Reed problem

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
AccordionTop126
Beginner
Beginner

Reed problem

Post by AccordionTop126 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 am

I am having a strange problem with a newly rewaxed 3 reed piano accordion. I have noticed that some reeds have been going flat and even failing to sound. When I pulled the blocks, I found several inside reeds coated with a clear, sticky substance that was causing the malfunction. It appears that something is evaporating, or "sweating" onto my reeds. My only guess is that there was something wrong with the accordion wax I bought. Needless to say, after countless hours cleaning, re-valving, and rewaxing, I am frustrated. Has anyone experienced this problem? I have restored almost a dozen accordions and never experienced this before. I have had to pull offending reeds and clean with solvents to remove this sticky coating.

debra

Re: Reed problem

Post by debra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 am

I have never experienced this. How hot is your wax when you do the rewaxing? And did the reeds initially (say in the first hour) work well?
I just did a complete cleaning, revalving and rewaxing on an accordion. It is now resting for a few weeks for the wax to settle before I do tuning. I hope that when I start tuning I do not experience a similar problem... (but never had this before so I'm hopeful).
Your problem is quite strange because when reed plates lay completely flat on the reed block when you do the waxing nothing should get to the inside. SO how did that "coating" get inside the resonance chambers to then end up on the reeds?
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl