The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

CBA major scale fingering

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Re: CBA major scale fingering

Post by mitchnc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks, Dan...I'm working on that rotation.

George...thanks. Those videos are amazing. Pretty cool that there are videos from his childhood on up to recent.

Acon...you DO love that thumb!
It just occurred to me last night that I need to learn different scale patterns for rows 2 and 3.
I think I'm making good progress for just a few days, but the side of my thumb is pretty raw. I've been practicing about 5 hours/day.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm certainly not criticising Acon's fingering (wouldn't want to, and wouldn't dare to given the video he posted a little while back!) but I'm wary of getting to rely on the thumb too much on the outer row, and try to make sure that other fingers share the load.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

I would argue that it is beneficial to use the thumb fairly frequently so as to keep it 'in training' rather than limiting it to just occasional or none usage. For what its worth the thumb is has a much better sideways range of movement than any of the fingers anad there are occasions when that can be very handy.

george

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 am

george garside wrote:I would argue that it is beneficial to use the thumb fairly frequently so as to keep it 'in training' rather than limiting it to just occasional or none usage. For what its worth the thumb is has a much better sideways range of movement than any of the fingers anad there are occasions when that can be very handy.

george
Can't disagree with that George!
There's also the factor that those who've grown up with smartphones and game controllers may have the most agile thumbs in human history - "homo pollex agilus!" or something! :D

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

For the Row 3 major scale Galliano's book uses 3-2-3-4. It feels weird. I came up with something else but it was just last night and I need to be on the instrument to remember.
I think I'm doing 2-3-4-1. I'm finding out that my thumb is only comfortable on the 1st row.

I was curious if it's common to play multiple buttons with one finger.
For example:

For the first chord I'm using 5-3-1 then moving to 4-3-2 (retaining the thumb on C) for the next chord. But for the G7 I'm removing my thumb from C and using my index finger to mash the B and D at the same time. There are several places in the piece where it just seems easier and more logical for me to do it this way.

Also, any suggestions on how to glissando to the C major chord as shown? I don't know what I'm supposed to do there.