Cajun

Moderator: Glenn

Daveg4otu

Cajun

Post by Daveg4otu » Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Lonely place this - but I'm sure I can't be the only person liking cajun blues.
Here's a real classic with a nice accordion accompaniment .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42xhqxAPfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don Roberts
Improver
Improver

Re: Cajun

Post by Don Roberts » Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for posting this thread. I have long been a fan of Cajun music and have several original LP albums from the very early days. Back then, the recordings were generally poor some recorded in dance halls or in the home of the artist. It wasn't unusual to hear a dog bark in the background.
C#/D CBA PA GHB SSP other stuff.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Fri May 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I like Cajun style accordion - mostly it seems to get played on one-row melojeons, though. What specifically is it that makes the distinctive Cajun style/sound?
We were at the Rochester Sweeps last Sunday and saw a Morris side using a Cajun tune for a dance. It worked really well.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I think views might be divided on the Cajun .....as there seems to be a wide ranging variety.....however my uinderstanding is that it is the driving rhythm and traditionally a washboard or triangle accompaniement .....then in my "limited" (last couple of years) experience there are soooooo many combinations .....fiddle leads(original Zydeco/Cajun which are two distinct styles and genres originally but over decades have blurred the lines)then the Ackordeens got in because they were louder and piano accordions championed by folks such as Clifton Chennier and later his son CJ.....I find getting source material very difficult in this country and you don't know if you are getting the real deal .
So that's the tiny little bitty bit I know about cajun.........except for it makes me want to cook Jambalaya,chug cold suds and reach for me ole beat up ackordeen ......any help immensely grateful.......

CJ

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Fri May 10, 2013 2:22 pm

I think that sites such as Youtube have been an immense help in locating long forgotten tunes by equally long forgotten singers and bands.

As regards what makes it (cajun or zydeco) IMO it is usually the combination of fiddle and some kind of accordion or melodeon with a Triangle and possibly a rythm guitar that gives it the sound.

I've loved it since first hearing some (very commecial) stuff from Jimmy C Newman in the 60s ..and then later visiting Louisiana with my wife who was an Acadian/Algonquin lady.
Last edited by Daveg4otu on Fri May 10, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

~I am led to believe that the triangle is the derigeur or a washboard may substitute.....sometimes I have seen washboard jackets in videos ...amazing.......... :lol:

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Strap-on washboard.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxJow0jOrI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Now look here Mr Dave Golf figure 4 Oscar Tango Uniform, :lol: to use your Sunday Best name.....these here little links you post are all well and good......but an hour and several dozen more later little vids later it all starts to make me think .....I need to buy some lps and CDs and not keep wandering off into You Tube Land watching the rest of the VIDs that follow on....... :mrgreen: ......I just kept following the links after the one that you posted ....Wayne Toups,Clifton Chenier,Buckwheat Zydeco,EricAJundelyon..........and more .....and I can even jam a little to some of them....tho ' its more like maramaladeing at the mo'

CJ

PS Keep 'em coming .....but where can we get CDs in the UK.....?

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I just download the FLVs from Youtube.

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Daveg4otu wrote:I just download the FLVs from Youtube.
What's an FLV?

I have a piece of software which converts the sound from YouTube videos and converts it to mp3 files. Works a treat :)
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Fri May 10, 2013 5:10 pm

I had exactly the same question Knobby.
I thought FLV were video files of some sort?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Go on Knobby...tell us what the software is and where can I get some ? :?: :P

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 pm

FLVs are the Youtube (and other video places ) files.

Just Google for FLV Downloader Free....there are several out there. Most are freeware but carry assorted ads and toolbars which you need to exclude when you install.

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Fri May 10, 2013 5:38 pm

jarvo wrote:Go on Knobby...tell us what the software is and where can I get some ? :?: :P
I use http://www.flvto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which can be used online or they have a program that yoou can download, which is what I use (I should've realised what FLV was :oops: )
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Ta :tup: ....now lets stretch this collection. :shock: 8-) :D

TW
Expert
Expert

Post by TW » Fri May 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Clipgrab is good too, OpenSource.
I use it in a LInux system but its OK for the less well known system.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 pm

However to possibly wrench the steering wheel on the Topicality Truck and scream the tyres back in the direction of Cajun..........I notice that more cajun music is played on a cajun accordion ....(which looks a lot like a diatonic melodeon ...........?) So ....who are the great exponents of the Cajun Piano Accordion ? I got a opening hand of :

Buckwheat Zydeco
Clifton Chenier
CJ Chenier {}

I have to confess that could cause a stampede towards a melodeon on my behalf.......agggh I am so fickle....can you even get cajun accordions over here ........ :geek: {} :mrgreen: ?

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Sun May 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Of course you can! Not that I'd recommend this particular make, but http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/products ... deon-in-C/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sun May 12, 2013 2:38 pm

cool.......on me cyber way to have a gander :tup:

I just bought an ebook of 15 cajun songs from Melbay for $12.00.........I just need to You Tube some of the tunes to get a feel for them ....this book is rather good.......... {} I'll have to go easy on my broken pallet though :evil: :tdown: {} :geek:

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sun May 12, 2013 2:43 pm

ouch 300.sovs for a chinese built squeezebox ....thats 30 sovs a button ! Still... ;)