Informal videos on 3 row Bayans

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Informal videos on 3 row Bayans

Post by TomBR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I like this guy's videos and music, though I've no idea what is going on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVaYTNNwliE
I like:-
- the fact that they are often on three row bayans, ordinary and older looking (though I could be wrong there) as opposed to magnificent great modern concert machines, yet they have that glorious bass sound
- the music he plays rather than the more formal Russian stuff. In this clip I like the swingish piece from 55s and the
polka-ish tune from 3m10s
- his enthusiasm and the fact that he often talks so fast, though I have no idea what he's saying!
- The interiors with all those heavy wooden mouldings
- that, if I've got it right, I've learned to pronounce bayan as "buy-AARN" (buy as in purchase.)

:D
Tom

henryk753
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Informal videos on 3 row Bayans

Post by henryk753 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Tom, my late fathers friend played one in Russia and He pronounced the name as -buy-ann.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Henryk, yes, I was trying to indicate the emphasis on the second syllable but the capitals tend to overdo it a bit!

Probably no one's very interested but since I asked my Russian speaking nephew about the vid, here's his reply. I asked was the video about selling the accordion, and said that I didn't expect Russsians to talk so fast!

"He does speak quickly, but from what I can understand he says he's got a custom Bayan. He talks about a famous accordianist who used to play such an instrument back in the 90s but mumbles their name before playing a little ditty as a reminder of that time. Then he talks about the tuning of the instrument. Then he plays a bit more then mentions a Muscovite author/musician who used to play such tunes called something like Vladimir Temnov and says "remember this?" before playing his last tune and then recommending the instrument to true admirers of Russian Bayans."

debra

Post by debra » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

I have no idea what he says about the tuning of the instrument, but I have only one term for the way this instrument sounds: "out of tune". The instrument plays MM. Some notes have absolutely no tremolo and some do, and that is never a good thing.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

Morne
Star
Star

Post by Morne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi Tom, I meant to reply earlier, but here are some thoughts.

The player, Vladimir Butusov, is really good. I believe he's a classically trained bayanist.

That specific bayan is relatively old. They are usually from around the middle of the last century. The general boxy look, the stepped bass board and also the shape of the treble button board edges are indicative of that older style. Older garmon's also typically have that shape on the treble board edges.

That bayan model "Yasnaya Polyana" (ясная поляна) is somewhat legendary for having quite powerful basses (which many non-bayanists probably think sound terrible). If you search for that video's title in YouTube you'll find examples of more recent instruments. It is made by the Tula factory. Here's a modern version: http://www.harmonica-tula.ru/index.php? ... list&id=20

Regarding pronunciation: note that the Russian word bayan consists of 4 letters: Б-а-я-н = B-A-YA-N. The YA is a single letter/sound hence why that bit as a whole gets the emphasis. Writing pronunciations on a forum is a bit hard I guess, but the nature of that YA character causes the "y" we write to not sound as part of the first syllable ("buy"), but rather as part of the second, thus leaving the first as a shorter "bah".

Three rows are still the most common bayan in Russia. I don't know when they started making the five rows more, but most (if not all) of the self-study books from the 60/70's that I've seen show only three rows. We should also not necessarily look at the three rows as being "student" or "lesser" models from their perspective. There are definite advantages to having five rows, but there are even big three row models meant for concert purposes, e.g. this 67 treble with 150 bass: http://www.harmonica-tula.ru/index.php? ... list&id=23
(That's obviously a modern incarnation of that model, but I believe the original ones are a couple of decades old).
TomBR wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am
He talks about a famous accordianist who used to play such an instrument back in the 90s but mumbles their name before playing a little ditty as a reminder of that time.
He is referring to "rock bayanist" Fyodor Chistyakov (around 00:48). I've posted about him before: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3442&p=34998
The song snippet he plays is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2LXBgrEOg

If you're interested in other Russian bayans, have a look at this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kotep100/videos
This guy sells various bayans, garmons and accordions, but it gives you an idea of the various bayan models. Most of them are three rows.
Here he demonstrates a modern Yasnaya Polyana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RAgmzHxIJU
Last edited by Morne on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Morne
Star
Star

Post by Morne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 pm

debra wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am
I have no idea what he says about the tuning of the instrument, but I have only one term for the way this instrument sounds: "out of tune". The instrument plays MM. Some notes have absolutely no tremolo and some do, and that is never a good thing.
Maybe I've become tolerant of instruments that are not perfectly in tune, and perhaps what older bayans sound like, but I cannot hear noticeable tremolo. At least not as I would normally think of an instrument having it on purpose. Does it sound out of tune like on more than half of the instrument or only a note or two?

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 am

Great info and links! Really enjoyed that, thank you Morne.

I do like that Chistyakov clip - like a Russian Steve Harley! I certainly wasn't expecting the slide guitar.
Cheers
Tom