Royal Scots Polka

Discuss traditional folk music from the British Isles, including Ireland, here.

Moderator: Anyanka

DaveGD
Improver
Improver

Royal Scots Polka

Post by DaveGD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Can anyone help with dots and chords for the tune Royal Scots Polka ? I have the bagpipe version but struggling with the chords.

Thanks
DaveGD

Rebeka
Novice
Novice

Re: Royal Scots Polka

Post by Rebeka » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 pm

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trill ... -64-8/0000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveGD
Improver
Improver

Post by DaveGD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Rebeka, thanks for the post. The site is down for repairs but I will try later.

Dave

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Not sure if it's the same one but there's a version here:
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunatelty neither pdf nor gif files are available but if you copy the abc notation into one of the converters e.g. http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can choose it as a pdf to download.

Although the abc notation link from Rebeka mentions JC's tunefinder none of the versions there had chords annotated.

Rebeka
Novice
Novice

Post by Rebeka » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Although the abc notation link from Rebeka mentions JC's tunefinder none of the versions there had chords annotated.

That always really annoys me. Trad music (that isn't for pipes) is probably going to be played by a fiddle or accordion, so would it really kill composers/transcribers to add in chords? Ok, so it's not their fault that my terrible ear means I have to agonise over basses for ages when putting them in myself, but the music is incomplete without them.

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Rebeka wrote:Although the abc notation link from Rebeka mentions JC's tunefinder none of the versions there had chords annotated.

That always really annoys me.
Me too Rebeka!
Trad music (that isn't for pipes) is probably going to be played by a fiddle or accordion, so would it really kill composers/transcribers to add in chords? Ok, so it's not their fault that my terrible ear means I have to agonise over basses for ages when putting them in myself, but the music is incomplete without them.
I can empathise with that too ;) More than a little frustrating at times!

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 am

Rebeka wrote:Although the abc notation link from Rebeka mentions JC's tunefinder none of the versions there had chords annotated.

That always really annoys me. Trad music (that isn't for pipes) is probably going to be played by a fiddle or accordion, so would it really kill composers/transcribers to add in chords? Ok, so it's not their fault that my terrible ear means I have to agonise over basses for ages when putting them in myself, but the music is incomplete without them.
Tune-focussed people, who play single-line instruments, fiddle, flute, whistle, are mainly interested in tunes! (QED!) They leave chords and accompaniment to other people who like that sort of thing! :o Some traditions have a strong single-line ethos - chordal accompaniment is tolerated at best. They would disagree that the music is incomplete without chords. There are plenty of people who feel that many of the tunes that are most worth playing are harmonically ambiguous, and there is no right answer. Etc etc.

Fundamentally I'd suggest that for most trad tunes, chords are not "part of the tune" they are something to be added later depending on circumstances. That may seem strange or annoying depending on the musical style a player comes from.

There's also the argument that it's good for us to work on finding our own chords.... :twisted:

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:28 pm

TomBR wrote:There's also the argument that it's good for us to work on finding our own chords.... :twisted:
psst.... they're on the left side (doesn't apply to monotone instruments e.g. Violin)

This thread was about the Royal Scots Polka, originally a pipe tune composed by Pipe Major Willie Denholm, The Royal Scots.
Here's the original presented in the Key of A myxolidian: http://www.bagpipe-tutorials.com/the-ro ... polka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy Shand was one of several who adapted the tune for playing on, in his case, the British Chromatic Accordion with a stradella bass. It is not therefore unreasonable to expect sheet music with chords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlxXAVWTyrc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm

A cracking tune which I have always underst0od was composed by Jim Denholme a very good friend of Jimmy Shands, but I may be wrong and it could be pipe major Denholme , a different bloke, who composed it.

My copy of the dots uses a mixture of D and A7 bass throughout the proceedings with the exeption of the 2nd bar of the last line of the A part which has a quick stab at Em. As far as I am concerned something on those lines works fine as as the essence of the tune is in the melody rather than the bass accompaniment which I think should be kept simple and unobtrusive.

Sir Jimmy Shands recording of it is on you tube and is well worth a listen

george