My tuning bellows

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
James
Improver
Improver

My tuning bellows

Post by James » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 pm

This bellows has two outlets, each having a valve in it, so that one to pump air in and one to pump air out. I removed the valve from one of them, so that air goes in both ways. I then covered up the other outlet.

I could have built a larger box but I just happened to have this small box which is tight and nice built. It worked great for me. One merit is I can work with both my hands. But, it did not drive properly the very big reeds from the bass blocks.
Attachments
Image4.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg

wout
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: My tuning bellows

Post by wout » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Cool bellows! Can you post a video on how it's functioning? I just started out and I use the same concept, though i thought about instead of using a footpump using an electric one (just have to figure out how to reduce the noise). I don't know how it is going to turn out but otherwise I am just going oldskool with an old bellows from some scrapaccordion.

James
Improver
Improver

Post by James » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:24 am

Ok, I will shoot it. Electric pump? Wonder what it is like. Post a pic when you are ready?

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:16 am

steampunk cool....
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

wout
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by wout » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:06 pm

I will definately!

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Very interesting, thanks James!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

James
Improver
Improver

Post by James » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:54 pm

There, I have made a video. That's my mantle clock ticking away in the background. I didn't realize it could be that loud.

https://youtu.be/UMrGVimuod4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Ok, something very interesting that I was thinking about and it shows something that I was not really aware of how much of a factor it would be... and this is that it takes a lot more air over a longer period of time and at a more consistent rate so that the reed has time to stabilize, and give you more accurate reading.

I am no expert, but from what I see, the meter has not had enough time to decide exactly what it is that it's hearing to stop moving between too sharp or too flat and therefore, hard to say "yes it is exactly 2 cents sharp" or whatever, and deal with it.

I think I would want a goal to have a tuner that can give me a minimum of 6-7 seconds of steady tone from the deepest of notes (the ones that take the most air to sound properly), and from what I see on my own accordion, playing the deepest bass note requires at least a 1/2 to 3/4 amount of travel from a set of full sized bellows. Now, that or (obviously) a motorized suction or push of air at a constant velocity from a (either) a very quiet and close source or a larger long hose to keep the local ambience as quiet as possible and not "infect" what the computer or device is hearing.

Fun to speculate. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

James
Improver
Improver

Post by James » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi Jerry,

Really fun to speculate. These days, after I saw your post, I have tried several tuners and found the following occurred to me:

1) The tuners. Of the tuners I tried, none of them stopped however long I played a note. I used my accordion and the testing bellows. I also played endless long notes on my Yamaha keyboard. I set it on each of the five versions of "flute" besides some other sounds.

2) Velocity of the air flow from bellows. When I pressed on my foot driven pump, the air flow from it was not constant as I could not maintain a constant pressure on it. But when I took away my foot and the bellows expanded on its own, the air flow seemed to me to be constant. But the tuners I tried still never stopped. The bellows did not last longer than 6 seconds.

3) The reeds. I noticed, be it in the accordion or on my testing bellows, the reeds I tried did vibrate at slightly different pitches.

So, conclusion? How about this: At least, to fine tune a reed on a testing bellows, it does make sense to have, at least, a constant air flow that lasts a long time. Only motorised bellows can do this job.

Fun to speculate.

Mr Mark
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Mark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:43 am

Interesting idea!

I'm wondering what the purpose of the (wine?) box is for though.

Does it act as an air pressure stabilizer or something to that effect?

Would it work with the black tube routed directly to the hole?