Ending with closed bellows

Talk about anything accordion related here
JackieC
Improver
Improver

Re: Ending with closed bellows

Post by JackieC » Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 am

Zevy wrote:
JackieC wrote: I always start with the bellows closed and end up with bellows closed.
Sometimes one must start with the bellows partially open in order to facilitate a long legato run soon after the first few measures. It's the same as string players would do with the bow.
For example, the beginning of "Silver Moon Waltz" of Frosini.
I am aware of the occasional need to start with the bellows slightly open, but I still end up with them closed. I don't seem to have any problems with bellows phrasing, such as running out of air before changing the bellows direction. I think when a good foundation is built with the repetition of learning correctly, then it all falls together nicely.
Petosa Cajun Special, Petosa Little Pro Xtreme, Titano Standard, Castiglione CBA-C, Roland FR-1X, Monterrey 30/48

Anyanka
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Anyanka » Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 am

Some of my favourite accordionists regularly finish with their bellows open. I don't think the closedness of the bellows affects the quality of performance in any way....

When playing for Morris, by the way, I almost always finish with the Amati's yellow bellows extended almost as far as I can reach!

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 am

the playing to closed or not seems to be very much a 'classical' -v- ''folk/trad jolly tunes'' divide and will probably always remain so. Each to his own etc!

george ;)

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am

Anyanka wrote:Some of my favourite accordionists regularly finish with their bellows open. I don't think the closedness of the bellows affects the quality of performance in any way....

When playing for Morris, by the way, I almost always finish with the Amati's yellow bellows extended almost as far as I can reach!
The "bellows closed" is not just aesthetically pleasing, it is also a sign "I'm done" to the public. There are occasions where the bellows "extended almost as far as I can reach" also works well as that "I'm done" sign. But with a heavier accordion it certainly isn't comfortable.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for your responses, I understand now. Bellows discipline is something I'm working on, I'm getting better but have a long way to go. cheers

Ebor Fiddler
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ebor Fiddler » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Well, have fun trying!

EMan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by EMan » Tue May 16, 2017 11:56 pm

I like the idea of being finished with closed bellows, but it just doesn't always work out that way. I feel that bellows control (not breaking notes, by changing bellows direction) is far more important, so as I get nearer the end of a piece, I very often need to decide if I'm going to end open or closed. That is also very often a function of determining how not to make a bellows change during a long run or a note held for a longer duration. Given the option at the end of a piece, if I find myself in a situation where I know I can't end closed, then so be it. I know that when I finish playing a solo tune, I always think to myself, well did I end up open or closed. but I also don't get too tied up about it. If I take my mind off the mechanics of the song to try to end up closed, sometimes I screw up the tune by making a mistake. Given the choice, I prefer the open bellows to the mistake.

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm

I did it !!! And just to prove that it wasn't a fluke, I did it again.

It meant changing bellows direction before it was strictly necessary, but I did end a couple of tunes with the bellows shut.

Will ending with closed bellows now be integral to my playing? Probably not, but at least I know I can do it if the need arises.

Zevy
Star
Star

Post by Zevy » Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 am

Stephen Hawkins wrote:I did it !!! And just to prove that it wasn't a fluke, I did it again.

It meant changing bellows direction before it was strictly necessary, but I did end a couple of tunes with the bellows shut.

Will ending with closed bellows now be integral to my playing? Probably not, but at least I know I can do it if the need arises.
BRAVO!!!
Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

Stephen Hawkins wrote:I did it !!! And just to prove that it wasn't a fluke, I did it again.

Great that it worked! When you keep it up it becomes part of the standard routine of playing. There really isn't much to it. It does not always work (depends on the "finale" and its potentially long notes) but it looks much nicer to the audience when it succeeds and it doesn't leave you with a bellows that still needs to be closed before moving on to the next piece.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl