Accordion Badge Identification

Discussions & info on specific accordions here.
geoff45789
Superstar
Superstar

Accordion Badge Identification

Post by geoff45789 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm

I recently bought an accordion on eBay labelled as 'Bell' but I'm fairly certain it's a Sonola based on the badge.
Sonola4.png
looks like a Sonola
Sonola4.png (32.39 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Now there's another one - I can't identify the badge this time.
mystery.png
mystery manufacturer
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-Vintage ... SwMhda0fRV
The accordion looks similar to a Weltmeister to me. Not that I want to buy another accordion - I don't think I could get away with it. By the way, I think accordion addiction should be recognised as a genuine medical condition and treated with more sympathy ;)
Can you identify the mystery badge?

triskel
Novice
Novice

Re: Accordion Badge Identification

Post by triskel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 am

geoff45789 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm
The accordion looks similar to a Weltmeister to me. ...
The shape of the shield it's in is the same as on many Weltmeister badges, but then, under the G.D.R., all the old factories in Klingenthal came under state control over time and got merged into the one VEB Klingenthaler Harmonikawerke factory (at the large former F. A. Rauner premises, which became those of Harmona/Weltmeister after reunification).

Numerous brands were produced there, including Weltmeister (which was originally an F. A. Rauner brand name), Bandmaster (C. A. Seydel), Galotta (originally G. A. Schlott & Söhne) and Royal Standard etc., etc., and they used the emblem on the badge in question sometimes on accordions branded Galotta, and also Vermona. They also made lots of "house brands" for numerous firms around the world.
Last edited by triskel on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am

Don't recognise the first badge, but Bells of Surbiton, Surrey, were a UK accordion dealer who imported accordions from Italy and sold them under their own "brand" name. Somebody may be able to positively connect the badge with that company.

Only make I know they imported was Paolo Soprani, but it is possible there were others.

EDIT:- You're spot on about the badge. It is in fact the badge still used by Sonola. See here:-

http://www.sonola.it/Gallery/Gallery.html

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am
Don't recognise the first badge, but Bells of Surbiton, Surrey, were a UK accordion dealer who imported accordions from Italy and sold them under their own "brand" name.
Ah, but register switches and grille really look like Klingenthal work from the former GDR on this one.

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 am

I believe the OP is talking about two accordions. My post only concerned the first one, and not the one on the eBay link.

I cannot identify the badge on the second accordion at all.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 am
I believe the OP is talking about two accordions. My post only concerned the first one, and not the one on the eBay link.
Ah, right. I was talking about the second one indeed.

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 pm

geoff45789 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm
The accordion looks similar to a Weltmeister to me. ...
I'll simplify my reply, which may be confusing because it contains "too much information".

The second badge, the one being asked about, is one used by the VEB Klingenthaler Harmonikawerke factory in GDR (Communist East German) times on accordions branded Vermona, and sometimes on ones labelled Galotta too.

That factory was a State nationalisation/amalgamation of the old Klingenthal manufacturers, which produced many brands including Weltmeister.
Last edited by triskel on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am
... Bells of Surbiton, Surrey, were a UK accordion dealer who imported accordions from Italy and sold them under their own "brand" name. ''

Only make I know they imported was Paolo Soprani, but it is possible there were others.

EDIT:- You're spot on about the badge. It is in fact the badge still used by Sonola.
Bells of Surbiton were major accordion dealers for many years, who probably sold more Hohners than any other make. But they also sold a lot of Italian piano accordions, and Sonola featured prominently in their Italian accordion catalogues, along with such makes as Galanti, Excelsior, Settimio Soprani, Scandalli and Giulietti.

However my Bell's catalogues list only Paolo Soprani's button accordions (my main interest in them, as they were such major sellers), but not their piano ones.

geoff45789
Superstar
Superstar

Post by geoff45789 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Many thanks for all the replies - I have now found pictures of Vermonas with this badge. And nice to get confirmation of the Sonola which I'm very pleased with

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm

geoff45789 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm
... I have now found pictures of Vermonas with this badge.
And here's a link to a Galotta Caprice 80 Bass Accordion with the same emblem on a black badge. It's otherwise the same as a Weltmeister Caprice.

triskel
Novice
Novice

Post by triskel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm

triskel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm
geoff45789 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm
... I have now found pictures of Vermonas with this badge.
And here's a link to a Galotta Caprice 80 Bass Accordion with the same emblem on a black badge. It's otherwise the same as a Weltmeister Caprice.
Mind you, here's a Weltmeister Caprice with the same black-background version of that badge: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piano-accord ... SwfJJZYdkd

So maybe VEB Klingenthaler Harmonikawerke weren't so fussy about exactly what they put them onto... :roll: