Age - Aches & pains...

Talk about anything accordion related here
Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Age - Aches & pains...

Post by Soulsaver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 am

So, I'm not playing... & not practicing. :( Why?

Left shoulder pain, neck pain same side, pins & needles along left collar bone/nerve/muscle, numbness in same vacinity.. No trauma in the recent past. Been getting worse for weeks.
Doesn't really seem to interfere with playing... but after playing makes pain lot worse...

Physiotherapist.. he say NON, akkordeon.. "...roll on this rubber (Lacrosse) ball on floor.. behind left shoulder, work out knots & tension".

Two weeks later, little-to-no improvement: "Lean forward & press forehead on large exercise ball on wall, front, back both sides 10 seconds, 3 times each... 3 times per day... Use Lacrosse ball when you get pain... and you'll get pain after big ball exercise.." (I can hear guffawing at the back...)

Two more weeks & still have a problem. And leaning back on the big ball, it expands as I lean and as its rubbery skin expands it tries to pull my hair out! (I hear guffawing again..)

In midst of this I go 10 pin bowling ... thinking I'm using right hand only so no prob? Er, maybe not good idea. No ball available in my weight & thumb size, so I use heavier ball than usual with large holes and... sprain middle finger on right hand... Duh!

So duff left shoulder & duff right hand... 6 weeks off.

Maybe I get on with my o/s projects? I've got a nice red Atlantic needing pallets... below.
Last edited by Soulsaver on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Age - Aches & pains...

Post by Soulsaver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 am

IMG_20150915_152146.jpg
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 am

Time to change the Physiotherapist. :tdown:
Get a better 2nd opinion. :tup:
And fix the box for therapy. {}
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

debra

Post by debra » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am

Well... the size and weight of the Atlantic should not be the cause of the problem. It's not an accordion for heavyweight champions. You do not need a physiotherapist, but maybe a bit of rest and only light exercise, and a good look at the strap adjustment. When the straps are not perfectly adjusted playing the accordion can quickly become painful. The left shoulder is typically the first to suffer.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am

Bad luck. You are in the wars.
I think rest is your only option.
By the way, bowling is deadly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 am

For sure... rest and light to medium exertion levels of exercise over time are a better cure.

Ideas:
- Find a local place that does a gentle form of Yoga for light stretching and relaxation
- Find a local place that does deep muscle massage therapy.
- Walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day early in the morning
- many may laugh but a small increase in vitamins can also add to the help. A daily vitamin for people our age targets needs that most won't even think about.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 am

I agree totally about getting the strap adjustment right and would add that limiting bellows movement to between 6 and 12 inches would probably help to reduce pain in left shoulder.

A bandleader friend of mine ( 120 bass excelsior PA) with quite long bellows movement/range. I hadn't seen him for some time and spotted him from behind in a session - his bellows movement was no more than 6 - 10 inches and I thought he had seen the light and changed to a Shand Morino!. He hadn't and was still playing the excelsior pa but had changed his bellowing habits due to arthritic left shoulder. His playing was as good as ever , and he was very good, and he said that keeping the bellows tight just took a bit of practice to get the hang of.

george

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks, probably sound advice for other readers, so useful, but - I know where I get aches if I overdo the practice... so I don't. (& not doing any for now)... and I'm already economic with bellows movement, George.

Paul, my regular squeeze is a 96 bass Guerrini Oxford ...I don't play the Atlantic...'cos it's a project.. been waiting for pallets for ages. :).. but I take your point, but I never thought playing was the source of the problem anyhow.

I nor the therapist believes this is caused by accordion playing: I get shoulder JOINT pain from an old injury/calcification if I overdo it - so I know when to stop before I get that related twinge.

This sensation runs from behind left ear/bass of the skull, down neck, along muscle/nerve above & behind collar bone, terminates before shoulder joint. It's aggravated by the weight of the strap, which isn't much 'cos I play seated and the bottom of accordion is supported.

It started as just pins & needles months ago, then progressed with increasing bouts numbness, then mild pain, then significant pain.

