Exclusivity.

Talk about anything accordion related here
Anyanka
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Exclusivity.

Post by Anyanka » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am

The accordion is also still used a lot on soundtracks - we watch the 'First Dates' reality show, and it frequently features squeezebox, or something made to sound like it (you never know). Any time a documentary - art or history - moves to a French scene, there's also accordion in the background!

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:34 pm

I started discovering the accordion and the vastness of this instrument when I saw an accordionist on Italia's Got Talent, which played Vivaldi's Estate. I totally felt in love with this instrument. Before that, I knew very little about the accordion.
When I told my parents and other persons that I wanted to play the accordion, the majority of them was confused, shocked; confirming that a great instrument like the accordion is, unfortunately, so underestimated. They thought I only wanted to play liscio, popular music, ignoring that with an accordion I can play a lot of other genres. Also, often they immediately associate the word "accordion" with the mendicants on the street.
Well, by playing it I will try to spread a bit more, at least in my italian surroundings, the value of this instrument. I will change this idea they have. The accordion must be knowed in all its beauty, in all its incredible expressiveness.

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Yes, I don't think many of us consider street mendicant as the focus of our accordion playing. But it doesn't hurt to have that to fall back on, I guess!

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Kirsten,

You certainly do hear the occasional refrain of an accordion on TV, but I wonder how many people would recognise it as such.

Arianna,

It is pleasing to know that you will be promoting the accordion in Italy. We must all try to do the same.

Kind Regards, Kirsten & Arianna,

Stephen.

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Donn, what does the expression "to have that to fall back on" mean? I think it's a difficult expression, and I can't even find it on the web.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Hyacinthedera wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm
Donn, what does the expression "to have that to fall back on" mean? I think it's a difficult expression, and I can't even find it on the web.
It means we can use it in place of something else. For example, I can say something like "though I am an architect, my current career is making money as a musician and if this does not work, it is good to know that I can FALL BACK ON my experience as an architect..."

So in this example, currently someone is making money as a musician and if that does not work, they can find work as an architect.

Does that make sense?
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Yes, now it's clear, thank you!

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Google translate renders that as riprendere - does that convey the same sense?

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Not really; it's quite inaccurate.

Pipemajor
Improver
Improver

Post by Pipemajor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

JerryPH wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm
You know, man is an amazing animal in that they can take ANY instrument and make beautiful music from it.

In 2009 I was in Florida's Disneyworld where at the Canadian pavilion they had a group that played drums, guitar, bass guitar, keyboard and the lead musician was man with bagpipes. Now, I was not a fan of the bagpipes, but they were SO GOOD that stayed for the entire set and loved it. At the end, I was a fan of the bagpipes, and even more, I was a fan of the band. All band members wore kilts and their name was "Off Kilter"... lol Oh and yeah, they played rock music and were GREAT.

Dang, I found a video from them! I hope no one minds if I share?

In this case, the exclusivity is not so much that as it is being a part of a minority. The accordion was popular once, but no longer is. Playing music as we seem to identify it here looks like it is going down that same road of exclusivity. I recently sold my 16 channel analog mixer to a young man that identified himself as a musician. He never studied music, could not read music, never play ANY instrument, but downloads sound clips from the internet, spends HOURS on the computer and runs them through the mixer out to an amp.

For some strange reason, he felt confident in calling himself a musician! :hb

Music itself is evolving in to what I like to call "the Apple culture". That is where instant gratification with minimal involvement or knowledge needed to accomplish a goal is prevalent. If that is what our future holds, I am happy that I will die one of those dinosaurs that could actually READ music and PLAY a real instrument and that it took me years of practice and dedication to make my music with. :)
Can't say I was overly impressed with the piping. He played the same 8 bars three times and that was it. Perhaps it was better live. Now to see great rock piping You Tube " the red hot chilli pipers" and see the difference!!