Very basic CBA fingering question

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
Acon
Improver
Improver

Re: Very basic CBA fingering question

Post by Acon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:26 am

Giving mitchnc's example (G-F E, F-E-D, C), I'll use exactly the same fingering options as Paul's. His thinking is completely the same as mine (and I got a useless little finger too ;) ). I almost use my thumb on C note every time if it's a C key. When playing a harder piece I always try to think about the chord patterns/progression first to "design" the best fingering for me. I found myself often using the thumb to hit the 2nd and 3rd row with the alternative rows (4th/5th) for forming a same chord fingering pattern as those starting from the 1st one. Of course I am no expert but just found this the most comfortable way for my level.

Just tried to record this piece yesterday. Again I'm not a pro and I don't have any teacher so it's just for explaining my idea: using my thumb on every row (well...maybe not the 4th/5th. Doesn't make any sense for me to do that).
https://youtu.be/A3Uivk1uSJg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'm sorry Paul, I looked down at my keyboard one time. :roll: ok maybe two times. :lol:

And sorry for my poker face too.

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm

What an alien instrument!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jube6BvQaW4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't believe I'm going to attempt to learn it. :)
If Roland ever decides to ship one.

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Acon wrote:...
Just tried to record this piece yesterday. Again I'm not a pro and I don't have any teacher so it's just for explaining my idea: using my thumb on every row (well...maybe not the 4th/5th. Doesn't make any sense for me to do that).

And I'm sorry Paul, I looked down at my keyboard one time. :roll: ok maybe two times. :lol:

Very well done. It is impressive what you manage to get out of that small Pigini, and how well you master this difficult piece. OK, yes, you did look down at the keyboard (3 times I believe) and I think that was in fact not even needed. What I do when I'm not entirely sure that I'm on the right notes is feel for the C and F keys that are textured. It's like "looking with your fingers".
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Morne
Expert
Expert

Post by Morne » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 pm

I agree, that's very well done. Doing it without a teacher makes it even more impressive. The only thing that piece maybe needs is a set of bayan reeds :D .

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Morne wrote:I agree, that's very well done. Doing it without a teacher makes it even more impressive. The only thing that piece maybe needs is a set of bayan reeds :D .
Actually, good accordion reeds, in a bigger box with cassotto, would do fine. The main problem when trying such a piece on a small study accordion is that people try to make the instrument do things it simply can't. The performance is great, and doing it without a teacher makes it more impressive indeed, but you can hear that the accordion just cannot keep up.

Acon
Improver
Improver

Post by Acon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:32 am

Good suggestion! I've ordered an PIGINI Master 58/B de luxe!! {}

Will get it in the middle of this year! :roll:

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:19 am

Acon wrote:Good suggestion! I've ordered an PIGINI Master 58/B de luxe!! {}

Will get it in the middle of this year! :roll:
That is good news for you!
Looking at the Pigini site there is a "Master 58/B" and there is a "Bayan 58/B de Luxe but no "Master 58/B de Luxe".
So what is it you are getting? (I would not be surprised if you got something they do not advertise. We have ordered instruments from Bugari that officially did not exist either.) The Master 58/B has 58 notes and the Bayan 58/B de Luxe has 64 notes despite the 58 in the name (unless that is an error, wouldn't be the first time. The bass range is also off by one).
I have a Bugari 540/ARS/C which is the equivalent of the Pigini Super Compact (52 notes, cassotto) and and that is a formidable small thing with sound like the big ones, very impressive. These are so similar I would not be surprised if they either just copied from each other or if one just outsourced to the other. The grille is different and the markings on the bass registers but otherwise absolutely identical. (I have actually tried the Pigini Super Compact briefly at the Frankfurter Musikmesse to confirm they are identical.) Likewise I confirmed that the Pigini Master 58/B and the Bugari 580/ARS/C are virtually identical except for the bass registers (and the Bugari having 61 notes now, where it used to have 58 until recently). Nobody is original any more...

Acon
Improver
Improver

Post by Acon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 am

Paul,

There is a PIGINI Master 58/B de luxe (I usually don't make mistakes in the model names or the specification of products I'm interested, especially a very expensive music instrument that I will play for the next decade ;) ).

PIGINI doesn't list it on their website but it has existed at least few years. I got their 2015 and 2016 complete product lists from my Taiwanese reseller (also my previous teacher and my future business partner) and this model was already listed on both of them.

The only difference between de luxe version and the normal version is the former has hand-made reeds.

This Master 58/B de luxe is actually the top studio model of PIGINI converter series. From the next one starts the concert models (all the way to the most expensive one "Nòva"):

Bayan 58/B De Luxe
Bayan 58/B PLUS
Super Bayan Sirius Piano
Sirius Compact
Super Bayan Sirius
Sirius Millennium
Nòva Piano
Nòva

All concert models have hand-made reeds, and the ones with "Piano" on their name are PA, not CBA.

I was making a decision between the Sirius Compact and the Master 58/B de luxe but the former is too expensive and need to wait for 10 months' production, just too long for me.

And the grille is actually customizable when you place the order to PIGINI so it doesn't mean anything when you try to compare different products. :)

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:51 am

Acon wrote:Paul,

There is a PIGINI Master 58/B de luxe (I usually don't make mistakes in the model names or the specification of products I'm interested, especially a very expensive music instrument that I will play for the next decade ;) ).

PIGINI doesn't list it on their website but it has existed at least few years. I got their 2015 and 2016 complete product lists from my Taiwanese reseller (also my previous teacher and my future business partner) and this model was already listed on both of them.
Hah! So my guess was right that they do make instruments that are not in their public list. Just like what Bugari does. We bought a Bugari 289/ARS/C5 PA which hasn't been on their list for at least 10 years, but it appears to have returned to the list now.
Acon wrote: The only difference between de luxe version and the normal version is the former has hand-made reeds.

This Master 58/B de luxe is actually the top studio model of PIGINI converter series. From the next one starts the concert models (all the way to the most expensive one "Nòva"):
I was making a decision between the Sirius Compact and the Master 58/B de luxe but the former is too expensive and need to wait for 10 months' production, just too long for me.

And the grille is actually customizable when you place the order to PIGINI so it doesn't mean anything when you try to compare different products. :)
Yeah, decisions, decisions...

I guess the Master 58/B (de luxe or not) is a good compromise between size, weight, capabilities, price and waiting time. Actually, waiting for 10 months isn't all that exceptional with anything that is not really completely off the shelf. (With the Master 58/B the only thing you get to choose besides the grille is the chin switches and whether you want bellows straps or not...)
Last edited by debra on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Acon wrote:Just tried to record this piece yesterday. Again I'm not a pro and I don't have any teacher so it's just for explaining my idea: using my thumb on every row (well...maybe not the 4th/5th. Doesn't make any sense for me to do that).

You've been playing CBA for how long, about 18 months?
I'm very impressed, there must have been quite some focus there.
Are you a pianist as well?

All else is forgiven I think! :D
Tom