Baile accordion thoughts?

Discussions & info on specific accordions here.
Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Baile accordion thoughts?

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Ouija,

Your dealer did you a real favour by steering you away from bigger boxes, as trying to play a larger instrument may have put you off.

I started with a 12 Bass, practicing with that instrument (a Galotta) until I hit the limit of its ability. Then I moved on to a 72 Bass Chanson, which seems to have all the notes I need.

It has not happened yet but, when/if I hit the buffers with the 72 Bass, I may consider a 120. I have recently been offered an Italian 120 Bass, but have yet to see the instrument. This instrument may not actually be Italian, as the vendor was not sure at the time she made the offer. I await developments.

Enjoy your instrument.

Stephen.

wout
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by wout » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 am

Hello! For me the number of bassbuttons don't really matter that much. I think you should look at whats your capability of your right hand since the bassbuttons after 72 just repeat themselves. Also what was very important to me was the number of voices, thats the real emphasis of the sound in an accordion

OuijaBoard
Novice
Novice

Post by OuijaBoard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am

]]]Ouija, Your dealer did you a real favour by steering you away from bigger boxes,[[[

That wasn't yours truly. It was another poster on this thread. I learned PA before going to CBA, so have played with 120 basses. But I do hate big boxes, except when other people play them. I don't like the 120 bass layout. My favorite bass config is 72, 60 a close second, and will consider 96 or even 48 so long as the 48 is a 12X4 so as to have all scale tones. And love a smaller treble complement so long as it is a minimum of 30 tones.

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 am

OuijaBoard wrote:... I learned PA before going to CBA, so have played with 120 basses. But I do hate big boxes, except when other people play them.
CBA gives you much more than PA in a small package. I was just looking at a Borsini Concerto Mini which is 39 × 21.5 × 37 cm, supposedly 10,5kg (but they all lie) and it is 3 voice, cassotto, convertor, 52 notes!!! and I have a Bugari 540/ARS/C which is 4 voice, cassotto, convertor, 52 notes, 41 x 22.3 43.5 cm and supposedly 12,4kg (but I know that is not true). These are all 120 bass and especially on that Borsini the 120 only barely fit that small size. You can also get 96 bass instruments that have 46 notes (one more than a Morino VI or many other huge PA's).
My wife and I switched from PA to CBA mainly for the smaller size. My Bayan is 46 x 23 x 46 cm and supposedly 13,9 kg (but again that is not true). You get 64 notes in that small size.

For a beginner who wants small and light, CBA is definitely the way to go. For an experiences PA player it is not (takes many years of practice).
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am

Ouija,

I do beg your pardon. Please put my conflation down to advanced years. My mind isn't always the steel trap it once was.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

OuijaBoard
Novice
Novice

Post by OuijaBoard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am

]]]For a beginner who wants small and light, CBA is definitely the way to go. For an experiences PA player it is not (takes many years of practice).

I think mileage may vary on this one. I switched from PA to CBA with happy results, and know of others who've done the same. But I play other button systems and get a kick out of learning them, have actually learned another one since taking on CBA. What I will say I did do when learning CBA was, spent quite a long time playing right-hand only and getting that deep into the neural pathways before starting to put it together with the basses I already knew from PA. A long time.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 am

OuijaBoard wrote:]]]For a beginner who wants small and light, CBA is definitely the way to go. For an experiences PA player it is not (takes many years of practice).

A. What I will say I did do when learning CBA was, spent quite a long time playing right-hand only and getting that deep into the neural pathways before starting to put it together with the basses I already knew from PA. A long time.
that is exactly what I have always suggested to piano box players taking up the continental. Learning one thing at a time is far more sensible and the left hand skills won't have gone away when the time comes to re use them. In fact this happens more or less without conscious thought when the student starts to properly get the hang of the button treble end

george