Not just for Dancers...

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Not just for Dancers...

Post by losthobos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 am

Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Not just for Dancers...

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

"They call it sycopation in New York." ☺ Applies equally well to playing your accordion.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Great clip!
(Putting it rather seriously) I think a significant part of musical, and cultural, history in "The West" over the last 50-100 years is the shift from on-beat to off beat!
Apparently the great Gospel singer Mahalia Jackson in the 40s-50s used to have to teach (mainly white) audiences to clap on the off beat. (And they found it hard.)
Listen to recordings of Irish traditional music from 40 or more years ago and there's an on-beat emphasis that has changed significantly to how the music is played today.

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 pm

The reason I posted clip, aside from being a dancer, is I was at accordion festival last year and amazed at the amount of different time persuasions 😉 I heard when players tried to clap along with the music....players who were sight readers in accordion orchestras......gobsmacking ....but made me realise why some players sound so wooden
And syncopation as far as I'm aware os neither on the 1 and 3, or 2 and 4, but occurs on the 'er and' beats inbetween...especially pushing to the 8...

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Terry,

Can I play that stuff on the spoons or not?

Yes, I know what you mean. I used to know a guy who sight read tunes for the penny whistle, which he played mechanically and with no sense of rhythm at all.

Another friend of mine managed to drill out and widen a sound hole in one of his whistles, so that it was out of tune, but he still played it from the score, regardless.

Dancing is something I'm quite good at, but the rest of my body doesn't always follow my feet!

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 pm

i'm sad to say if you only manage to half grasp the nature of rhythm on the spoons then you're gonna be damned...best master before trying ensemble with such an exposed instrument....
i remember being with Harry Hussey one night and he just stopped playing after 8 bars... the audience , albeit well meaningly, were clapping on the 1 and 3...later he told me he could feel them slowly killing the tune with each clap so he felt kinder to just stop and put it out of his misery...
For those that do want to swing try playing something simple...say Fly Me To The Moon...but rather than bass/chord rhythm patterns just try and inject a snappy Root and Chord together on the 2nd and 4th beats of the measure,,,,not as simple as you'd think but totally changes the lilt of the hips...worth practice...
Swing Out Sisters ;)

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 pm

What if I tried it on three spoons?

Tried this out Terry (on the box) and it sounded more like "Fly me to Dunoon". Tried it swinging my hips and fell into a door! Guess I don't have enough experience of playing that kind of music to be able to do what you suggest. I can play the tune OK, so I might try and work on it. One or two chords stumped me but I'll get them eventually.

I've tried it in various keys, a whole bunch of them actually, until I realised I was sitting on them!

I know what you mean about an audience clapping out of synch. Somebody plays a few bars and they think they've got it sussed. A lot of audiences expect the same tune to be played the same way every time, and that's boring. Quite often I'll just make bits up as I go, but don't ask me to remember what I've done, or what the notes were. Changing synch is definitely harder than improvising as you've said.

I'm away to look for a fourth spoon!

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 am

I'm just relieved you're not playing with knives......

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:21 pm

losthobos wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 am
I'm just relieved you're not playing with knives......
Sorry Terry,

Missed this one. It takes years of meticulous study and a tremendous amount of knowledge of music theory to be able to handle the spoons professionally. Once I've managed them and passed all of the necessary examinations I'll maybe go with forks next. Knives will be my last choice as I'm told no two players can decideon the correct fingers to use, once they start losing them regularly!