then I can safely say you are either playing too hard or allowing the accordion to fall on you from a great hight.

In all seriousnous I'm "happy"to hear that you found the guitar more difficult. It's not just me then.....
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Mr Mark
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 am

Thanks Glenn,

No fractures from the accordion yet, but wouldn't be surprised if my newest/used model is going to require some fused vertebrae. It might have been lighter to strap an upright piano onto my chest. I will endeavour to not play too hard (I can already tell with the glares at jam time) and definitely refrain form accordion juggling, thank you.

I did also try cello last year and have a whole other level of respect for the stringed instruments as well. I'm not saying the accordion is easy! But easier for me...

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello Mark,

I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, and hope that you will soon make a full recovery.

I agree with all that you say about the accordion's versatility and presence.

Our Folk Club has a (thankfully) infrequent visitor who insists on accompanying everyone who plays a tune (whether they like it or not). I have nothing against people who join in with their guitars, but this one guy invariably takes over the tune. A few weeks ago he tried this with me, so I pumped those bellows extra hard and drowned him out. He hasn't been back since.

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery,

Stephen.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 pm

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Our Folk Club has a (thankfully) infrequent visitor who insists on accompanying everyone who plays a tune (whether they like it or not). I have nothing against people who join in with their guitars, but this one guy invariably takes over the tune. A few weeks ago he tried this with me, so I pumped those bellows extra hard and drowned him out. He hasn't been back since.
Hah! There is a guy with a button Morino that is very loud and I have seen him do that to a few players. Fortunately, he wasn't there when I played at the last accordion club's meeting, but unless I was using a PA, I doubt the Roland FR-8X would have the volume to be ablet to overpower him. That said, I have one weapon that would help me... I'd give him the stare of death and if that did not help, I would change music until I hit something he could not keep up with... lol

Gotta find my notes to Czardas and Trieste Overture now! :lol:
Stephen Hawkins wrote:Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery,
Please add me to that list too... speedy recovery Mark, from one Canadian to another! :ch
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

EMan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by EMan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Jerry, both of those tunes will do him in, for sure !

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:20 pm

EMan wrote:Jerry, both of those tunes will do him in, for sure !
:ch :lol:

Mr Mark
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Mark » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:42 am

Thanks for the well wishes Stephen and Jerry, for the most part things are as healed as they are going to get and although there are some lingering issues, there is nothing too damaging to my accordioning. Guitar on the other hand :roll: .

Having said that, I am finding the ladies seem to be more appreciative for accordion players than guitar players so I'll take the breaks as a blessing in disguise :lol: .

Presence and versatility absolute, it's like I have discovered the holy grail of musical instruments. I really wish I had years ago but now is as good a time as any.

I might actually find it most challenging of all to jam with other accordion players, come to think of it. This is based largely on the fact that I am still very new to it and not all that accomplished (some of the players I have seen really blow me away - huge respect to the most accomplished on the instrument!). To be honest I prefer fairly simple melodies and things I can sing with, usually on my own. I think this is the result of playing with too many rockstar egos over time :x , although I'm sure if I found good musicians of any sort to play with (at least ones who understand jam etiquette) it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the warm welcome, this is a good place :ch .

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 am

One of my own goals in 2017 is to play a few songs in a group with 1-2 accordionists as well. The local club is closed until February, which is a good thing because I need every second I can find to improve myself, but it would be nice to feel the pleasures of playing with a group again.

Mr Mark
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Mark » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 am

Nice, there is a local club here as well, and I should give it a go - it wouldn't hurt to try. In the meantime I am acutely aware my skills could use honing so the goal is to get back to my accordion books and cds, and chill on my own material for awhile. I hear you on it would be nice to play in a group again.

Good luck!