Paolo Soprani model?

Discussions & info on specific accordions here.
norsery
Beginner
Beginner

Paolo Soprani model?

Post by norsery » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello All,

I recently acquired this Paolo Soprani accordion but have had no luck finding this specific model anywhere online to find out more about it.

Would any of you happen to know more or where I may be able to find this out?

Appreciate any help I can get on this one.

Thanks,
Eric

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Paolo Soprani model?

Post by JIM D. » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:24 pm

With the waterfall keys, this is an old one. try here -
https://www.google.com/search?q=paolo+s ... h&tbo=u&so" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

truthinbeer
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by truthinbeer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:58 am

Nice looking accordion norsery. Welcome to the forum.
1950's model if you believe this ad for a similar looking instrument - https://reverb.com/item/1427429-paolo-s ... licies-tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:19 am

This question has been raised before and got two answers: It's maybe an 'Italia'; which got the response that it means made in Italy. And in support of the 'made in Italy' theory, you can find several models from that time with Italia on the front. Frustratingly PS didn't always have (at least, put) a model name on all their accordions. This does cause confusion from time to time and I can attest to the fact, as I've owned a 1960s model identical to a Super Paolo, except it wasn't casotto and wasn't badged SP. It had no badges other than Paolo Soprani... and it wasn't a one off: I've seen several instances of the same model coming up on ebay, usually claiming to be a SP & asking prices to match.

Yours with the waterfall keys will be just pre war from memory.
Attachments
paolo soprani.jpg
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

truthinbeer
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by truthinbeer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:15 am

Soulsaver wrote:...
Yours with the waterfall keys will be just pre war from memory.
Boy, that makes mine really old.

norsery
Beginner
Beginner

Post by norsery » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome Truthinbeer, and for the responses everyone!

Clearly some knowledge in here.

Truthinbeer - That is the first picture I have seen that has matched so good job finding this. I looked for quite awhile - some time ago. Also good to know what it is being sold for.

Soulsaver - It does say Italia on it so that sounds right. If I recall correctly there were quite a few when searching that looked similar so I could understand the frustration.

Not quite sure what I will do with it at this point as I want to find it the right home but knowing about it certainly will help me do so.

Great forum here!

Eric

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Judging by their button accordions, Paolo Soprani only put "Italia" on their instruments from 1953 until about 1958.

The exact same model of piano accordion is listed and illustrated in their 1953 Italian catalogue that I have, with the model name "Lusso" (meaning "De-Luxe"), and in that 41/120, 4-voice, 7-coupler configuration, like the one in the o/p's photograph, they cost Lire 80,000 at the time.

They came in other configurations too, starting with a 37/80, 3-voice, 5-coupler one for Lire 55,000, and rising to a 41/140, 4-voice, 15-coupler, with cassotto, for Lire 120,000. .

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:24 am

Here's a scan of the 1953 catalogue page, with the very same "Lusso" model on the right:

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:19 am
Frustratingly PS didn't always have (at least, put) a model name on all their accordions. This does cause confusion from time to time and I can attest to the fact, as I've owned a 1960s model identical to a Super Paolo, except it wasn't casotto and wasn't badged SP. It had no badges other than Paolo Soprani... and it wasn't a one off: I've seen several instances of the same model coming up on ebay, usually claiming to be a SP & asking prices to match.
This one (below right) from the 1953 catalogue sounds to be a "Super Paolo" model, though not badged or described as such (but the SP designation may have been an importer's one), and it looks (outwardly) very similar to the "Lusso" model in my previous post: