The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

New member from Minnesota

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: New member from Minnesota

Post by Soulsaver » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

Markl wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome!
One thing I noticed is that my left arm and shoulder is sore playing the FR7 so much the past few days. The bellows seem to require more effort than my Petosa which I played tonight and it was like nothing.
The bellows 'issue' with Roland accordions is well known, but not insurmountable. The FR7 is adjustable using a couple of methods - see the manual or post your issue on here under Digital viewforum.php?f=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..and you'll get help with it.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Markl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Markl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Stephen, so far the tunes have been fine and we usually discuss and agree on the possible song choices. I have had another instructor that gave me a couple that I hated and did convey that I would not continue with those. I agree, you have to enjoy the song you are learning or it's detrimental to the learning process. I think my present tutor has a good grasp on what I like so far and I'm not bound to a particular genre.

Hey Bobby! Gotta luv the Packer/Viking rivalry. Wish we could get consistent, another year of failed expectations when we started out so good.

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, I'd say that Clarinet Polka is beyond book 3 level, if we're talking about Palmer-Hughes at least. In fact, Palmer-Hughes has that tune in book 5 (although it's oddly in the key of G).

Nonetheless, it's a great piece and one of the first polkas I can remember hearing and really, really liking. No harm in giving it a shot, eh? {}

Happy girl
Expert
Expert

Post by Happy girl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

I can understand the theory why one wouldn’t want to play a tune to which one really has no affinity, but this one dimensional approach could have the drawback of not being open to new information, resulting in the curtailing of the learning/growing process.

Discussing and agreeing possible song choices is a perfect solution; to me it seems like a wasted opportunity when a student will play only what he wants rather than take advantage of the expertise & experience a good teacher has to offer.

We are all different, but this is my mantra: Keep learning; embrace new ideas in abundance, but above all, to ward off staleness, stay inquisitive.

Markl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Markl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Happy girl wrote:I can understand the theory why one wouldn’t want to play a tune to which one really has no affinity, but this one dimensional approach could have the drawback of not being open to new information, resulting in the curtailing of the learning/growing process.

Discussing and agreeing possible song choices is a perfect solution; to me it seems like a wasted opportunity when a student will play only what he wants rather than take advantage of the expertise & experience a good teacher has to offer.

We are all different, but this is my mantra: Keep learning; embrace new ideas in abundance, but above all, to ward off staleness, stay inquisitive.
For me, I wouldn't say that I will always only play what I want when it comes to the learning process, but sometimes you can encounter something that creates too much negativity to make it a learning opportunity. There are alot of music choices to pick from that can allow me to learn and practice using different keys, styles etc or have unique parts to them that will benefit me in my journey to master this instrument. My current tutor picks out tunes and explains why he picked a particular tune and what I will learn from it. But you are correct to keep an open mind and will continue to do so.

Maren
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Maren » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Mark,
What a great story! I grew up in Minnesota and was inspired to learn the accordion after seeing the Wallets playing in Minneapolis with Steve Kramer on accordion in the '80s (much to the despair of my classical guitarist father). I'm now in Oregon and also have a Petosa that I adore. Of course I'm always itching for a finer box.

I feel lessons are important, particularly to instill good form and habits. Enjoy!

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Bobby,

Yes, that's the way to do it. Why waste time with stuff you don't like?

Happy Girl,

I love hundreds and hundreds of tunes, from several different genres. The music I play encompasses Folk, 40's, 50's and 60's music and a bit of light jazz. I wouldn't say that is "one dimensional", nor could I ever agree that it is in any way restrictive.
In 14 months I will hit 70. Whatever time is left to me will certainly not be used learning tunes I don't like, especially as there are so many tunes I do like.
My Accordion is for fun .... I like it that way.