Bass button stuck fix?

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
Yffisch
Improver
Improver

Bass button stuck fix?

Post by Yffisch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 pm

My favorite accordion has got a little bit into trouble...or it was. My C bass button got stuck sometimes when I pressed it a little bit too hard. That is not very nice during a performance.
I opened it up but it was a little bit too much that I had to remove to get to the C button. It's quite an expensive accordion so I did not really want to touch that much.
Though, i finally decided to squeeze in juuust a tiiiny bit of bicycle oil in the C button (from the outside through the small gaps). And then I pressed the button hundreds of times and all the adjacent buttons. Then suddenly it worked and it never gets stuck again no matter how hard I press.

The question is - is this a dangerous solution for the accordion in the long term? Or is it legit? It works very fine now though, but I got a little bit worried after that.

debra

Re: Bass button stuck fix?

Post by debra » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm

In most cases when a bass button gets stuck it is because it is slightly bent. Make sure the button goes through the hole completely straight. However, this happens mostly with buttons on the outer row (bent by either the hand or wrong handling in case or bag), and less frequently with buttons in other rows.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Sebastian Bravo
Novice
Novice

Re: Bass button stuck fix?

Post by Sebastian Bravo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 am

Oil is the easiest way to get it working again, but in long term, it is the worst solution.

As "Accordion Revival" page says, Oil will get dusty with the time, because of the big air flow of the accordion, particles in the air will get on the oil, and can get the problem back. Diego Juica, a friend who repairs pianos, told me the same thing, oil attracts dust.

So, the best solution is, to get the button out of the bass mechanism, and then, polish the contact zones. Also, using soft sandpaper on the wood part where the button causes friction, to remove any greasy particle.

But, as you did the easy way, i`m sure in some months the problem will be back. So, when that happens, you know what to do.

I hope the problem doesn`t get back, but i told you the best solution to get rid of it forever.
debra wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm
In most cases when a bass button gets stuck it is because it is slightly bent.
That happens too, so when you get the button out, check if it is straight or bent. If bent, try to straighten it.
I'm Sebastian and i Play on a Hohner Concerto III called Modesto.