Not totally new to accordion...considering CBA

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
Acon
Improver
Improver

Re: Not totally new to accordion...considering CBA

Post by Acon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 am

Hi maugein96,

I didn't know Anzaghi's opinion on French musette music and instruments. Why did he think like that? I don't even know his method is classical-oriented. Actually I haven't finished this book to any degree. I stopped studying this book because of its lack of free bass knowledge.

But I'd checked some music pieces in this book. Their names didn't look classical at all to me, and without any instruction of the free bass system I wouldn't have any thought that this was a classical-oriented book.

So all put together, I thought this book is designed for French musette style playing, though I did knew Anzaghi is Italian (so I guess that's because my lack of common sense in different musical/national cultures :oops: ).

Anyway it's a bit strange if his method is designed for classical and against musette, my teachers in Taiwan should have known that (they recommended this book for me and taught me the C scale fingering in this book), but in fact they don't play classical music but lots of musette and jazz. Funny right? So maybe it doesn't matter which fingering style you've learned. You can play any music genre once you've mastered it.

To mitchnc, I am just a beginner so I can't guarantee anything, but I think both PA/CBA players can handle this song very well when they get to a mediate level.

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 am

Acon,

Anzaghi's book teaches popular Italian tunes as you have discovered, but he openly states in the method book that he does not like musette tuned accordions. He says he prefers straight tuning, which has a nicer sound. With experience I have formed exactly the same opinion. However, at the time I bought his book I played a musette tuned accordion, as that was my preference. I later went on to read more about him, and that was where I believe I discovered the bit about classical music. His method is fine for all types of music, but I just didn't find the fingering patterns were the best option for the French musette music that I was learning. I also took exception to his comment about musette tuned accordions (again at that time). Maybe I was stupid to think that way, but that's the way it was. In another forum post I said I didn't recommend his method book, but that was based on the fact that it hadn't been specifically compiled for CBA. (Why not get a book that is dedicated to the instrument of your choice, as there are quite a few available?) Thousands of accordionists who have used his method to learn CBA will probably take issue with my thinking, and that is fair enough.

Mitch,

Tune is so famous I cannot remember it's name, but it is being played on CBA, despite the caption of the guy with PA. Some PA players can get pretty near sounding like CBA, but you're right, there is actually no real substitute. Mind you, only accordionists are usually able to discern what type of instrument is being played. Most audiences these days wouldn't know if the music was being played on a street barrel organ, and probably couldn't care less.

The only thing I would say is that the two keyboards are pretty much interchangeable until you start approaching the level of the CBA player in the clip. That's where the difference becomes noticeable, and is possibly the reason why some PA players opt to change to CBA. Believe it or not at one stage I considered learning PA due to the scarcity of suitable CBAs in the UK. Various forum members persuaded me against it and I'm glad they did.

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:18 pm

losthobos wrote:When going through Sixt's lessons be careful not to miss No 10...it' the best one for me and I nearly missed a youtube offered me 10bis in it place...
"Attention to the feathers at the top of his division."
"again before the not runs from Friday as a lookalike"

Why did I never see the auto-translate option before? It's fun.

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Acon,

I don't think you got a reply about where to find Sixt's lessons.
His YouTube channel is:
https://www.youtube.com/user/yvesmusette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search within it for "Lesson" and they'll come up.

Acon
Improver
Improver

Post by Acon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:20 pm

mitchnc wrote:Acon,

I don't think you got a reply about where to find Sixt's lessons.
His YouTube channel is:
https://www.youtube.com/user/yvesmusette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search within it for "Lesson" and they'll come up.
Thanks mitchnc! Now I can see them! :)

dunlustin
Superstar
Superstar

Post by dunlustin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:46 am

I like the fact that he is not prescriptive, saying 'This is what I do but you may find other more comfortable solutions.'
And how nice that he found the time/had the inclination to share his knowledge!

Seisiuneer
Improver
Improver

Post by Seisiuneer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Regarding CBA simulators, I have developed a series of iOS apps for CBA that do both C and B system:

Hohner Chromatic SqueezeBox:
http://www.tradlessons.com/HohnerChroma ... zeBox.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for those looking for a MIDI controller:

Hohner MIDI Chromatic Accordion
http://www.tradlessons.com/HohnerMIDICh ... rdion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also a couple of simple treble side only apps for the iPhone:

C-System Tutor:
http://www.tradlessons.com/CSystemTutor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B-System Tutor:
http://www.tradlessons.com/BSystemTutor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Michael

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Seisiuneer wrote:Regarding CBA simulators, I have developed a series of iOS apps for CBA that do both C and B system:

Any plans to make these for Android?

Seisiuneer
Improver
Improver

Post by Seisiuneer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Not at this time.

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I have the green light to order the Roland FR-1xb tomorrow!
So now I just need some more resources for learning. It looks like the Galliano book is going to cost me $50+ USD.

I'm hoping that by the time I get the instrument I'll have enough resources to get started right away.