How to remove a stuck register slider ?

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
Geoff de Limousin
Star
Star

How to remove a stuck register slider ?

Post by Geoff de Limousin » Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm

I got lucky today at a Brocante ( flea market)... or so I thought when I bought a nice old CBA by Buzzi Frères, Paris. Complete and in good condition but not fully playable, I thought it was probably a 3 voice musette by the size and weight. When I got it home I was very pleased to find it was not MMM but LMM ... BUT:

One of the register sliders is stuck fast. It is the type that fits inside the sole of the reed block. The slider is made from an aluminium alloy I guess an amount of corrosion has caused it to jamb in the closed position.

Short of slicing through the side of the sole to lift the wood and remove the metal slider has anyone had success with a less invasive method ? :?
Last edited by Geoff de Limousin on Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nagant27
Star
Star

Re: How to remove a stuck register slider ?

Post by nagant27 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:42 pm

I think I understand your question. In my experience, granted it is limited and solely a hobby, I have found if you remove the reed blocks on top of the sliders, and loosen the tiny screws holding a plate over them just a touch, then try them again. I have loosened little by little until they get moving, and then can retighten and might be ok.
I also have taken the plate right off and cleaned the sliders and then reassembled and have had success too. Just make sure you keep the sliders in the same place and position. Again nothing professional here, just what I would try. See if it helps.

Geoff de Limousin
Star
Star

Re: How to remove a stuck register slider ?

Post by Geoff de Limousin » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion nagant27 but my stuck slider is the type which is in a slot inside the wood of the reed block. and not the more modern type where all the register sliders are in a metal sandwich on the foundation plate.

I am guessing that this slider has been stuck for many years and I doubt I'll get it out... but perhaps ..... thanks again.