The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

First recital

Your recordings, audio or video - let's have a listen!
Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

First recital

Post by Bohemiansecret » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:59 am

Three months into his journey with accordion.
He made us proud. Mainly that he shares with so much love.

https://youtu.be/xuu1Q_DPNWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: First recital

Post by Glenn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 am

Wow, great progress for such a youngster. Obvious to see why you would be proud. And the hat is a cool touch.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:27 pm

He is progressing well and continues to show tons of potential.

Keep him smiling and keep telling him to raise that right elbow! :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

artelagro
Star
Star

Post by artelagro » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:08 pm

He never even flinched. My accordion stops making any sound when a Mic enters the room.
Well done - and keep us updated please.
Garth

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Thank you for supporting words.
That elbow - how to help him raise just it and not whole shoulder and right part of his body? Excersising without playing?
Also has anyone experienced lumps when taking on accordion?
I have noticed that after daily practice the top of his left hand developed a lump and swelling. He says it does not hurt. I got him one of those supression socks to put on.

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Great progress and great that he's getting the confidence and experience. About the lumps, could the left hand strap be too tight?

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Bohemiansecret wrote:That elbow - how to help him raise just it and not whole shoulder and right part of his body? Excersising without playing?
There is no weight on the elbow, so it really has little to do with the height of the shoulder. If the shoulder comes up with the elbow, he is over straining, and should not be. What happens is that there is a muscle in the shoulder that flexes as the elbow comes up, this is the small muscle that needs exercising, not the trapezoidal muscle, which would raise the shoulder.

Try this yourself... place your hand on your belly, place the elbow near the body. This would be the wrong position for accordion. Now, gently move the elbow away from the body until it is sticking out sideways from the body... that is the right position for playing the accordion. Do NOT raise your shoulder up or down.

Do you feel what muscles are being used between raising the elbow and raising the shoulder? He should be able to differentiate between the two, not raise the shoulder up but move the elbow away from the body. It's just practice and body awareness.
Bohemiansecret wrote:Also has anyone experienced lumps when taking on accordion? I have noticed that after daily practice the top of his left hand developed a lump and swelling. He says it does not hurt. I got him one of those supression socks to put on.
A bump on the top of the hand? Never had that from playing the accordion and never heard of anyone else getting something like this ever, because there is nothing happening on that part of the hand while playing, so it cannot really cause that kind of damage... unless perhaps his hand is under the strap while pulling, which if he is playing his bass (and in his videos, we see he is), I cannot see how that part of the hand is even close.

Are you sure it is from playing the accordion and not some accident?

I did manage to several times in my life to get a bump on the top of my hand, but it was from things like martial arts or accidents that kids get like banging it against a wall or having a ball hit it. Never had anything more serious than the hair from my wrist and legs worn off from sever amounts of playing. :)

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Thank you dearly.
Teacher loosened the left hand strap and we are ready for Summer holidays challenge practice.
Still having bit troubles lifting just the elbow but I think with your advice Jerry I might get through as I realised by lifting he thinks to pull it upwards.
One other thing I noticed when he manages to do the right thing his wrist bends upwards unnaturaly.
I just dont want him to end up with carpal tunnels by 15 :D am I too protective or controlling. He loves the music bit heaps but not much bringing awareness to his body

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Chances of carpal tunnel on an accordion are low, however, that elbow down will actually accellerate it faster. You want that elbow up to nearly totally eliminate any chance of carpal tunnel. As long as that elbow is high you promote good technique. I cannot even count the endless hours of accordion practice as a kid, and yet in fact, I never experienced carpal tunnel until I was in my mid 40's and it was from computer keyboards, never the accordion. That said, I had good form regulatly beaten in to me... lol

And yes, strictly speaking, it's more of the elbow moving sideways, away from the body, not upwards. You want the wrist nearly straight at all times.