Real Paris accordion

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Real Paris accordion

Post by maugein96 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Very few of the big name French accordionists were Parisian.

Armand Lassagne is one of the very few pro players who hails from the city, and just seems to get on with the job of playing and teaching. When he has time he makes the odd album, and Le Tournis (Dizzy) is probably his best.

Here he is with "Made in Valse", probably made more famous by Marcel Azzola, but I rate Armand's version as the best I've heard.

The tuning of Armand's accordion is "americain" (between swing and the two voice version of musette which is known in France as "celeste"). This tuning is now preferred by most French players, although it has been around for a very long time. The old three voice musette is still played, but is nowhere near as popular as it once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDzugwQ-f0M

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Real Paris accordion

Post by losthobos » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 pm

F>..He can Swing...
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Real Paris accordion

Post by maugein96 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

losthobos wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 pm
F>..He can Swing...
He's a very underrated player in France, and he'll be getting on a bit now at about 84. Don't know if he still plays, and was perhaps better known as a teacher.

An ex work colleague of mine from Paris used to rave about him, and said he wished he'd made more albums.

His style was probably not quite one thing or another, and that probably affected his popularity.

I dearly wish I could have got one of those Crosios he plays, as the sound was awesome, as here. Tune was mimed but I've posted it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mcnr7tQGQM