DA Tuner ruined - alternatives?

Talk about anything accordion related here
TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

DA Tuner ruined - alternatives?

Post by TomBR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 am

I really like, (liked!) this app, a very good little tuner and I liked the strobe tuning function etc.

I paid for the full version which I have on an old phone, but wanted it on my current phone as well. I play fiddle so like to carry a tuner around, (as well as a tuning fork.)

Sadly Da Tuner seems to have been updated - it's now heavy on advertisements every time you open it, and the only paid option is a subscription of 89p a month.
OK developers deserve a fair return on their work, I'd be happy to pay a fair price, like the old version, but money every month - no way.

Negative reviews for both "Lite" (now ad heavy) and "Pro" versions are piling up on the Play Store page.

I've uninstalled it.

Any recommendations for a good alternative?
Cheers
Tom

Geoff de Limousin
Star
Star

Re: DA Tuner ruined - alternatives?

Post by Geoff de Limousin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Most fiddlers I come across now use one of those tiny clip-on tuners.... cheap enough too. Not much use for tuning accordions though.

I've been using electronic tuners since 1976 and have a small collection of them, some more useful than others, and so far I have not gone down the 'install a programe on computer' route. My trusty Korg AT 12 has remained totally reliable for 35 years as a workshop tool...

Good luck finding a replacement.
Geoff.

Morne
Star
Star

Post by Morne » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm

I recommend Bill Farmer's Tuner. It's free and open source and unlikely to ever go the route of advertisement spam. There is no "Pro" version, so all the features are available all the time.

You can read an introduction here: https://github.com/billthefarmer/tuner/wiki
The Android app is not available in the Google App Store, but you can download it directly from here:
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.billthefarmer.tuner/

It supports a lot more features than I imagine you'd need for a fiddle, e.g. it can detect MM, octaves and chords.

I usually use the (Linux) PC version as I find it easier to have a spreadsheet with all the numbers open next to the tuner when doing a full retune. But the app version uses the same DSP algorithm to detect the notes, so there's no difference in accuracy.

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm

I use "Piano Tuner" on android for my stringed instruments. It's free and very precise. It does have small ads, but I can ignore them for the cost.

Good luck, the other Tom

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:31 pm

reason to disable automatic updating

Francisco SC
Novice
Novice

Post by Francisco SC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm using Bill Farmer's tuner too. Great and free. Very useful for accordion, as it can detect multiple notes.

Enviado desde mi SM-A310F mediante Tapatalk

debra

Post by debra » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm

A great shame indeed! I just discovered the new ad system which makes da tuner completely unusable. Incredibly large ads, that cannot be removed. What are they thinking? Are we going to pay for this? NO WAY.

There are still old versions downloadable from other sites: 3.81 and 3.86. Does anyone know how to "sideload" these?
I copied them to dropbox and then click on the apk there (which is something I have done a lot with student projects) but nothing gets installed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

debra

Post by debra » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 pm

TomBR wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 am
Sadly Da Tuner seems to have been updated - it's now heavy on advertisements every time you open it, and the only paid option is a subscription of 89p a month.
I have not been able to find pricing on the app at all. Where should I look?
I would not mind paying a little, ONCE, for what used to be a great app, but there is no option to install da tuner for a fee on Google play store...

A subscription... not going to happen!

debra

Update: how to install 3.81 again.

Post by debra » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm

You need to read up on how to sideload apps. It is different in Android 8 versus 7 and before.
For the moment you can still download version 3.81 from https://www.apkmonk.com/download-app/co ... 08-21.apk/ and I can attest that this version still works fine, at least for the moment.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am

debra wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 pm
In the store it says 1.09 - 2.09 euro optional and in the comments there is talk about it being per month

so I wouldn't bother with this app anymore, they are clearly pushing it away with this

debra

Post by debra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 am

jozz wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am
debra wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 pm
In the store it says 1.09 - 2.09 euro optional and in the comments there is talk about it being per month
Thanks for the info. I still don't see it in the store. In the app when you click on "remove ads" it gives a blurb about its features and *still* does not say what it will cost. This is very bad ethics. Even with a free trial they should make it clear what it is going to cost after the free trial, and make that clear before you start a free trial.

But luckily version 3.81 can still be found and installed so for now we are safe...