Hiroko Ito

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Hiroko Ito

Post by maugein96 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 pm

losthobos wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm
I'm not sure it was ever Galliano's plan to resurrect musette....i imagine he just liked a few of the old tunes...he plays trombone on opening track of Nino Roto album....and plays mighty fine too...
Speaking of antiques I think you'll find the old tour de France musette food bags fetch more than accordions from the same era....
Hi Terry,

You're probably right there. It seems to have been the case that the aim was to create a "new" style rather than to save the old. I'm currently listening to Galliano's "New Jazz Musette" album, and I'm sorry to say it but I probably never gave the guy a chance.

The issue was that people like Marcel Azzola had already tried to convert we musette types to listening to other types of music, but he never quite managed it on his own. When he took to the stage all the punters were looking for musette, and maybe allowed Marcel the odd delve into jazz and the classics, but they were waiting for him to hammer out the old favourites.

A kid named Eric Comere, a pupil of Maurice Larcange, began to play jazz type stuff similar to Galliano's, and he was superb at it. Larcange even helped him to write a few jazz type waltzes, but they were probably about 10 years too early. He was one of the few pupils of Larcange who never ended up being a clone of his style and technique.

Eric Comere now plays classical music, in a style which is a bit on the "heavy" side for me.

It now seems obvious that it took somebody like Galliano, who wasn't instantly connected with musette, to be able to persuade people that the accordion could be put to other "more serious" music.

I will agree with you that some of Galliano's music is superb, although there are often bits of it I just don't quite "get", probably on account of the fact that I have never studied music seriously. I can hear Clifford Brown's trumpet coming through in his "Ballade pour Marion".

It certainly requires you to listen with ears that are better than mine, but at least I'm never waiting for Galliano to hurry up and get the serious stuff played so that I can hear him playing an old favourite. That's just not in his bag.

Here's the link to the free sound samples on that New Jazz Musette, if you haven't heard it already.

Given time I could maybe learn to "Parliamo Galliano", you never know.

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/v ... zz-musette