Six Of The Best.

Talk about anything accordion related here
Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Six Of The Best.

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Tony,

Can't say I know it, but that is all part of this "getting to know you" exercise.

Thanks to the members who have contributed to this thread, I now have some sense of their likes and dislikes. All the contributions have been interesting and informative, and have provided an insight into musical tastes which goes beyond what is normally available.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

rancoman
Improver
Improver

Post by rancoman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am

StargazerTony wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 pm
Not sure I have a six pack of songs, yet. I must discount the ones my teacher has me endlessly practice although Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes is a rather nice English song I enjoy playing. I tend to get into a rut and play say waltzes or polkas, or tangos endlessly until my wife gives me "the look", then I move on. The titles of songs that several have posted seem interesting and was wondering if some could upload the song to the "I Like That!" section or their YouTube channel?

I just noticed that! Brilliant idea, and a good challenge for a bit of fun among forum members as well.

It doesn't matter how good any of us are at playing, it's the spirit of the thing. I accept the challenge and I'll try to get something on as soon as I can work out an easy way to do it. Of course I'll pick the easiest one!

Expect a low standard, so you won't be disappointed! :b

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Perhaps those of us struggling to choose a favourite ' six' would find it easier if we are allowed ,so to speak, to select groups of 6 loosely related tunes. maybe by purpose/function, rhythm, time signature, nationality etc etc.

To start the ball rolling I will assume that permission has been granted by somebody or nobody whoever they may be!

My favourite 'marches' which can of course be played at a speed to suite dancing eg as in English Ceilidh, barndancce or whatever, for processing, or just for listening to.

Tiperary
pack up your troubles,
79ths farewell to gibralter
dovecote park
happy wanderer
cock of the north
british grenadiers

bugger! I could easily add another half dozen! maybe waltzes next time or perhaps slow aires or ??

george

JeffJetton
Star
Star

Post by JeffJetton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm

StargazerTony wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 am
How about La valse d'Amélie
A modern classic, IMHO. Good call!

In fact, it inspired me to write my own composition! It's basically a pastiche of the "Amelie" waltz, but was specifically written to not have any leaps in the left hand. All the chord movement is either "one floor up" or "one floor down".

I use it as an etude for my students, to give them a more gentle introduction to minor chords than the Palmer-Hughes books do. i initially wanted to use the real "Amelie" waltz for that purpose, but the A-minor to F-major leap can be tricky for a beginner.

JeffJetton
Star
Star

Post by JeffJetton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

george garside wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm
My favourite 'marches'
Wasn't that an old TV show starring Ray Walston? :D

A lot of the marches I like tend to be Viennese. Perhaps because Vienna is one of my all-time favorite cities, and playing these lets me take a quick musical vacation there...

StargazerTony
Novice
Novice

Post by StargazerTony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 pm

JeffJetton wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm
!

In fact, it inspired me to write my own composition! It's basically a pastiche of the "Amelie" waltz, but was specifically written to not have any leaps in the left hand. All the chord movement is either "one floor up" or "one floor down".

I use it as an etude for my students, to give them a more gentle introduction to minor chords than the Palmer-Hughes books do. i initially wanted to use the lreal "Amelie" waltz for that purpose, but the A-minor to F-major leap can be tricky for a beginner.
Hi Jeff. Interesting. In my second month of instruction, my teacher gave me a song that had jumps from F to Abm to Gm in three measures. They were ugly at first. I took on "Amelie" on my own and am still working on the interludes
Cordially, Tony
Artisto, Italian, LMM, 41/120

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

This is an interesting thread, especially because when I try to think of six of the best (not necessarily the top 6 but 6 good ones) there isn't much overlap between my list and that of others.
Here are 6 good ones for me, in no particular order.
I am only listing music that I played, mostly together with others.
The Old Lithuanian Gramophone Record by Viktor Novikov:

Violin-duo Concerto by Bach, second movement:

Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo:

Gabriel's Oboe by Ennio Morricone:

"Turks Fruit" (actually two songs from the movie) by Rogier van Otterloo, for accordion solo:

Bluesette by Toots Thielemans:
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Wonderful responses from all ......... I am truly impressed by the rich diversity of tunes you have offered up, and can't wait to read additions to your lists.

I currently enjoy playing a medley, the constituent tunes of which are "Mull of Kintyre" & "Wild Mountain Thyme." It feels especially appropriate when we are out in the countryside.(which is most days) As I have both tunes absolutely nailed, and need no musical notation, I am able to seamlessly switch from one tune to the other.

Anyone else dabble in medleys?

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

wirralaccordion
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by wirralaccordion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Yes, as an example I play the first part of Milord and it leads very naturally into He holds the whole world in His hands ( both in D ).
Also, some tunes are almost identical and without words you wouldn't be able to identify them apart.
Incidentally I noticed a question on Edith Pfaf/La vie en rose on Pointless today. ( This is quite a popular tea time show here in the UK ).

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi George,

Please feel free to post whatever you like. My only reason for suggesting a limit was in order that those reading contributions could easily assimilate the information. It was meant to be more of a "snapshot" than anything more complex.

I also found it difficult to prune my playlist down to a mere six tunes, so I did expand my list in a subsequent post. Please do post more of your favourites, and categorise them as you see fit.

All the contributions have been fascinating to read, and I am really looking forward to reading many more.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.