The 2nd Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Sunday 8 April 2018
For more details Click Here

Back to back comparison

Moderator: Glenn

Back to back comparison

Post by Knobby » Fri May 10, 2013 5:19 pm

I enjoyed the film "Southern Comfort" and in particular this song played at the Cajun party:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

A few years later I heard "What's the Colour of Money" by Hollywood Beyond and liked it immediately, but was sure I'd heard it before somewhere:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

So it would appear that back in 1986 a Cajun song hit number 7 in the UK charts :tup:

Does anyone know the original name of the song?
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Back to back comparison

Post by jarvo » Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

"Parlez nous a Boire" Speak to me of Drinking......very droll.....

" Talk to us about drinking, but not about mariage
We're still remembering the good old times
If you're getting married with a beautiful girl
It's very dangerous, they're gonna steal her
If you're getting married with an ugly girl
It's very dangerous, you're gonne spend your life with her "

Looks like the performers were the 1981 line up of the Balfa Brothers.....originally 5 of them,whittled down to three siblings by a car crash in 1979. Dewey is the fiddle playing singer.........there ,researched by me .....thanks to the WWW :tup: :P" onclick=";return false; follow this thread and just follow the Balfa Brothers links afterward. :geek: {}

Re: Back to back comparison

Post by Corinto » Wed May 15, 2013 7:27 pm

As stated by jarvo, it is called 'Parlez-nous à boire' ('Let's Talk About Drinking'), and is sung by well known Cajun musician Dewey Balfa. You can listen to a slightly different version of the song than the one heard in the film here (=" onclick=";return false; ).

As an aside, some people have commented on the similarities between the music of 'Parlez-nous à boire' and Hollywood Beyond's 'What's the Color of Money?' (from the 1986 Martin Scorsese film The Color of Money). That's because the chorus of 'What's the Color of Money?' samples the music of 'Parlez-nous à boire'.

From IMDB =" onclick=";return false;
Carpe diem, C.