PLAYING TECHNIQUE FOR FOLK/TRAD DANCE MUSIC

Discuss traditional folk music from the British Isles, including Ireland, here.

Moderator: Anyanka

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: PLAYING TECHNIQUE FOR FOLK/TRAD DANCE MUSIC

Post by Matt Butcher » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Just got together with some adults and kids this afternoon and played some simple Irish and English tunes. The kids (not advanced players, only playing simple music) were loving it and had grasped the idea of playing with good timing, bounce and swing. That's it - I just wanted to mention it cos I thought it was great.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:08 pm

sounds good enough to do again Matt! The simplest way of assessing the efficacy of ones 'bounce and swing'' is to watch the feet of those not playing. If their feet are tapping in time to the music its definately fit for purpose, if not somethings not quite right.

george :)

smdc66
Superstar
Superstar

Post by smdc66 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 am

Matt Butcher wrote:Just got together with some adults and kids this afternoon and played some simple Irish and English tunes with good timing, bounce and swing.

wish i was there , sounds great - with it being simple stuff i may have been able to join in too (possibly)

:)

what was in the repertoire?
Me, Myself and My Hohner

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 pm

there is a very useful tune book called ''join the band'' published by EFDSS ( English folk song and dance society) and should be available by post from them or at their London shop.

It is suitable for adults and children and contains 60 or so tunes all set out as single melody line with bass given by name rather than notation eg D etc.
It aslso included very simple second parts for those not ready for the main tune.

to quote from the introduction ''The tunes have been selected and arranged so that young people at all levels of musical development an take part without too much teaching and preparation. Those who are aalready skilled should be able to play tunes at speed quite easily. Thosewho have only mastered a few notes ----cana take advantage of the suggestions for second parts or rhythmic acompanyments -----''

the tunes are ones most people will know or at least have heard already eg buffalo girls, Jamie allen, rattling bog, ih susaanna,coming round the mountain, lord of the dance,keel row,click go the shears,blaydon races, cock of the north, oh dear what acan the matter be, waters of tyne, etc etc and aae divided into reels, jigs and waltzes.

george