The hard rubber ball on pressure points relieves the pain, but unfortunately, it does come back.. so a little helpful progress.

Doc says I need to give the Physio more time.

And thanks Jim, I'm taking that advice - I'm waiting a call back from a private physio for a 2nd opinion.

So, thanks for the input... but it's a painful mystery for now.

b]

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Can i politely ask what age range you are in, i am in the pensioner range and have similar problems, my physiotherapist gave me a piece of stretchy elastic to stretch, which has had little effect.
I am now trying pressups, kill or cure.
If you find anything that helps your playing please let me know.
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto,

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Colinm - I think press ups are a great idea and I'd thought of doing them too. Stretching and warming the muscles before and afterwards is important to avoid damage.
Last edited by Corsaire on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 pm

colinm wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm
Can i politely ask what age range you are in, i am in the pensioner range and have similar problems, my physiotherapist gave me a piece of stretchy elastic to stretch, which has had little effect.
I am now trying pressups, kill or cure.
If you find anything that helps your playing please let me know.
Hi Colin Of course.. SPA.. which is UK speak for state pension age, just. A young 65, normally.

Is it very similar symptoms Colin?

My GP took just seconds to decide to refer to physio on the description alone, so I assume she recognised the symptoms immediately as something she comes across with regularity. However without a name you can't research it per se.

I thought it would be prolapsed disc in neck vertebrae putting pressure on a nerve, as it is ok lying down - so I can sleep ok which is a blessing.
But when I'm up an hour or two it starts with the pins and builds to pain. Then it goes, and returns for no apparent reason later.

Pain killers either don't work or don't work very long for me.

Physio describes it as age related muscle deterioration, then a too long explanation about how it manifests in pain. I'm losing confidence though, hence looking for a private consultation for a second opinion.

I'll keep you posted.

b]

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 am

have you tried keeping the left arm against the side of your body and just using the elbow joint to move the bellows?

george

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:16 am

have you tried keeping the left arm against the side of your body and just using the elbow joint to move the bellows?

george

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 am

does not ache until I start playing, no pins and needles, had an ultrasound scan, said there were some nodules or something, physio said nodules were nothing, gave me rubber band and said keep playing, after 10 minutes it starts to ache. I think its age and wear related
cm
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto,

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 am

perhaps getting a 48 bass box for everyday use and keeping the big one for special occasions would help.

I am 75 and have arthritis in right shoulder and foot , although the latter is irelevent for box playing! I play my 4 voice 96 bass box regularly at home as I can stop when I have had enough but now use a much smaller box for band and session playing

Better to enjoy a small box than struggle with a big one!

george

rancoman
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by rancoman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

How come accordions sound better with age but accordionists deteriorate? :b

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 pm

No advice from me, just sympathy.

Geoff de Limousin
Star
Star

Post by Geoff de Limousin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

rancoman wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am
How come accordions sound better with age but accordionists deteriorate? :b
Are you suggesting older accordions sound better or they sound better to older ears , ie. slightly deaf ones ? :shock:

Regarding the use of smaller boxes for older players; I have difficulty finding a comfortable playing position with any of the smaller accordions I have tried. They tend to jiggle about during playing and the reduced crossection causes faster (and longer) bellows movement. I find the ideal size is when the top of the box comes almost to my shoulder level when I'm seated. Lifting the thing can be the problem though.
Last edited by Geoff de Limousin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 pm

I'll be revisiting my own thread about smaller lighter accordions then George... :)

Seeing new private Physio Tuesday for 2nd opinion, who thinks from telephone conversation description it's a trapped nerve.

Old Physio Friday for review.

Thanks for the suggestions (& sympathy) much appreciated, I'll keep you posted.

b]

Tony
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tony » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Soulsaver what you have described seems a bit like my problem, I have PMR [polymyalgia Reumatica]it gives the same
problem's as your saying you have I haven't been able to play accordion for three months due to pain in neck hands {pins and needles] it might be worth just getting a blood test to check if you have what is called a flare up. the only thing that
stops the pain is Prednisone. Hope this has been of some use for you.