The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

Things you've found inside an accordion...

Talk about anything accordion related here
Morne
Expert
Expert

Things you've found inside an accordion...

Post by Morne » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Recently I had a stuck note on my old Morino which I do not recall being stuck before. So I opened it up and flicked the tongue. Inside the reed chamber I saw two yellow-white specks, which looked a little suspicious, stuck to a corner. Yesterday when opening up the bass panel I found this little guy (possibly related):
Morino Spider.jpg
Anyone got any stories about weird or interesting, unexpected things found inside an accordion?

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Things you've found inside an accordion...

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Morne,

I am not brave enough to open my boxes up. Or, perhaps I should say, I'm not confident that I wouldn't make it worse by fiddling around inside.

The nearest parallel I can offer involves a video recorder and my youngest daughter. It was nearly forty years ago that I purchased a front loading video recorder. When it stopped working properly, I took it to a repair shop. Later that day I returned to pick it up, and the repair man handed me a bag of low denomination coins.

It seems that my three year old daughter was using the VCR as a piggy-bank, and was delighted to have her small fortune returned to her. Later on, she stuck a hair brush into the aperture, the consequence of which was another visit to the repair shop.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:38 am

It looks a bit like mold spores to me. When removed, did they look fuzzy, powdery?
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am

Not a "thing" but when I was refurbishing an old Hohner Double Ray diatonic I found a name, an address in Donegal, and a date in 1958 pencilled inside. Nice to know that box had that bit of "Heritage" behind it, (particularly since I was mainly playing Irish music on it.)

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm

When I started working on a Hohner Gola a few years back, this was the inside of the bass compartment...
A previous repair job was at least partly done with Scotch tape to hold things together.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:07 pm

JerryPH wrote:It looks a bit like mold spores to me. When removed, did they look fuzzy, powdery?
I think you need your spectacles, Jerry - it's a spider isn't it?
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Morne, I think you've found a --
"Pholcus Phalangioides"
They tend to be found in accordions stored in cellars.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Morne
Expert
Expert

Post by Morne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Stephen Hawkins wrote: I am not brave enough to open my boxes up. Or, perhaps I should say, I'm not confident that I wouldn't make it worse by fiddling around inside.
When I opened my first box I was quite apprehensive. With all the things I've read online I was worried that even looking at the reeds in the wrong way would cause the world to end! But after sitting next to and watching a repairman working I am now much less concerned about having a peek and a poke - though there is still much for me to learn and practice.
JerryPH wrote:It looks a bit like mold spores to me. When removed, did they look fuzzy, powdery?
Like Soulsaver mentioned, the photo is of a spider and some webs. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the specks I removed were not powdery. In fact, I think they were pretty stuck to the wood. I had to use a screwdriver to get them off.
TomBR wrote:Not a "thing" but when I was refurbishing an old Hohner Double Ray diatonic I found a name, an address in Donegal, and a date in 1958 pencilled inside.
It would have been nice if I had a note like that in this 1953 Morino. I'm still intrigued as to who had such a high-end (for the time) accordion in South Africa.
debra wrote:A previous repair job was at least partly done with Scotch tape to hold things together.
Did that even work? I cannot imagine that tape stuck like that would have enough strength to hold those bits together. Or maybe there was still enough hold in some of the screws, so it was not that bad?
JIM D. wrote:Morne, I think you've found a --
"Pholcus Phalangioides"
They tend to be found in accordions stored in cellars.
I guess that's what was weird about finding a spider, since I actually play/make a noise on the accordion a few days a week. I haven't removed the bass plate in over half a year when we last worked on it, so I have no idea how long it's been in there. Must've been a dedicated one.

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Morne wrote:
debra wrote:A previous repair job was at least partly done with Scotch tape to hold things together.
Did that even work? I cannot imagine that tape stuck like that would have enough strength to hold those bits together. Or maybe there was still enough hold in some of the screws, so it was not that bad?
The tape must have been in there for many years. The last repairs were from around 2004 (damage after a flight) and I looked at the instrument in 2012.
The screws were not held in place very well (damage to the hole in the wood) so the main function of the tape was to prevent the screws from falling out. And it did that quite well for many years. There were more dodgy aspects to the 2004 repair, but this was the most striking one that was really out of place.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07 am

Soulsaver wrote:
I think you need your spectacles, Jerry - it's a spider isn't it?
You don't sound too sure yourself... lol

I haven't worked inside accordions much but Inside computers, I have found dead mice, a well sizzled snake of about 15 inches and one even with 20 or so cockroaches. Does that count? :lol:
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com