The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

How do they do that?

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Re: How do they do that?

Post by JeffJetton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm

I'll just add that the best way to play things quickly is to practice them slowly.

So yes, if you want to be able to play that flashy passage, you do have to practice it.

A lot.

But don't think that you have to always practice it at the "final speed". In fact, you should start practicing it much, much slower. So slow that you have to use a metronome to rein you in.

Only increase the tempo once slower tempos are mastered. If you can't execute the passage cleanly and accurately at a very slow tempo, what hope do you have of playing it at the desired tempo without it sounding like a mess?

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 am

Absolutely agree! As Jeff has said, practice a tune slowly and then gradually speed it up to performance speed.

I would add that if on speeding it up 'a step' and it goes wrong , go back to the slower speed and practice some more before attempting an increase again.

Practicing slowly slowly effectively 'hard wires' the brain to activate the fingers onto the appropriate keys/buttons without conscious thought being required.

When playing at normal speed for an individual tune there is not sufficient time to 'think' or visualise which button/key comes next or to even visualise the keyboard- hence looking at the keyboard whilst practicing (or playing) can and usually does have a detrimental effect that builds up into a dependency and effectively 'buggers up' the essential 'hard wiring' between the brain and the fingers!!!

george

acordiansam
Star
Star

Post by acordiansam » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:52 pm

I went to an accordion clinic that Tony Lovello taught. He took a sheet and put it over the keyboard side and had people call out cords. Then he played them perfect right through the sheet. Then he grabbed sum one else's box and did the same thing. That did not fit in the same place on him. Just takes practice. When I stopped looking at the keys. My playing took a big step forward. Well worth the time!

bocsa
Star
Star

Post by bocsa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 pm

A constant that applies to learning a tune on most if not all instruments:

"If you can't play it slow you sure as L can't play it fast"

but we still try none-the-less :b :hb
Last edited by bocsa on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy girl
Expert
Expert

Post by Happy girl » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:45 pm

george garside wrote: looking at the keyboard whilst practicing (or playing) can and usually does have a detrimental effect that builds up into a dependency and effectively 'buggers up' the essential 'hard wiring' between the brain and the fingers!!!

Message understood... my accordion now sports very trendy blinkers!!!
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Interesting, and likely works better than what I wet through... which was usually a smack to the back of the head anytime I looked down... lol
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:09 pm

george garside wrote: Practicing slowly slowly effectively 'hard wires' the brain to activate the fingers onto the appropriate keys/buttons without conscious thought being required.
Right. Practicing quickly "hardwires" the brain too, but not necessarily in the way you want.

If you practice enough, at any speed, neural pathways will get strengthened, just as sure as if you cross a field enough, a path of some sort will get made. If you run across that field each time, sometimes you'll veer a bit one way, sometimes another--the path will be jagged, with several "missed spots". And it will take you longer to finally tamp down any sort of decent path.

But if you walk across that field very slowly, deliberately, and accurately each time, your path will be straighter, narrower, and more quickly well-worn. Then, when it comes time to run across the field, you'll be able to zip along with little trouble.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Happy girl wrote:george garside wrote: looking at the keyboard whilst practicing (or playing) can and usually does have a detrimental effect that builds up into a dependency and effectively 'buggers up' the essential 'hard wiring' between the brain and the fingers!!!

Message understood... my accordion now sports very trendy blinkers!!!
:tup: :)

george

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:19 pm

And you need to get the fingering and bellows changes sorted asap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto, scandalli super vi