Could smoking affect your reeds?

Talk about anything accordion related here
jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Could smoking affect your reeds?

Post by jozz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Ok, so I will be rehearsing with guys who tend to smoke a lot during rehearsal.

While I don't mind that personally, live and let live (die) etc., I was wondering how bad this is for my reeds, leathers etc. in the long term.

StargazerTony
Expert
Expert

Re: Could smoking affect your reeds?

Post by StargazerTony » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Well, he last time I smoked was December 31, 1978 so it's been a short period of time. I do think, however that smoke contains particles in it and when blown through an accordion, some of them will stick to the inside surfaces. That can't be good.
Cordially, Tony
Artisto, Italian, LMM, 41/120, PA
Warning: Only speaks/understands American English

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

affects my perception....
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Jozz,

I have a friend whose father used to play pro accordion in the Lipton's tea houses in London way back before WW2. In those days just about everybody in the UK smoked, and the venues were thick with cigarette smoke. Apparently the nicotine clogged the reeds up to the point where he had to learn some tunes in different keys, before the accordion was finally trashed, on the basis that the whole inside would have been stained brown.

I used to work as a bus conductor in the days when smoking was permitted on the upper deck of UK buses. I had reddish blond hair at the time, but often went home with a brown streak on the top of my head (in the days when I had hair on it).

I have an old Cavagnolo that was owned by a smoker and it reeked of nicotine when I got it. It had been refurbished by the dealer who sold it to me, but the smell took a long time to go away. I used to smoke a pipe otherwise I don't think I could have coped with the smell of nicotine. It also appears to me that the reeds are a bit on the "dull" side, probably on account of damage to them by the player smoking whilst playing it. Johnny Meijer used to smoke big cigars when playing and would often burn the lacquer off the top of the accordion body and bellows with the ash that fell off in mid tune.

When I played the trumpet an old teacher we had used to "clean" his cornet by blowing cigarette smoke through it!

Attitudes to smoking may have changed, but nicotine will definitely harm an accordion if it is constantly subjected to exposure to it, the same as it would have 100 years ago.

StargazerTony
Expert
Expert

Post by StargazerTony » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:19 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Jozz,

I used to work as a bus conductor in the days when smoking was permitted on the upper deck of UK buses. I had reddish blond hair at the time, but often went home with a brown streak on the top of my head (in the days when I had hair on it).

After getting home, did your wife ever ask "where in the world have you put your head?"
Cordially, Tony

debra

Post by debra » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm

The old repairman who taught me the first basics told me of professional players (in the period of 30 to 60 years ago) who needed to have their accordion cleaned thoroughly once a year. That included removing all the reed plates and soaking them overnight in naphtha before a thorough cleaning, rewax, revalve...
Of course when you play in public places a lot now (with smoking prohibited) and only a bit at home while smoking it won't be that bad. Your lungs will most likely be affected more severely than your accordion.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 pm

StargazerTony wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:19 pm
maugein96 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Jozz,

After getting home, did your wife ever ask "where in the world have you put your head?"
Tony,

I was single at that time, and it was my mother who noticed the marks on the pillows. One night she saw the mark on my head and ralised what it was. In older days they wore caps, but they were "uncool" in my day. I was tall enough for my head to brush against the upper deck ceiling. The problem went away when I became a driver, and conductors were finally consigned to the history books in the UK some time later (probably after a few were murdered by their wives when they couldn't explain themselves!).

Thomas N
Improver
Improver

Post by Thomas N » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm from California. What is smoking?

:D
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds

Dingo40
Improver
Improver

Post by Dingo40 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 pm

When I purchased my Bussillachio “Challenge” at a garage sale for $20Aust., it stank of cigarette smoke and the bass-board had a large yellow nicotine stain to it😀!
The smell cleared up after about a year or more of airing and some Pepsident (“I wonder where the yellow went...”) toothpaste on a rag cleaned up the nicotine stains.
After considerable repairs and a new (secondhand “ Baillie”) storage case for it, it is practically my favourite go-to accordion!
I don’t know about damage to reeds -it never occurred to me, and no repairman has ever mentioned anything about it- but one things for sure: it was never bothered by moths!😄

StargazerTony
Expert
Expert

Post by StargazerTony » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Thomas N wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm
I'm from California. What is smoking?

:D
It's when you stick a piece of paper in your mouth and light it on fire🔥
Cordially, Tony

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 pm

I started smoking when it was universally popular. It was common practice to offer a girl a cigarette to break the ice, and the majority of girls would accept. (well, at least a cigarette)

Things have changed, however, as smokers are now social pariahs. I still smoke, but I can't smoke and play the accordion at the same time. Come to think of it, I can't drink and play the accordion at the same time, either.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Well ive had a smokers accordion and indeed had residue (mostly on the grillcloths). Im a smoker myself but i wouldnt smoke in the same room even if i smoked inside because i would be afraid to damage it! Then again ive played in a smoke bar some times and i wouldnt worry bout once or twice.

AccordionUprising
Expert
Expert

Post by AccordionUprising » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:35 pm

This came up as a tangent here about a year ago: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5168&p=51875&hilit= ... ubs#p51875

I mentioned the Scottish study that investigated the dangers of second-hand smoke by comparing the insides of accordions before and after the smoking-ban in pubs. Accordions helping save lives!

"Banning smoking: confessions of an accordion cleaner. Changes in exposure of adult non-smokers to secondhand smoke after implementation of smoke-free legislation in Scotland: national cross sectional survey. [BMJ. 2007]"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5168&p=51875&hilit= ... ubs#p51875
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Noir Radio
Vancouver, BC, Canada

StargazerTony
Expert
Expert

Post by StargazerTony » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 pm

Things have changed, however, as smokers are now social pariahs. I still smoke, but I can't smoke and play the accordion at the same time. Come to think of it, I can't drink and play the accordion at the same time, either.
I can't do many things while playing the accordion. Near the end of a long set I sometimes jump around a bit. People think it's part of the act, however, it's my way of waiting for the restroom.
Cordially, Tony

Thomas N
Improver
Improver

Post by Thomas N » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 am

https://goo.gl/images/njHhdd

Somebody needs to open up one of Johnny's accordions and see what it looks like!
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:09 am

I don't let my reeds smoke. It's not legal in my state either.

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Tony,

Most gentlemen of a certain age will be aware of the compelling need for bathroom breaks. I tend not to jig about at such times, and the only external sign is when my eyes are crossed. The relief of a "visit" soon uncrosses them, making it much easier to play the accordion.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

StargazerTony
Expert
Expert

Post by StargazerTony » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Stephen,

Glad that works for you, however crossing my legs works a bit better for me.
Cordially, Tony

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Thomas N wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 am
https://goo.gl/images/njHhdd

Somebody needs to open up one of Johnny's accordions and see what it looks like!
When he died he only had one accordion, a B system Accordiola, and his son stole it for drugs money, along with the whip round the neighbours collected for Johnny's burial. The accordion was recovered and is still on the go in The Netherlands, probably with cleaned up and re-waxed reeds. The whip round money apparently "turned up" later, but rumour had it that it came from fellow musicians and not Johnny's son. There were several articles in the Dutch media about the incident, but it was quite a while ago now. He died a poor man, and took his talent with him.

JeffJetton
Superstar
Superstar

Post by JeffJetton » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm

debra wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Your lungs will most likely be affected more severely than your accordion.
This would be my main concern as well.

You can always replace an accordion. Lungs are much trickier to swap-out.