Composing

Your recordings, audio or video - let's have a listen!
Glenn

Composing

Post by Glenn » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

Dear Accordionists,

I'm not sure whether this posting is under the correct rubric (admin will correct me I'm sure :roll: ) but I would like to start a thread on composing for accordion.

I am entirely sure that many of you secretly dabble in writing your own tunes. It's natural for a musician to do that.
My question is aimed at trying to see what the best approach is writing and noting down (so you can play it the day after) the music you dream up.
Coming from a classical piano background I of course started with a blank sheet of manuscript paper.
That didn't work too well. One reason is that it is hard to write clearly with an accordion strapped to your back.
Then I tried using my synth/keyboard with an accordion sound.
That didn't work as you tend to dream up things that do not feel good or easy to play on the accordion itself.
Thus I'm stuck between two approaches, none of which are really working.
Any ideas?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Pippa
Star
Star

Re: Composing

Post by Pippa » Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 am

It's not something I've done myself, but you could record it, and write it down as you play it back?
32 bass Weltmeister PA, 120 bass Voskhod PA (Soviet, it's in Estonia), 120 bass Hohner Polyphonic 400 PA

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 pm

That's what the zoom is for

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Nothing spectacular, but for a couple days I thought maybe I'd try a tune a day, of the kind we play for Morris - short, simple. I put them down with musical notation software, which is for sure awkward with a full size accordion on one's lap, but it can be done if necessary. I have long arms.

The tunes were simple enough that I could just learn them, though, and then set the accordion down and do the notation. There you get to the key advantage of the software, it includes playback functions and so forth, so to the extent they'll suffice, it's a self contained composing environment. I use "Lime", but I'm probably the only one you'll ever hear from who does. (You'll also hear a lot of people complain about the tools they use, and you won't hear me complain much about Lime, but who knows. I have no experience with anything else.)

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 am

Hi Donn,

May I ask what sort of musical notation software you use?
I did a search and found Sibelius looks to be a market leader but it's not exactly free.
Anything more down to earth that is worth trying for an experiment?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 am

Sure - when I mention "Lime" in the above text, that's the name of the musical notation software I'm talking about. It isn't free for more than trial use, but at $65 it isn't much for what you get. Now that I look at it, though, they're a bit old school - literally, I suppose, as it comes from a university music department - and haven't bothered to set up any Paypal or whatever, they just want a check in the mail - drawn on a US bank. Which of course might be much more trouble for you than it was for me.

Their home page: http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/main.html

It has a lot of features, and is pretty well documented, though the only other software I have ever used was on my Amiga, so I don't have much to compare with. It can take MIDI input (note entry via piano keyboard) and output (playback of multiple parts goes to specified voices on your external sampler.) I use the Macintosh version.

For a feature example - standard practice is apparently to start the musical notation at the start of the tune, even if that isn't at the beginning of a measure, but not all editor software supports that. Finale, which seems to be the most common among my crowd, is an example - people hand out music that starts with some rests, and you have to ask, does someone's part have music there, or is this just "that Finale problem?" Lime does support it.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks Don,

I see Joihnathan on the midi thread suggests
MuseScore which is a free, open source notation software.
I think I will try that first.