Every month a new tune to try!
JeffJetton
Star
Star

Re: Calypso Mexico

Post by JeffJetton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Keymn wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 am
I never performed in Europe or England, but when in Germany for 5 weeks, 15 years ago, I was amazed to find a Country Western club dance with a band playing American Country Music. Audience decked out in Western attire and doing Texas Two Step!
I did some country music gigs overseas a few times, years ago, and it was amusing to see the Europeans show up in their own conception of what "country attire" looks like, which seemed to sometimes take a cue from old Western movies.

So I saw more than few guys show up dressed as a full-on cowboys, complete with a holster and toy six-shooters (as I said, this was several years ago... I'm sure that wouldn't fly today), and their dates were dressed a la Pocohontas, feathered headdress and all.

Not sure if they still do that. (Edited to add: Oh wait, I guess they do. :D )
Last edited by JeffJetton on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Yes, when I'm playing for "Barn dances" or even something advertised as a Ceilidh, many people here in England automatically assume a "Wild West" theme and turn up in their cowboy outfits! Sometimes the hall gets decorated with plastic waggon wheels and cardboard cactuses!

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm

JeffJetton wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm
Keymn wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 am
I never performed in Europe or England, but when in Germany for 5 weeks, 15 years ago, I was amazed to find a Country Western club dance with a band playing American Country Music. Audience decked out in Western attire and doing Texas Two Step!
I did some country music gigs overseas a few times, years ago, and it was amusing to see the Europeans show up in their own conception of what "country attire" looks like, which seemed to sometimes take a cue from old Western movies.

So I saw more than few guys show up dressed as a full-on cowboys, complete with a holster and toy six-shooters (as I said, this was several years ago... I'm sure that wouldn't fly today), and their dates were dressed a la Pocohontas, feathered headdress and all.

Not sure if they still do that. (Edited to add: Oh wait, I guess they do. :D )
That is interesting with the feathered headdress and old western movie dress...my best country favorites are 60’s through 90’s. With the rise of Urban Cowboy scene in the 80’s, many western bars opened. Have one down the street in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
With our VAccordion’s we can break into this industry and utilize the piano, pedal steel sounds along with guitar, banjo and fiddle.
Tonight’s gig (at the American German Club Dance), I will attempt to add.

hais1273
Expert
Expert

Post by hais1273 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

I would be amazed if they didn't!. Quite a while ago, one of our French friends took us to a "Cowboy Bar" in the small Norman town of Yvetot, somewhere between Dieppe and Rouen It was very odd experience,. Piped country music, wall to "western" paraphenalia, odd saddle style bar stools. I was sure the barman had been the cowboy in village people at some point. Far far beyond camp and kitsch!

But we did have a good evening though.

But they did serve a very good entrecote steak... I suppose it proves that a good number of people want to be something else.