Two fiddles and accordion

Discuss traditional folk music from the British Isles, including Ireland, here.

Moderator: Anyanka

colinm
Star
Star

Two fiddles and accordion

Post by colinm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can get music suitable for 2 violins and an accordion, the violinists are grade 8 the accordionist is probably a 3 or 4, I am thinking folk music or simple classical, Italian arrangements, need to be able to learn it in 2 months, we only need enough for 10 minutes, hope someone can help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto, scandalli super vi

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Two fiddles and accordion

Post by george garside » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:30 pm

I don't think there is any such thing in the folk world as music for two fiddles and accordion. If you must play from the dots all that is needed is a simple melody line which all 3 an use to get the right notes in the right order. From there on its a question of playing from the heart and above all listening to the sounds you are making and varying note length,gaps etc accordingly so as to put life into the tunes.

In many ways 'playing the gaps' is more important than playing the notes.

Possible variations with 3 instruments could be

introduction of A part of first tune on single fiddle (that is assuming the violinists can to fiddle!) then bring in other fiddle and box ,

Use the box as a 2nd box for some tunes or part of tunes i.e. play chords on both ends maybe with rhythm or maybe as a light drone here and there but do vary it.

play solo box first time through tune and then bring in one fiddle playing tune and 2nd fiddle adding drones here and there.

All play the same but perhaps using one or more of above here and there.

As to bass on the box busk in using maybe no more than 3 or 4 chords/bass notes and if playing um pa or um pa pa alternate with counterbass but keep bass staccato.

If you post some idea of who/what you are playing for no doubt some of us will suggest suitable tunes and if absolutely necessary point you in the direction o some dots.

Avoid trying to play like a chamber orchestra or any other similar classical dot reading ensemble and above all 'keep it simple'

george

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks George, yes I would prefer some dots, it is just for a small town variety show where there will ten 10 minute spots,
I know beggars can,t be choosers but the violinists need 2 parts of similar complexity, they are very competitive twins, I can just add bass so long as it is not all um pa
For me it is quite time consuming learning a tune even if I have the music, if I do not have music it is impossible
cm

aaronishappy
Improver
Improver

Post by aaronishappy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Colin

I have some klezmer sheet music, for the accordion, and some of the tunes have accompaniments for the fiddle. Would you like me to scan them and post them on?

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks Aaron, that would be very good, just send me one sheet to start and I will let you know what I think,

Any progress with your bass buttons?

Cm

aaronishappy
Improver
Improver

Post by aaronishappy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:16 pm

No problem. It will have to be tomorrow afternoon though, as my only access to a scanner is inside the university which is of course closed at this hour.

And yes! Check my latest response... :)

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Ok,thanks

rbs
Improver
Improver

Post by rbs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:41 pm

There is a book of fiddle duets called "Airs for Pairs". Use that for the fiddles and construct an accompaniment on the accordion perhaps?

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks, I will have a look for that
Cm

hais1273
Expert
Expert

Post by hais1273 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:04 am

I agree with George. Keep it simple, and I hope you don't mind if I suggest that you play a couple of well known singalong or clapalong pieces. We've organized a small number of accordion concerts at a local church, to help raise funds for the maintenance of the ancient building. We found the best response from the audience was for popular, well known pieces. Metsukukkia, (Forest Flowers) Sous les Toits de la Rue de Tiquetonne, which we like to play received polite applause, but "Bobby Shaftoe" " Drunken Sailor", "Kalinka" got the audience involved. Good Luck what ever you do!

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 am

completely agree! I would suggest that if you include a singalong/foot tapping set with whatever else you do. Possibilities aare a 'sqare dance set eg Oh dem golden slippers, Oh Suzannah , yellow rose of texas . A popular Scottish march set, eg cock of the north and 100 pipers, A two step set eg Blaydon races, Madammoiselle from Armentiers, life on the ocean wave. ( a 3 tune set with each tune played AA/BB twice should take around 4 minutes)

Get the audiences feet tapping and they are with you!

george

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:47 am

I go along with that and I do not mind buying the music, does any exist because I can,t do arrangements in the time available, I would like there to be 3 parts rather than us all playing the same or is it aacceptable to all play the same, seems a bit boring
cm

artidots
Expert
Expert

Post by artidots » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:41 am

'The Village Band Book' Volumes 1 to 4 by Dave Townsend, published by Serpent Press include/s lots of pieces in 3, 4 or even 5 parts, typically three harmonised parts in treble clef plus one in bass clef. Chord symbols are also included over the top stave.

The tunes are mainly English Dance and vary quite a bit in complexity from a bit corny to 'pretty notey'.

Could be close to what you are looking for though not classical or terribly sophisticated (and nothing wrong with that, we have successfully used quite a few of the tunes, though mainly as duets)

'best

Rob
Rob.T. Originally, but no longer for health reasons, a Fantini SP30 T PA. Now:shared Weltmeister Rubin PA. Castagnari Hascy D/G. German Hohner Pokerwork G/C. Wheatstone Aeola E. Concertina. Lachenal C/G Anglo Concertina.

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks Rob, I,ll have a look at that
cm

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:58 pm

I see there are volumes 1-4, do you know which has the most popular tunes
cm

artidots
Expert
Expert

Post by artidots » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Well, I guess it depends on your personal ideas really Colin but here I have attempted to show just the indices (hope that does not break any copyright) from Vol 3 and Vol 4 which we have. If they are a bit blurry it is because I tried to keep the file size down.

Rob
Attachments
Index Vol 4.pdf
(38.68 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Index Vol 3.pdf
(42.69 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Rob.T. Originally, but no longer for health reasons, a Fantini SP30 T PA. Now:shared Weltmeister Rubin PA. Castagnari Hascy D/G. German Hohner Pokerwork G/C. Wheatstone Aeola E. Concertina. Lachenal C/G Anglo Concertina.

artidots
Expert
Expert

Post by artidots » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:39 pm

If it's any help Colin we have used from those books:

New Road to Alston (hmm, but Marj' likes it))
Harper's Frolic with Bonny Kate (Harper's is good !)
The Hungarian Waltz (well liked by the listeners)
Mr Beveridge's Maggot (lovely tune of course, fairly simple 2nd part works better than you might think)

Rob

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks Rob
Oh by the way "antidots" and admitting to reading music
cm