Let's go Cajun in March

Every month a new tune to try!
Anyanka

Let's go Cajun in March

Post by Anyanka » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Would somebody like to suggest an easy Cajun tune for the TotM? Something so easy that even I get around to joining in again... {}

If possible, please provide a link to sheet music and a sound sample!

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Let's go Cajun in March

Post by george garside » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Phil Cunningham told the story at a concert a few years ago that part way through a recording session for ? the BBC he and Ali Bain were asked by the producer to ''play some of their Cajun stuff'' after the break. As th''ey weren't into Cajun a quick conference in the bog came up with ''how much is that doggy in the window'' which they duly played as Cajun after the break.

They then played it at the concert I was attending and it was absolutely brilliant in its 'cajun' flavour -- so that's one everybody knows - just cajunify it !

george

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Any pointers on how to do that George?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:05 am

I think a general Cajun and zydeco theme would be fine, but if anyone has any simpler tunes to suggest, les haricots sont pas sales or whatever, I would be interested to hear. There are some brilliant waltzes but we had a few waltzes.

(I don't know any of this music but I think I can promise two zydeco contributions from someone else if we do go down that route.)

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Check this 5 part Lovebridge Waltz tutorial for an intro to Cajun Style

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yRgMUjBpI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is the sheet music if you want to play it on piano or chromatic.

http://www.zisman.ca/squeezebox/Music/L ... 0Waltz.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one I like:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VH3Z65EPno0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another potential intro set. This does not work on my ipad so I don't know if it's any good but it has sheet music and lots of videos. It's Lacassine Special which, with Evangeline Special is basci, common Cajun

http://www.bignick.net/BoxLessons/Lacas ... pecial.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, yeah, check out the

http://m.youtube.com/user/gumbobubbha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for even a couple piano accordion Cajun tunes

http://m.youtube.com/user/cpm6miller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I hope you find some of this interesting and you try a Cajun tune, I know I am!!! Tom
Last edited by Tom on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Wow, thank you Tom, I have no excuses now... Looking forward to hearing this.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Glenn wrote:Any pointers on how to do that George?
best advice I can give to obtain a realy authentic Cajun sound would be to get a proper Cajun box i.e. a 10 key one row 4 stop (LMMH)!

However, and being realistic , if thinking in terms of piano or continental box the following may well help

- forget the dots other than to get a very simple outline of the treble melody but preferably do that by ear.

- use only 4 bass i.e. bass note and major chord of the key being played in and the pair above i.e. if in C use just C & G do not go anywhere else! Use maximum number of bass reeds possible on the particular box.

- listen - ?you tube- and absorb the cajun rhythm particularly where the beat is emphasised. keep doing that, preferably just with one tune until you can hum it authentically!

- play the basic bare bones tune on the treble only concentrating on getting the feel of the rhythm ( the tunes are mostly very simple.

- start shoving in some ornamentation eg play in octaves i.e. shove down two D's , two B's or whatevers together. then try shoving down a few notes in between and beating the rhythm on another with a spare finger etc etc etc

- play the same rhythm on the bass (4 only) as you have just perfected on the treble!!

maybe a 10 key one row would make life easier!!!!

george ;)
Last edited by george garside on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russ
Expert
Expert

Post by Russ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Or you can play authentic Zydeco on a PA or CBA

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 am

Zydeco is good, a newer genre with Cajun influences but also urban blues, etc.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:23 am

Actually what is the difference ....? Seriously ...

Is Zydeco the newcomer and the version played on PA like by Clifton Chennier , Buckwheat Zydeco (though I suppose that there is a clue there ?! lol)

and the Cajun is the more traditional ...the 10 button single row 4 voice accordion...fiddle based music,.Balfa Bros, Mark Savoy et al.

I also am led to believe that you can tell by the way the tunes are danced ....one dances in a small space on the floor , the other dances around the whole dance floor ...not being a dancist I don't know which does what but seriously am I on the money about the differences....resources for Cajun Zydeco are very lacking in the North end of the English part of the UK.......though this could become the Northernmost tip of the UK if Salmond has his way !!

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 am

Well, that's a tough question with no easy answers, Jarvo. Zydeco is a more recent invention, has some Cajun roots but more uptempo, urban, most famous practitioner Clifton Chenier played piano accordion.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 pm

That is pretty much the definition that I can understand and ties in with other comments about PA = Zydeco BB = Cajun .And other things too..Thanks Tom

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:44 pm

jarvo wrote:That is pretty much the definition that I can understand and ties in with other comments about PA = Zydeco BB = Cajun .And other things too..Thanks Tom

whatever it is or isn't the important thing is to not be too seriarse and to have some fun playing the stuff!

george :lol:

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Ok.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:30 am

Oh alright ...I'll bite.....

http://youtu.be/H1S2kIjHuIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now be gentle ...this is my new toy and I only got it from Theo Gibb ( Boxplace Theo) on Friday morning....he will vouch that I couldn't put three notes together ...apart from the bass end..but that's only two..so here I am literally working out in my head how I would play this on the harp (monica) and sending the info down to the old fingers ,arms ,flippers and tentacles..........and as I get it wrong at the mouth end ...don't hold out much hope for a cohesive and genuine cajun tooon.......

Castagnari Max C tuned ....I rather am smitten with it .......

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:05 am

It's Tune of the Month, the rules don't say you need to get a new box as well! Congratulations, it's beautiful and to get that together in two days...

artelagro
Star
Star

Post by artelagro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 am

This thread started with the question ‘would someone suggest an easy Cajon tune?’
I half expected to see suggestions like the ‘Happy One-Step’, but instead there has been a definition of this genre of music which may have put contributors off because their suggestion may not fit the criterion as to what a Cajun tune is.
It has been an interesting history lesson but can we now move on and maybe someone suggest an easy Cajon (type) tune

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 am

Congratulations Jarvo on your new acquisition.
I've been hinting to my wife for some time now that such a small and innocuous little box would be an excellent addition to my accordion collection.
So far I've been stonewalled (in the nicest sense of course). How did you do it (or have you yet to reveal your purchase, hidden in your den)?

By the way, on the subject of Cajun music, your recording is pretty good for just a few days of practise. I can't wait until Thursday..... :)
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 am

Well done Jarvo! -- and welcome to the 'dark side'?!! - anybody else thinking of coming over!!

There is something about the one row 10 key box with the economical 2 bass. It is very intuitive once you get the hang of the basic scale IN BOTH OCTAVES. It can also of course be played in what mouthie players call the 2nd position i.e. a C box will also play in G , a G box can manage D and a D box can do A - all of course without the required accidentals which are cunningly faked by a process akin to 'smoke and mirrors'

loads of interesting one row info on melnet so worth a gander.

A nice easy Cajun waltz is the Lake Charles Waltz

george :D

Bella
Novice
Novice

Post by Bella » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:00 pm

That was fun - thank you Jarvo. I would love to join in, but nowhere near yet.