Rusted Keyboard axle

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Rusted Keyboard axle

Post by gstas » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 am

Hi, great forum and its great to be here. I have an accordion with a rusty keyboard axle. I managed to get the axle to spin but cannot pull it out. Anyone got any tips here?

debra

Re: Rusted Keyboard axle

Post by debra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 pm

There are spray cans with a rust remover. The biggest problem is to reach the points that need to be treated without getting the stuff on other parts of the accordion.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:18 pm

yes access is the problem

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:46 am

If you have enough rod exposed to fit a drill chuck on it, spin the rod and start puling it gently.
:tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am

theres not alot sticking out but ill give it a go to see if there is enough for the chuck to hold onto. thanks

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 pm

I've used vice grips and turned and pulled slowly but surely when there is not much to grab. Good luck!

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:25 am

Cordless drill did the job. There was just enough to grab onto.

Thanks

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Cool, good work! Why did you have to take it out? Overall cleaning? Some keys need repair? Got photos? ☺ Hope it goes back in as easily!

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Replacing the rod is the same in reverse. Once it's out, clean it, and wipe lube on it (WD40) and spin it back in. "DO NOT TAP IT IN" as this will cause keyboard damage.
:tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 am

Keys are clicky when pressed so i want to change pads under keys. I have new axles so i will be replacing old rusty one with a new one. Ive done a few of these but never had one this hard to get out before. This has 2 axles, one for white keys and one for black, but fortuntaly the black keys are ok as that axle is way to short.

debra

Post by debra » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 am

Glad to hear that you got the rod out. Once the white keys are removed there should be good spots where you can grip the second rod to start moving it enough for the drill chuck to be able to hold on as well.
When you replace the felt under the keys make sure you replace it with the same thickness because otherwise you change the opening of the pallets. I learned that you can measure the thickness of the felt at the ends, where no key has been pressing on it for many years.

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am

The black key axle is rusted too. i can rock it a bit with long nose pliers but not enough to push the axle out further. Fortunately i can get away with these ones if i cant get axle out as there are only a couple of noisy black keys and i have access to replace felts.

jollyrogeraccordions
Novice
Novice

Post by jollyrogeraccordions » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 am

I wouldn’t replace an axle because it's rusted. Clean it up with emery cloth and reuse it.

debra

Post by debra » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 am

gstas wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am
The black key axle is rusted too. i can rock it a bit with long nose pliers but not enough to push the axle out further. Fortunately i can get away with these ones if i cant get axle out as there are only a couple of noisy black keys and i have access to replace felts.
When you have access to the axle (since you removed the white keys) you can try to first use rust remover, steel brush or whatever is needed to get the axle to move more. You can probably even see where it gets stuck and remedy that part. Accordion repair is perhaps 20% solid knowledge you can learn in an accordion repair course (and a lot of which is covered in sites like accordionrevival) but 80% is detective work and trial and error (hopefully not too much error) diy work. Which explains that a course can only complement but not replace years of experience.

gstas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gstas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:15 pm

it wouldnt budge, but fortunately i didnt need to remove black keys. I managed to do what i needed with black keys in place.