Bluegrass

Moderator: Glenn

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Bluegrass

Post by jarvo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:36 am

Is the Accordion ever used in Bluegrass music.....?

I know there are pretty tight "rules" about this genre in the USA.....checked out banjohangout forum....I daren't ask them ....I already had my head bitten over something else I asked about the "different" styles of banjo playing.....sheesh.... :oops: :cry: :b

goldtopia

Re: Bluegrass

Post by goldtopia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:10 am

I play and teach bluegrass banjo, http://www.motleyminstrels.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The accordion is definately not suited to bluegrass music. Though you can play country music and folk songs on the accordion. I have seen banjo and accordion play bluegrass together but it don't sound right unless the banjo is just strumming to keep time but finger picking with accordion dont go well at all. In fact, I mentioned it on banjohangout forum last year and the reaction was not favourable.

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:29 am

The accordion is very versatile as this clip shows -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4KANCuatAg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 am

I like it Jim. Thanks for finding that.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

goldtopia

Post by goldtopia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 am

Yes. I sometimes play with a fiddle, but for a bluegrass band its a no-go.

dunlustin
Superstar
Superstar

Post by dunlustin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:53 am

I posted this on another site and was not well-received:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IaGfPuWTQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might not want to listen to it all but he does play accordion and banjo - at the same time!

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 am

I know bugger all about bluegrass from a technical/correct point of view but I enjoy listening to it. I can't see any reason why a box can't be used with a banjo as a substitute fiddle, using single vioice concert pitch medium reed and no bass.

I sometimes use the little single voice ( a very powerful single voice) castagnari lilly melodeon as a 'substitute' fiddle to go along with a larger accordion (playing as an accordion!) When doing this I only use the treble on the Lilly.

Just a thought!

george

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:18 am

The accordion is working well with American folk music, try visiting youtube and sample the group -- Emily Bonn & The Vivants. JIM D.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Good posts JIM /Dunlustin.... (not well received ....not everyone is as enlightented......(?)....as us Rolandophiles though ;) )

@ JIM that is another problem we have over here with definitions.......define American Folk , because over here every thing from Appalachian Dulcimer music to ZZTop can end up in American Folk......with all sorts of Mississippi Delta Blues, Neil Youngs and Jimmy Buffets thrown in that can end up under that appellation.........

I was under the impression, from my experience with BHO (Banjohangout) that the accordion was not viewed favourably ( well ,goes without saying generally :lol: )as a bluegrass instrument ,but I don't see why not ........you may have to tame it a little and just thump out single note bass to emulate the bass fiddle......

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:28 pm

The best definition of American folk can be found here -- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_folk_music

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

In the past 30 years string instruments have become most favored and the instruments of choice in all American folk music. The accordion was popular before this as this from the 1930's -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NG9SbqV2u8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 pm

That is one hell of a definition ....and explains why nearly all HMV etc shops lump so many artists into the American Folk genre..........

as to the You Tube Vid........that's how I like to hear an accordion played....from 1 min 34 ish to 2min 22 straight jam butty just like it says PIANO accordion.......nice.

Any idea whom it was that played on this recording.

Cheers

Jarvo

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

It was one of the Deiro Brothers on a PA, not sure which one as they both performed exactly the same.

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Can't really see why an accordion could not be used in Bluegrass -...but it isn't something that readily springs to mind.

I agree that defining American Folk music is not an easy thing. I suppose to me it would probably such people as Cleoma Breaux(Cajun),Robert Johnson(Delta Blues) or the Carter Family(pure country)...

But then what about Native American / American Indian music? Surely that has a place somewhere in the "Folk " definition?

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 am

What of native American music ?? The simple answer is there really was none. Native people from north and south america, the arctic (Inuit), deepest Africa, and Indigenous Australians used chants and rhythmic beats for there basic entertainment. It was-n't until the Europeans learned that the world was round and discovered these native populations, and in the process stole there land,robbed them of there wealth and introduced them to civilized music. I always remember the story about Columbus setting foot on the new land and confronting the native chief saying "hablas espanol?" and the chief turns around to his subjects an says "There Goes The Neighborhood!!!" JIM D.
Last edited by JIM D. on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:41 am

JIM D. wrote:What of native American music ?? The simple answer is there really was none. Native people from north and south america, the arctic (Inuit), deepest Africa, and Indigenous Australians used chants and rhythmic beats for there basic entertainment. It was-n't until the Europeans learned that the world was round and discovered these native populations, and in the process stole there land,robbed them of there wealth and introduced them to civilized music. I always remember the story about Columbus setting foot on the new land and confronting the native chief saying "hablas espanol?" and the chief turns around to his subjects an says "Here Goes The Neighborhood!!!" JIM D.
:lol:

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:27 am

:?:

Not sure what to make of this.
Europeans didn't invent music, or complex music, there is plenty of evidence about this.
But anyway, I don't know anything about bluegrass, so that's it from me on this one.

dunlustin
Superstar
Superstar

Post by dunlustin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:17 am

Isn't there something about Africa and the banjo?

Try googling "griot" and "Mali" for further insights.

JeffJetton
Star
Star

Post by JeffJetton » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:21 pm

jarvo wrote:Is the Accordion ever used in Bluegrass music.....?
Just resurrecting this old thread to point out that, while you don't typically find accordion in authentic bluegrass music, it's not without precedent.

In fact, Bill Monroe--the "father of bluegrass" himself--used to have an accordion player in his band! Sally Ann Forrester was a member of his "Bluegrass Boys" for a few years in the mid-1940s, and can be heard on some of the recordings from that era, such as this one: https://youtu.be/0gkM63Q4wbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Granted, this isn't quite the familiar style of bluegrass that Monroe would evolve toward when he added Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs to the band, but still...)

Here she is a few years after that, playing some old-time music with Tommy Scott and his "Merry Mountaineers": https://youtu.be/vvpMKxGdnRA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jeff

BrandyD
Star
Star

Post by BrandyD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:15 pm

I have found the accordion to be a versatile instrument. There is no music that cannot be played on the accordion, it's all up to the player and the talents of the player. I do play a few bluegrass songs on my accordion and people love it!!!!! Why would the accordion be except from bluegrass - other than people stereotyping the accordion? In the 70's I played rock music on the accordion - people would balk at it until they heard it! Any type of music can be played on an accordion.