The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

Strolling By The Garry

Your recordings, audio or video - let's have a listen!
JiggeryPokery
Novice
Novice

Strolling By The Garry

Post by JiggeryPokery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 am

I mentioned in another thread that I'd written some songs. Here is one I've got "recorded" and wondered what people thought. I'm pretty thick skinned and won't take offence if people are critical but please try and be gentle.

I should stress this is NOT me playing; this is the output from the midi-file I created when I wrote it.

This is a three phase waltz that gets thicker as it goes. It is called Strolling By The Garry

https://soundcloud.com/john-tully-12966 ... -the-garry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JiggeryPokery
Never put off until tomorrow that which you can put off until the day after

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Strolling By The Garry

Post by Matt Butcher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 am

I did enjoy it, very much, it's something I'd enjoy playing. (Not everybody gets the point of Scottish slow waltzes round here, some people want them to go faster, but I try to explain.). I'm not as deep into Scottish music as you are but I do listen to Scottish trad regularly and this seems to be in keeping with the style.

I think one thing about publishing your music is that it's not to hard to get something out there nowadays, it's getting people to notice it amongst all the thousands of others. A small book (free as a PDF or an actual book or computer files or whatever) will draw in some explorers if it's somewhere they would be looking anyway but many people go for what they know and I think nothing beats getting a tune heard and playing it out yourself.

Anyway, good job, I think.

JiggeryPokery
Novice
Novice

Post by JiggeryPokery » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Happy to send you the sheet music Matt (and a backing file with the counterpoint and piano et all). Won't take me too long to create it.

Thanks for the comments; for a moment I thought it was that bad that I'd stunned everyone into silence.
JiggeryPokery

Mike K
Improver
Improver

Post by Mike K » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Not familiar with Scottish music but I will add my comment on the backing track. I think it takes away from the song somewhat. Sort of sounds too mechanical and stiff. Great that you are creating your own sound, if I find a need for Scottish music I will have to check back in with you. The melody line is very pleasant. Sounds like a digital accordion although that does not appear to be what is in the picture. Personally, I prefer the accoustic.
Mike Klemen
Richmond, VA USA

JiggeryPokery
Novice
Novice

Post by JiggeryPokery » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks Mike; you are very observant, it is not a real accordion, that is the MIDI voice on the application I used to write it. One day I'll set up my recording options properly and record the individual instruments.
JiggeryPokery

Corsaire
Expert
Expert

Post by Corsaire » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Very nice -I enjoyed it too ! A lot of people think that waltzes have to be fast, Viennese style, but the romantic slow Scottish waltzes are fun to play, and nice to dance, or listen to.
There were some nice, unexpected little turns of phrase in the music and I've always liked three part waltzes. It will sound even better played on an "ordinary" accordion !

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Jiggery, yes please if you wouldn't mind sending me a PDF of the notes, I'd really appreciate it, I enjoyed it and it sort of ticks a box ffor something I'd like to try. I should warn you though I'm not much of a player and I have a million and one calls on my time so I can't promise when I'll learn it or if the way I play it will be any good! The backing would be good to, again if you don't mind, I think I can save it to a memory stick, stick it in my midi expander and "press play"? Much appreciated.

JiggeryPokery
Novice
Novice

Post by JiggeryPokery » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:49 pm

PM me your eMail address then Matt. I'm just getting ready for a gig tonight (in my other life as a singer) but will try and take care of it tomorrow.
JiggeryPokery

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:34 am

Hope the gig went well, what do you sing?

Bill V
Improver
Improver

Post by Bill V » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 am

Loved it,scottish airs are my favourite music.